Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 9
  • I had never played an MMO when I signed up for Faunasphere.  I just used my standard Username - bribling.  I also did not realize it would be the name used in the game.  When I began to play I saw so many fun names and wished I had chosen something more fun.  Eventually my game friends began to call me Brib for short and I loved it.  When I signed up for Glitch I decided to be different and just go with a variation of my middle name Anne, Annie.  It was neither creative nor especially fun, just different.  Some of my FS friends didn't know me and others still called me Brib so I changed my name to Brib Annie.  I like it, has a sentimental ring to it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • mine is my middle name because i never really liked my first name. But now that my glitchean is named Richelle i dont like the name as much and am beginning to appriciate my first name
    Posted 13 years ago by Richelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is my initials. However, a lot of ppl think it's short for Show Off ... I like that.
    Posted 13 years ago by SHOff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Maximus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is a pun of sorts. 

In Portuguese, "Do Caralho" means "Spectacularly Good!"  The word caralho literally means "oak" as in tree. It also has other profane usages only not in this context. "Duke Caralho" to a portuguese speaker might sound a little like someone was saying "do caralho."

Fun with puns!
    Posted 13 years ago by Duke Caralho Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is from the best Power Rangers villain :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Rita Repulsa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Rita, I recognized yours right away! Lol. Don't send any Puttys after us. :P
  • Palomides is one of the Knights of the Round Table.  I wanted a name from mythology to use for my character in World of Warcraft years ago, and Palomides was the first that I found that hadn't been taken already :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Wessles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bunyip = an australian yeti.  Bigfoot.  :D  I used to be ohsuzicue, but I dislike using my own name.
    Posted 13 years ago by Bunyip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's a character from one of my favorite books :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Ravna Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just my name. I have (& have had) so many different handles all over the place, but more & more I prefer being myself.
    Posted 13 years ago by Alison Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My normal online name for the past 15 years has been Lattegato. But when a friend issued a Glitch invite, I didn't honestly think I would like it. I didn't play FS and it seemed similar. So I just wanted a quick name for a game I probably wouldnt play for more than 2 hours. I shouted to friends on FB "I need a user name dagnabbit!!" and no one responded with a good one. So I used that.
    Posted 13 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is descriptive, since I'm from Mars.
    Posted 13 years ago by Martian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is a quote from a children's poem by a famous Dutch writer. It's a bit complicated to translate...
    It's about a fairy with freckles, considered to be a failure and very unhappy because, as anyone knows, all fairies are supposed to be lily white ;)
    Her mom sends her in desperation to see the Fairy King, in hope of some charity. When the fairy stands before him she is so nervous that she stutters and mixes up what she is supposed to say. In stead of "I am a fairy with freckles" (in Dutch: ik ben een fee met sproeten") she says something like "I am a frairy with feckles" ("ik ben een spree met foeten"). The latter translates to "I am a spree (which doesn't mean anything in Dutch) with feet. The King answers kindly: "I can tell that you have feet but upon my word, you are the first spree I have ever met..."
    And because she is so unique, she is welcomed to stay and treated like a fairy princess. The moral: even if you are a complete failure as a fairy, you can be a killer Spree.
    Posted 13 years ago by Spree Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love that story Spree. I want to be a Spree now. I think you need to start a group. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Holly Waterfall Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A long time ago I was very active in a White Wolf live action troupe.  I needed to come up with a name for a faerie character, and looked at Katharine Briggs' encyclopedia for inspiration.  The character I was looking for most closely resembled a Hob.  So I took that name and started playing with it.  Eventually, I came up with Hobnail.

In the years since I have learned that Hobnail is also a style of pottery and a type of nail used in shoes; I've named one of our cats Hobnail, and I've used the name in a number of online games (from WoW to Legends of Zork).  It's a name I love now.  And I look forward to using it here.
    Posted 13 years ago by hobnail Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My husband's gaming name on every game he plays is ToeLivz (his name is Tomas and friends call him "Toe" for short). And not being so creative in the name area, once we got married I started using "Wife of ToeLivz" as my gaming name. Then our daughter is also playing and she is Princess ToeLivz :~)
    Posted 13 years ago by Wife of ToeLivz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My user name is a nickname my father started calling me when I was a little girl.  It's the second syllable of my middle name paired with the first syllable of my first name.  
    Posted 13 years ago by Nalyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, Daffy is short for Daffodil and my real name means Golden Flower.
    Also.  I'm a bit daffy.
    Posted 13 years ago by Daffy Lurksalot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My username is usually novakitty or judykitteh, but I decided to go with Kitty Poop because it sounds funny. Also, it was an old nickname that didn't last very long :)
    Posted 13 years ago by KP Doody Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's just my first name sans the first syllable. I originally had the idea to use it because it's what my twin brother used to call me when we were young. It was easier and quicker to say, I guess. Before Glitch, the only other time I'd used it was years ago for GunBound.
    Posted 13 years ago by Xacau Feera Blin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Devon sounds like something between devine and demon. Eleven - my lucky number. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Devon Eleven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We have 100s of names for our cat (Actual name=Chapin, early derivatives include chapers, chapes, ape face, chape ape, the ape, chump-chump-chapers, etc) and much later comes the name Cat Face. When signing up for the beta that immediately seemed like the perfect name for a Glitch.

But, the other day in World Chat someone replied to something I wrote and then made a reference to something called Weebl's which I was unaware of. Seeing this thread made me think of it and so one google later i'm happy to have seen another Cat Face: www.weebls-stuff.com/catfac...

@Nanookie: omg Nanookie Nackhouse such a great name!

@Eldon Kenlon: by your system i am aka Akefra Steeni

@Shouty Mcpoopypants I would totally steal your name for our whiny cat if he wore diapers!
    Posted 13 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's the name I use whenever I'm trying something new.
    Posted 13 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use to own a ceramic shop and pour molds and I would get a lot of mud splatters,so on a chat line way back I was calling myself mudspots and used it ever since..
    Posted 13 years ago by mudspots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is what my little brother started calling me as a kid, when he couldn't pronounce R properly. Anne-Marie got shortened to Ann-Mi.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ann-Mi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sakmet is sort of like an egyptian Athena, but more of a badass. Sorry, but I need her around these days. I have my reasons. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by sakmet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's the name of a visible star.

@Homsar - saw you floating around the world a while ago, assumed that was where it was from. Nice work =)
    @ Shouty McPoopypants - that's a fantastic name!
    Posted 13 years ago by arcturus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's based off of the name of a roleplay character I use- Rick. He's a second personality to me.
    Posted 13 years ago by xxTheRickxx Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It means "seedling" in Hebrew, and I picked it before I knew that this game would require me to pet seedlings in order to stay happy. It was the name we called my 11-month old baby when she was still a fetus. That's not her name now, if you really want to know.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nevet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is a joking reference to a deity in a D&D campaign I run. The entity pops up a lot and is my regular deux ex machina
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ghost is from international sailing races around the world, it is a manouver that is allowed for 36 hours at sea to go off radar, it is called ghostland.we are sailors so befitting to be called ghost 777.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jellybelly Baby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What a great thread idea! These are wonderful little stories... thank you, all, for sharing!

I heard of Lilith as an old Biblical tale of Adam's first wife, who was created with him but refused to let him lord it over her, so she hightailed it out of Eden and struck out for parts unknown. I kinda liked her spirit and independence, and when I found out there was more to the old story, and that she wasn't as cut-and-dried as the original feminist... well, I liked her even more.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lilith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wanted a different username that what I usuailly choose, as that is a elvish name. That didn't fit with the artwork I saw from Glitch. It should be more playfull, melodic.
    The name Miriamele came to mind. It has a lovely melody and can be shortened to Miri, and I think it fits my Glitch perfectly.
    The name is from the book-series "The dragonbone chair" from Tad Williams.
    Posted 13 years ago by Miriamele Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Was beta tester for BFG and could not think of a username, then I thought "well who are you?" then thought I am an honorable woman, so named myself Womanofhonor and kept that name when on FS, then spent the rest of time trying to live up to it! LOL . Now for Glitch I decided to find a short username I decided on "Joy". Although I have been through incredible sorrows, I have always forgiven and come up joyful! I believe we are measured, not by who we are through the good times; but who we are while we walk through the fire! I decided to be JOY! :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Line of Birds is my real NDN name, given to me by my tribe in a traditional naming ceremony, and it refers to the way migratory birds fly - the physics and cooperation involved in that formation.
    Posted 13 years ago by Line of Birds Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's from an old old comic book. Magic is green!
    Posted 13 years ago by mirth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My user name in several places is often D-Sky, because D is the initial of my first name and sky the end of my name. Sometimes D-Sky is already used so I tried Sky-D and finally it became Squid!
    Posted 13 years ago by Squid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's a name of cocktail containing champagne, vodka and vermouth. Don't recommend trying it out, unless you are Chuck Norris or someone alike.
    Literal translation from Estonian is "Marsupial Mammoth".
    Posted 13 years ago by Kukkur Mammut Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have had two usernames on glitch.  The first was my real name.. Second I came up with while studying for a nursing school test.  Osteo...
    Posted 13 years ago by Osteo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Osteo before you wrote that I was wondering if you were some kind of a bone Doctor
    Posted 13 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine derives from my actual name (Jo = first two letters of first name, Ma = first two letters of middle name, R = last name's first letter), except the "La" which is "the" in spanish, in it's female form (male form is "El").
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy La Maru Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am in fact, a magical unicorn.
    Posted 13 years ago by A Magical Unicorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use a different SN almost everywhere else (soooo much the opposite of this SN), but when I was signing up for Glitch, I was reading some of the suggested types of names for the game and from the sound of them, Little Miss Giggles fit in perfectly.

It's the name of a children's book from the Little Miss & Mr. series. My aunt used to own almost all of them when I was little, and they were my favorite thing to read at her house. Little Miss Giggles was one of the ones that I remembered best, though Little Miss Shy would be the most suitable for me (I just didn't think of that one that day). My parents used to joke that my sister was Little Miss Chatterbox.
    Posted 13 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was sure I'd already posted about this? Maybe it was another thread.

A cepheid, in layman's terms and at the risk of oversimplifying, is a pulsating star. Cefeida is the spelling in some languages. I'm not an astronomer, I just needed a quick name for a sci-fi story I was writing. I never finished it, but I kept the name to use online wherever I didn't want to use my usual login. New places...places I wanted a fresher start in. 

You choose a name, online, and as the years go by it starts getting weighed down- before you know it, a distinct personality has wrapped itself around the handle and you can no longer use the name without assuming it.

Cefeida, in my unfinished story, was headed out to space, alone, clueless, unimportant, uncertain of anything except his fear of looking back. Or her fear of looking back. I never did figure out which gender they were.

For a while, it was a 'can be anything' nickname. Now it's got its own baggage. Most of it is here, actually.

Meanwhile, I've changed most of my 'serious' online accounts to either my real name or MagicMadzik... but if I did that here people wouldn't recognise me anymore.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Reviving since it's not that old and there seems to be novel interest in the idea.
  • @snygyst

Yes, us brummies have been rather short-changed by this naming system!! Nothing ending in Bir sounds right does it :)

Oh, by the way...my original name, VioletDiamond, was just brewed up in my head on the spot when I first loaded Faunasphere and was asked to put in a name...I suppose I was influenced by the colourful world I was about to enter. I had to change it here to Violet for...shall we say...practical reasons!
    Posted 13 years ago by Violet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was a name I used to try a bad vampire game a while ago.  I didn't think about the possible lewd implications until much later, which now seem a little annoyingly frat boy-ish.  I just thought it sounded funny, particularly in the context of an overly serious Gothic setting.

Anyway, honestly, I didn't expect to play Glitch for very long, so I just recycled a name I figured I wouldn't use again.

Usually I like to do something with marine life, like "Scrod Bridges" or "Punxsutawney Krill".
    Posted 13 years ago by Biff Beefbat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For the younger players who might not have any idea who my name comes from:

youtu.be/0IDZEa7jSt8
    Posted 13 years ago by Jackie Paper Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So I went from Kitty Poop to KP Doody because there is an abundance of cat/kitty names here! KP still stands for Kitty Poop. Doody was added because it's a play on KP duty. Also, my name is Judy and my little cousin used to call me Doody when she couldn't pronounce the "djuh" sound.

ta-da!

+1 @AMU

@Joy La Maru "Maru" means "round" in Japanese :D Joy the Round! I love your name :)
    Posted 13 years ago by KP Doody Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 9