Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Mine is from my teenage years and my best friend Chuckie. He would become my dance partner for many, many years...Dizzy was his refernce to my intellectual incapabiliites and Dazz ..the sound of my initials.....We were a hell of a team!
    Posted 13 years ago by Tilly TrinkleHouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is pretty simple: I play clarinet, and it conveniently sounds like a given name.
    Posted 13 years ago by Clara Net Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @snygyst  - I remember the MSN Zone, as well as old MSN Chat (Microsoft Chat?  I can't recall exactly what they called it.)  They had some really amusing names to choose from.  I ended up being called Undone Pandora, which I actually really liked!
    Posted 13 years ago by Clara Net Subscriber! | Permalink
  • .....i yam what i yam lol =)
    Posted 13 years ago by Gemineye Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @jakie, I have had the privileged to meet and play music with the peter and paul. unfortunately as you probably know, mary passed away recently. oh and BTW,  I am only in my teens :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Recently I needed a username for a "serious" situation that I didn't want to get mixed up with my less than serious alter ego I used on the rest of the web. I was chatting with a friend about it, and I suggested something simple. She liked it and said it was "Quite fitting!" and I like that sentence, so I used QuiteFitting there.
    When signing up for Glitch, I thought about that name, and how boring the story behind it was (ironic that I tell it here now...). I decided to go with the explanation (to Put it Quite Simply, a friend made it up) as my new name!
    Put Quite Simply didn't quite fit, but I rather liked the abbrevation of Q.

Hm. I suppose such a long story makes my title a misnomer...
    Posted 13 years ago by Put Q. Simply Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's a band name. XD That's all. I couldn't really think of anything else. My birthday is in August, so it just popped into my head.
    Posted 13 years ago by Augustana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made this name up when I was about 11 and have used it as a screen name for countless sites and characters I have created. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Saqueas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's my gender-flip name. Much nicer than my real name.
    Posted 13 years ago by Frederik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine means star in Haitian Creole (my mother tongue).
    Posted 13 years ago by zetwal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've used "Brekkana" for every first female character in any new game I play ever since I played Rubies of Evantide, and then World of Warcraft. Ahhh I miss those two games .....
    Posted 13 years ago by Brekkana Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have run a D&D campaign off and on since 11999. One of the major characters (not an actual player) is named "Foke". I was making fun of myself and my heavy use of that being when I named my character. FWIW , "Foke" comes from the words F(og and sm)oke.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is The Guild's main character's username :)
    The Guild is a sitcom web series about a group of online gamers.
    Posted 13 years ago by Codex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is Thai so... I'll let you find the answer
    Posted 13 years ago by Phochai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Saerain is a name I constructed from Tolkien's Sindarin language about ten years ago, meaning ‘Bitter Wanderer’ (or more like ‘the wanderbittering,’ but no one checks it). Which stopped being appropriate for me a long time ago, but I still like the way ‘Saerain’ sounds, so I've kept it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saerain Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My real name is Sarah Thee Campagna and I am the Primary Robot Creator at CyberCraft Robots.  So:
        Thee Robot Creator
    Posted 13 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Three Robot Creator

my name means artificial intelligence that will one day take over the world hehe
    Posted 13 years ago by Artilect Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is my nickname IRL. The story is best told in person, but it has to do with llamas, Trapperkeepers, and haircuts. Hafta keep the mystery up!
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A nickname a friend called me back in junior high/high school.. last name is Scully, so a play on words with the medical condition of scoliosis... 
    Posted 13 years ago by Sculliosis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My dog's name is Blue... but that was taken... so Bleu it is :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Bleu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was " ameixa " in FS and keep the same nick for the Glitch.

" Ameixa " means " Splum " in portuguese because im brasilian :-)))
    Posted 13 years ago by ameixa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • At one point, one of my usernames was Vorbis (as in the Discworld character and/or ogg audio codec). When I played MapleStory, they wouldn't allow Vorbis because Orbis is a location in the game, so I changed it to Vordus, and it's stuck since then.
    Posted 13 years ago by Vordus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There was a bottle on the table,
    3 fingers in a glass filled with ice.
    there was no way I could have named anything else.
    Posted 13 years ago by fouroh4 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "TK-421, why aren't you at your post?" All stormtroopers are prefixed 'TK' and a four-digit serial number. Long live the Empire!
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nait is a nickname that's been following me around since my BBS days, when I was an awkward kid and hopelessly obsessed with fantasy novels, particularly ones whose characters sported cumbersomely long names. "Nait" was the only part of my excessive, would-be-pretentious-if-I-wasn't-obviously-a-huge-nerdball online handle that people could pronounce at meetups. And it's a shortening of my real name, so it stuck!

P is the first initial of my last name. I added the 'ee' for phonetic reasons (and also because haha lol pee lolol).
    Posted 13 years ago by naitPee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My nick is a mix of three portuguese locations. There I was born (Miragaia), lived and worked  this past year (Maia) and where I stand looking on the other side of the river (Vila Nova de Gaia).
    And I like its dubious meaning! :)
    Posted 13 years ago by mira gaia maia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've always been called 'G', and I tend to consider myself an oddball, so I best represent that with a backwards G - a 'reverse' G, if you will.
    Posted 13 years ago by ReverseG Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In my high school senior english lit class, I was the only one who knew the particularly odd habits of the cuckoo bird in regards to how it lays its eggs. The cuckoo bird lays its egg in a foreign bird's nest that already has its eggs. Its gestation period is very quick, and when the baby cuckoo hatches, it pushes all the other eggs out of the nest and basically the parent bird whose eggs it just killed believes this baby cuckoo is its own and raises it that way.
    Posted 13 years ago by cuckoobird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • acreditando means "believing" and I use this name in all my accounts

I like when gitches friends call me "acredito" that means "I believe"
    it's pretty funny here in Brazil

and for those who have difficult on type it, just write a-credit-and-o (I discover that with a friend :)
    Posted 13 years ago by acreditando Subscriber! | Permalink
  • About 10-11 years ago I bought a deck of tarot-like cards called the The Faeries' Oracle. There is a blank card that you have to decorate yourself that depicts/symbolizes you. At the time I was just learning the tarot and was (still am) interested (read- curious) about spirituality, philosophy, all religions and the like so my card and it's name became 'the curious faery".....shortened to, of course, curiousfae.
    I always wonder where people get there screen names so this thread was fun to read!
    Posted 13 years ago by curiousfae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is Innie, cause I'm a girl. (Boys are outties)  Where did I get it....Hmm, started way back in Active World days.
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Haha mine is the name of my pillow pet.
    Seems pretty lame now.
    Posted 13 years ago by Moose The Monkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I installed Everquest, I had the intention to name my wood elf after the front man of Einstürzende Neubauten, Blixia Bargeld. On the server my friends and I had chosen, I guess there was another Einstürzende fan; 'Blixia' was taken. I deleted the 'a', finished character creation, and I have been Blix ever since. :-)
    Posted 13 years ago by Blix Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My username came from a previous game in which I used to be addicted to (not so much any more). A friend of mine had played it before I started, and she wanted me to join under her referral so she could get some free referral credits. I kept blowing it off, and after she nagged me everyday, I signed up with the username with a bit of angst at the moment. "OK!!!!" [I signed up now, are you] "HAPPY?!?!"

Used it ever since. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by OkHappy? Subscriber! | Permalink
  • maximus... nice. i've memorized many lines from that movie as well.

arcturus. learned something new. i just thought it was the name of the enemy in starcraft.

reverseG, i go by "G" in some circles as well. 

all right so i go by several names. mdizzle, md, madd, madd dawgg.

it started when i was in the 6th grade. my half-brother who lived with his mom was visiting. being my older brother, i looked up to him. he brought his madden 64 game over. he showed me his team. the mad doggs. 

in my usual form, i asked about the GG spelling of dog. he told me about snoop dogg. he also said it can be spelt dawg. from that point on, i mimicked my brother but i used madd dawgg (a mix of both.) oh the DD came into play on mad because mad dawgg looked imbalanced.

fate would have it that i behave like a mad dog as well.

oh... mr. dawgg. yes. i discovered GNE through the5k.org. i requested an invitation. when invited, i felt like it was an important something. never had been invited to test something let alone a game. seemed fitting to take a more proper version of the name. i didn't want to come off as being mean. so Mr. Dawgg it was.

thanks for reading.

see you there.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is my name!
    Posted 13 years ago by Schuyler Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Innie - The usually refers to the navel :) Interesting twist there.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, Guillermo is the spanish version of the name "William," and Gamera is a giant flying turtle from outer space who attacks Tokyo.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tofu Casserole Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Back when The Matrix first came out, there was a lot of hype and advertising websites and so forth where you could get some of the extra little stories and details.  One of them had a generator where you could get your Zion/Hacker name.  Kross was the name it generated for me.  I liked it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kross, the Empress Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks Fokian. ;)  It has caused many a laughs....
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I was trying to think of a user name, I wanted to reflect what I love and who I am.

I love storms,  thunder storms, snow storms, rain storms, dust storms, wind storms. They are dramatic and powerful and fill me with a sense of awe.

It also reflects my temperament.  I deal with frequent mood swings which can be very unpredictable, painful and destructive - but I always know that there will be a calm after the storm.  

Call me Stormy!! 
    Posted 13 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of my nicknames in RL is Mrs. Moo (or Moo-Moo, to my dearest friends!)

I wasn't sure if the character I started with now would be my "forever" character (wasn't sure what would happen when the game re-sets, etc) so my hubby (Mr. Moo) suggested Clarabelle!  Clarabelle is the name of the super-silly cow character from really old Disney cartoons.  I think it's perfect :-)
    Posted 13 years ago by Clarabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's same name I've been using on the Interwebs since 1991. I started out on BBSes as The Mage, then it became KhaOS, then finally because khaos.org was taken as a domain, khaosworks, as in "chaos works" or a factory that produces chaos.
    Posted 13 years ago by Khaosworks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My friends and I were watching sucker punch and my friend Caira suggested for all of us to have cool names from now on. So, my name changed to Shuttle and it's been that way ever since. I AM SHUTTLE, LOVE ME NOW :D 
    Posted 13 years ago by Shuttle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My Son Trey and His Lil Sister Zoey
    Posted 13 years ago by Space Cowboy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine comes from a book named Moominland Midwinter. Written by Tove Jansson. It is one of my favorite books.

µ is a little girl who does what she likes to. Sometimes aggressive, sometimes nice, sometimes likes to joke and laugh. Just like my daughter.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lilla My Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For me, Marc Almond will always be one of the most talented, twisted and wonderfully beautiful singer/songwriter. I'm glad his surname is also a tasty one (I really like eating almonds), so I can use it without being a boring, crazy fan. ;)))
    Posted 13 years ago by Almond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WAAAAYYY back when  (in the days of modems I am old) I was called Unico after a character in the movie the last unicorn...started playing games from Big Fish Games I used my gmail handle bonnie51462...when naming my character I named it SookieYaki after 2 of my cats (sisters) my daughter thought their names were stupid but I loved the way it sounded so SookieYaki I became (two wild and crazy girls they are)
    Posted 13 years ago by SookieYaki Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Eudevie is a misspelling of Eau De Vie, "water of life" in french (was taking it in HS at the time). I liked it and thought it was different,so I've used it ever since.
    Only found out later that "Eau de vie" is also a type of alcohol. I don't even drink. Actually hate the taste of alcohol.
    However, when people say it they find it hard to pronounce(my old guild in FlyFF used skype for when we played) so they just called me E. And it stuck for my TF2 fandom.
    Posted 13 years ago by Eudevie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've almost always used the name "Pesh" on websites I've been on (short for Peshtigo--a city in wisconsin and my old username on a site many many years ago). However, I used that mostly on virtual pet sites, and I felt like I should take on something different for MMO's. I've occasionally used the name "Zooey" on sites (just because I like the name xD also my dog's name is Zoey. Yes, this means I'm named after a bitch. u_u), and I tried that here and it was already taken, along with Zoey. So, with a little letter switching, I got Zoei! I like shorter names, so I like it all right. Except when people call me Zoel. x'( It's Zoei with an i!!
    Posted 13 years ago by Nea Subscriber! | Permalink