Topic

Pet Lovers Unite!

So I had a pretty rough night last night and I felt really lonely when I went to sleep.  My boyfriend had spent the summer living with me and just left Monday, so going to bed alone in this big bed is very depressing.  I had a hard time falling asleep and tossed and turned for quite some time.

Sometimes I am so surprised at the bond that I can have with my cat (Luna).  The bonds that humans can have with animals can be so strong even though they can't talk or really understand us.  It's a very primal connection that cannot be satisfied by any number of friendships with other people.  My parents have had pets before but my cat is the first pet I have ever owned since I moved out for college and she surprises me everyday.  She loves to be taken for walks, go for car rides, play fetch, and she loves hide and go seek (she gets me to chase her and she hides and stays there until I find her...its taken me hours to find her before and she patiently waited).  But last night I was too upset to play with her so I ignored her meowing and attempts to get me to take her outside or chase her around.

But last night I came to sleep alone, I finally fell asleep in a terrible mood.  When I woke up this morning I couldn't be in a bad mood though, because my cat was snuggled up right next to me snoring a little bit.  It's hard to feel sad or angry next to the cutest cat in the world.

Our pets bring us so much joy, and even though they can be shitheads sometimes (knocking over potted plants, peeing on the carpet, etc) we love them anyways!  

Posted 13 years ago by Laurali Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• No matter how rough things get, my 2 dogs (Manson and Porter) are always willing to snuggle or play.  It's going to be sad day when I lose Manson, but it's coming soon.   12 year old wolf-hound mix that is on his "last legs".

My cat however...  I keep trying to give her away because all she does is eat and stay as far away from me as possible.    I'm not sure why, because on the rare occasion she gets close enough for me to per her I really do try to be loving.     <shrug>
    Posted 13 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes cats can be too independent!  I am lucky I got a breed of cat that needs a lot of human attention/companionship because I know a lot of cats that just want to be left alone!

I'm so sorry about your dog, we'll be here for you if you ever need it <3
    Posted 13 years ago by Laurali Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have the neediest cat in the world. He's a big baby. <3 Wakes me up at 5-6am everyday for petting. (Really.)
    Posted 13 years ago by Lung Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have 3 dogs and a cat. 
    After my 3 children, they're the beings I love most in the world. 
    Actually, the only beings I love in the world. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a 19 year old redfooted tortoise named Lois and 4 guinea pigs.  And a husband. Do husbands count? lol
    Posted 13 years ago by Feylin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We have eight cats, which is enough that they have their own whole social order.  Believe me, every cat in existence has it's own unique personality.
    Posted 13 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Feylin:  I'm not married but I'm pretty sure husbands would still count as pets.

We have 2 Bichon Frise (which look like little stuffed toys but act like the most ferocious dogs on earth) and 4 cats.  The sweetest, most loving cat we have was actually a stray that lived by our house for a year and a half before my mom took him in because of a blizzard.  He always runs to greet me when I come home from work, he'll run upstairs to my room to see if I'm there and despite being about 30 pounds (of both fat and muscle), he still catches bunnies and even gave our 17 year old cat a mouse to play with.  I plan on moving out in a couple of months and am hoping I can bring Tommy along with me.
    Posted 13 years ago by Homura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I live alone with a rescue dog. His name is Fritz, and he's some kind of terrier/chihuahua/corgi/kelpie mega-mutt. I adopted him 2 years ago, and he's 4 now.

After working through his deep-seated behavior issues and my own complete ignorance about how to handle and train a dog of my own, we are Best Pals and I can't imagine life without him. And I imagine he can't imagine life without me!

Dogs are awesome. I love mine. :O
    Posted 13 years ago by naitPee Subscriber! | Permalink