Topic

Where did your username come from and what does it mean?

I'm always interested to know these things and I know I can't be the only one! :D

Mine is the name of my favorite color. A vivid, bright, bold blue. I also want to name my actual child this, some day. I'm going to be one of those weird parents that names their kids all sorts of weird things (not as farfetched as "Pilot Inspektor") like Silhouette or Viridian, haha.

Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• @Guillermo:

Attacks Tokyo? Gamera is friend to children! A hero!
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My friend Vermilion doesn't like to post on the forums so I'll tell his story:

He wanted a name that matched mine, haha. Vermilion is also a type of color, and if you think about it even further, both Vermilian and Cerulean are cities in the original Pokemon games.

I'm kind of in love with him but he won't let me have his babies. :O
  • I was born a bad man's son.
    Posted 13 years ago by malo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had the musical notation wikipedia article open for a project when the invite for the game came in.  A caesura is a stop in poetry (between statements) or a total stop in music.
    Posted 13 years ago by Caesura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is my avatar name from Second Life and has become pretty much my online name over the past couple of years.
    Posted 13 years ago by Angel Slocombe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine includes four letters of my real last name. And yes I love the color PINK, but not exclusively. I also really love purple. In other game forums I've had to put letters behind the name Pinkey but I was elated to find that with Glitch it wasn't necessary.
    Posted 13 years ago by Pinkey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not sure where my name came from, honestly! I have used Pomegranted before, but Pomegrandy sprung to mind and I was so impatient to play that I just went with it. I like grand things and pomegranates. Unfortunately I think it makes it sound like my name is Randy, which it totally is not.
    Posted 13 years ago by Pomegrandy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Widdershins is an old Scots word for counter-clockwise, which I think suits the off-beat nature of the game. :)

I collect words I like the sound of.
    Posted 13 years ago by Widdershins Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My roller derby name is The Grave Little Toaster...so, Toaster is what I go by the most, online and in "real life" :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Toaster Subscriber! | Permalink
  • nyan cat  :)
    Posted 13 years ago by nyan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ONLY THE BEST VIDEO ON EARTH.
  • Toaster: that might just be the best derby name I've heard. Love that movie.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Moments before I activated my invite, I happened to be looking at a screenshot from The Herculoids of Gloop (of Gloop and Gleep, the formless fearless wonders!), and I figured what the heck.
    Posted 13 years ago by Gloopy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Theodore Nott was a really minor character in the Harry Potter series who was a pure-blood Slytherin and just as clever as Malfoy, but without all of the arrogance. J.K. Rowling wrote an entire subplot about him and actually tried to use it twice, but couldn't fit it in.

Off topic, but anyone else stoked for Pottermore?
    Posted 13 years ago by theodorenott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i've been emdot since 1997. :)

i love em-dashes and sign my email "m."

so one of my friends called me emdot. it's stuck.

(p.s. can we play the game now? i wish it was open.)
    Posted 13 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not very original: it is my first name on Second Life.
    Posted 13 years ago by Miro Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Enjoying this thread!
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My dad wanted to name me Storm when I was a baby and my mom hated the name but I think it's kinda cool :D So some people call me Storm as my nickname.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mons†er Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love your name!  lol  I think your dad was on the right track  :-)
    Posted 13 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Awesome sauce thread!

I was being pretty dim and clutsy when I signed up - I was cursing myself for being a real meathead! Then there came that time in all new website visits when the computer screen asked me for a name. That word was stuck in my brain at the time, but I read something about Glitch being social and I was interested in meeting some new people, so it softened into 'MeetHead'.

Just think of me as a soft and friendly cuss! :D

(I also like it as a possible shortening of "Desk, meet head!")
    Posted 13 years ago by MeetHead Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My nickname is a pun on a character from Alice and Wonderland -- the Mad Hatter -- as I often wear plaid fedoras.
    Posted 13 years ago by The Plaid Hatter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love plaid. I wear it all the time. My primary sneakers are plaid. And I just almost bought a plaid scarf, even though it's summer, just because it was plaid and matched my shoes, lmao.
  • Mine is because I'm a nerd and love Doctor Who. When I saw the fry clothing item I knew what I had to do.

The Oncoming Storm is what the Daleks call the Doctor.
    Posted 13 years ago by The Oncoming Storm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use the same nickname for everything.  It's just a permutation of my regular name, and I think it's seeming a little stodgy.  So I decided – for Glitch – to try something totally different, totally juvenile, that had no connection to me whatsoever.  Doctor Barf made me laugh, so...
    Posted 13 years ago by Doctor Barf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • P.S. I'm not a doctor. And I'm not barf.
  • If anyone pronounces chicgeek in a way that does not rhyme, there may be hell to pay and esplainin' to do.
    Posted 13 years ago by chicgeek Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pucifino
    Posted 13 years ago by xoxJulie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lord of the Rings. The greatest of the nine, a.k.a. The witch king of Angmar. Sorry you have to be a fan to understand.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lord of the Nazgul Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My precious little dachshund is named Baxter.
    Posted 13 years ago by Baxterina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The lord of the Rings. The greatest of the nine, the witch king of Angmar. Sorry you have to be a fan to understand.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lord of the Nazgul Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's from a coupla places:

One of my favorite Nietzsche quotes, from Twilight of the Idols: "That is an artist as I love artists, modest in his needs: he wants only two things, his bread and his art--panem et Circen." I love the way that he takes the idea of "bread and circuses" for the masses and likens the fickle and powerful muse of art to the demanding minor goddess in Homer's Odyssey.

Plus, the more I play, the more this scenario sounds Glitchian (quoted from Wikipedia): "She invited Odysseus' crew to a feast of familiar food, a pottage of cheese and meal, sweetened with honey and laced with wine, but also laced with one of her magical potions, and she turned them all into pigs with a wand after they gorged themselves on it." Squozen cheese and grain, jars of honey from the groceries vendor, and HOOCH! Maybe that's what piggy eggs should be made of...

When I was doing my art history degree I also did work on Dosso Dossi's painting of an Enchantress, often thought to be Circe. I got to see her in person when I studied in Italy in the spring of 2010 and spent an hour just staring at everything in the painting.
    Posted 13 years ago by Circe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is self explanatory.
    Posted 13 years ago by Some_Random_Guy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine comes from my mind. Archado (Arch as in Archeology, ado as in many Português words like azulado), comes from my loves of Archeology and the Português language. And it sounds cool in my head.
    Posted 13 years ago by Archado Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's my name :-)
    Posted 13 years ago by Jihad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made my username up before entering the game for the first time.  Now I have started to feel like my name seems more like a 'street name' in Glitch than a player name.  But I still like it so plan to keep it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I choose my name from something I painted once, that saying on it is  Wipe yo' feet honey chile
    Posted 13 years ago by Emerald Fern Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I made up the names Ethras and Kathro when I was 6. 
    I used Ethras for myself and my brother used Kathro(I sometimes use it as a mule name).

'Eth' was the end of my name and the beginning of my brother's name, so I made it the first part. At the time, raspberries were my favorite fruit(or berry) and still are to this day, so I added 'ras' at the end, thus creating Ethras. 
    Pronouced Eth(like in 'Beth')-ras(like in 'ras-p-berry').

Kathro was more random, as it was for my little bro' who was one at the time.
    We had a cat at the time, so cat turned into 'Kat', then I imagined my bro' being a 'hero', so I took the 'e' out and Kathro was created. 
    Pronounced Kath(like in 'Catholic') -ro(like in 'row your boat').
    Posted 13 years ago by Ethras Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A couple of months ago I was asleep when my boyfriend patted my (lower?) back. I then started sleep-yelling (and repeating) "That's MY BOT!" 

We think it was my weird way of saying that's my butt? :::shrug:::
    Posted 13 years ago by thatsmybot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you were having a bad dream! maybe about somebody stealing your 'bots.  
  • When I first was online in like 1994 I had a cute "handle" that was a derivative of my real name. As more and more people got online, I'd sign up for services and find it taken. So then I got a truly unique online name, which I happily use to this day for most things. The internet felt smaller then, and no one was ever looking for me or even knew who I was to care to look for me. Unfortunately, now that the entire world is online, and I have had a blog and stuff for one million years, it's pretty easy to link my "real" name to my internet handle, which has resulted in some odd situations like when I was hiring for a position at my company, a guy had clearly been doing searches on me and mentioned my dog (seen on flickr under my internet handle) in his cover letter...it felt kind of yucky.

So when I came here, I wanted a name that was truly anonymous, that I'd never used before anywhere, so that I could be entirely new with no backstory. As I was creating my Glitchen I picked the set of eyes that are bugging out in surprise, and when it came to picking out a name for this creature "bugeye" summed up the main impression I had of her. Then later I switched to the button eyes, which I've been playing the last three tests with, but just yesterday (before I even saw this thread!) I switched back to the bugeyes. And some people have taken to calling me "bug" in chat in the game which I like! 
    Posted 13 years ago by bugeye Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine's fairly self-explanatory. Seeing the rest of your names, I should've chosen something more inspired.
    Posted 13 years ago by Veritas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • my favorite xmen character. i felt i identified with her most. too much in fact. i feel i have almost no identity of my own sometimes, taking on this or that job/chore that is put upon me. ive gone through several different aliases online. ultimately i feel i either dont *own up* to the name or deserve it. always on the outside. i think im stuck with r0gu3. the slight l33t is a nod to my faint programming background.
    Posted 13 years ago by r0gu3 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I imagined Glitch to have some spawning surprises appear in front of me, to which I would say "eureka!" ... and the rest is history.
    Posted 13 years ago by Eureka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love this question!  Mine is not very exciting either.  I teach school, and "Snappy Jo" is one of the names you can still call kids and not get in trouble.  :)  It was either that or "Chum Chicken" and SnappyJo sounded happier.  That was me in FS too.  I thought I might find some old acquaintances if I used the same name.
    Posted 13 years ago by SnappyJo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When watching a Glitch video i said "that pale guy looks like a  Sith Lord from Star Wars"
    so I jokingly used that name.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kipple is, as far as I've ever known, a word coined by science fiction writer, Philip K. Dick.

Here is what Philip K. Dick has to say about kipple:

"Kipple is useless objects, like junk mail or match folders after you use the last match or gum wrappers or yesterday's homeopape. When nobody's around, kipple reproduces itself. For instance, if you to go bed leaving any kipple around your apartment, when you wake up there is twice as much of it. It always gets more and more.

No one can win against kipple, except temporarily and maybe in one spot."

Though it initially wasn't intentional, my glitch did end up looking a bit kipply*, so I'm pretty happy with my doofy choice in name.  He's got his broken straitjacket (how useful is that?), buttons-for-eyes that flop out or go lopsided when he's confused, and I'm certain his insides are comprised of some 80% lint and 20% odd sized bits of string.

*Kipply - (adjective) the quality of, what, being like kipple?
    Posted 13 years ago by Kipple Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was impatient to play and didn't have any other existing usernames/nicknames to pull from... so I just made something up that I guessed might fit well with the atmosphere of the game, without ever seeing any part of it except for watching the trailer a while back.
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mine is part of my artistic alias: Drakkar Vance :P
    Posted 13 years ago by Eriol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name was originally Belle, but I changed it because I started to think it was too boring.

Now it's Gitchy (not g-L-i-t-c-h-y, like many glitches have been calling me...) because when I was a baby, my mom called me her gitchy goo. I like how she used her imagination to describe her ever-evolving little lifeform, so I renamed myself Gitchy.

However, I think I'm going to change it again. My real name's Christine and people often call me Christina, so my pet peeve is being called a slightly-incorrect name. It's especially weird online since everything is spelled out clearly.
    Le sigh x____x

@Kipple, I LOVE Philip K. Dick! Nice name background!
    Posted 13 years ago by Gitchy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ygramul is the Spider Queen in the German fantasy novel The Neverending Story. I liked the way it sounded! (I'm a male by the way)
    Posted 13 years ago by Ygramul Subscriber! | Permalink