Topic

Best Tea!

I got this brand at Big Lots for $2 and $2.50 (depending on the kind of tea) and it is amazing!  The green tea has such a bold flavor but without the bitterness (I usually add citrus to replace the tea acid with a tastier acid (yay buffers)) and flavored black teas have so much of that flavor packed in.  I got the Mango, Strawberry and a variety pack of green tea though I think they got a redesign because I don't see individual Mango and Strawberry.  Also, OMG I see Lychee!  

Plus it's sustainable and single-origin!  A bit pricey on the website though, but if you see the Dilmah brand in stores and love tea, check it out.

http://onlineshop.dilmahtea.com/

Posted 13 years ago by Homura Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Sorry guys, I just love tea!
  • Russian Caravan is my all time favourite.
    www.whittard.co.uk
    Posted 13 years ago by Phochai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like Harney and Sons.  They do their own importing and blending, and go direct to the growers in Japan, China, India, etc. to select the teas they buy. The website and catalog are fun to read too.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lelu:  I like it.  It's a pretty fun site to read.

Some of my other favorites are:
    Mound of Olives Treasures:  There's only about 8 flavors and it isn't a very strong tea but the flavors are nicely proportioned with the tea.  I like the Apple Cinnamon, Earl Grey, Berry and Chai varieties.  
    Zhena's Gypsy Tea:   We have a tea from them called Chocoberry (which seems to be retired) that has a subtle hint of berries and cocoa.  I really liked their Teas for women's health plus the sachets they used were made of corn silk, they're organic and fair-trade.
    Ito En:  They have really good bottled tea.  I like the Teas' Tea and how it isn't really sweet and yet you can still taste the fruit flavors.  
  • I like Mint tea. And Apple Cinnamon.
    Posted 13 years ago by KitkatCat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • neat sites! thanks @Homura.  
    Chocolate tea sounds yummy.  Too bad that Chocoberry variety is retired, that sounds delicious!  I wonder how their Chocolate Chai is.  That might be good. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like tulsi tea a lot - it's incredibly good and good for you, too. It has antioxidant properties and helps the body manage stress. The plant extract is used in ayurvedic medicine and is considered a sacred plant in Hinduism (and Buddhism too, I think).

The thing is, I'm a sucker for anything peppermint flavored so normally I get this stuff but it's kinda hard to find in any local stores.
    Posted 13 years ago by LitaPie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks, Homura! I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for it! Lychee green tea is deliiiicious but so uncommon!
    Posted 13 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As far as types of tea go, I'm a big fan of lapsang souchong. I don't drink a lot of blended or flavored teas but if you want to check out something really nice theres a company called Tay Teas that makes some really nice stuff
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fave tea-seller is Yumchaa.co.uk.

Fave type? I just like my good ole English Breakfast.

Along with everything else. Not a huge green tea person unless it's made properly-- which is usually only at Asian restaurants. 

Oh, I also LOVE Verbena/Luiza/Lemongrass tea. NOM!
    Posted 13 years ago by Jessabelle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I either buy from a local vendor, Zhi Tea in Austin, or order from Harney & Sons.  I am fond of all black teas, I also get a craving for a nice oolong once in a while.  I love the Paris blend and HarSha from H&S, but recently I finally learned what the big deal about Earl Grey is from the Earl Grey Supreme by Harney & Sons.  I have never liked it before, but theirs is really great.

When I was in Japan, I became very fond of the toasted green tea that was left in all the hotel rooms.

Tea was a suggested skill for Glitch at one point too: http://beta.glitch.com/forum/ideas/1420/
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Nanookie:  That would be a neat skill if only because you could use the herbs in some way.  Plus all we really have is bubble tea.

I guess in general favorites, I have two categories:  stuff I like once in a while and stuff I drink all the time.  I love chai tea (and yes, Lelu, Chocolate Chai sounds insanely good) but that's not something I drink every day.  Usually, anything with mango is awesome and I'm also a sucker for apple cinnamon as long as it's mostly apple.  I tend to like green tea the most since it's bolder than white tea and yet not as strong as black tea (despite me saying chai is my favorite, I don't really like drinking black tea without milk).  Anything with a rose or berries is good too.

I also tend to dislike Lipton (with the exception of the Pureleaf stuff which is ok).  I've tried a lot of bottled teas and i have to say my favorites are Ito En, New Leaf and Sweet Leaf.  
  • @Homura:  yes, that thread was written waaaaaay before herbs were introduced into the game.  Wish we could make tea out of some of herbs, maybe that is coming.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mmm, tea. I love it. My stand-by is PG Tips, which I tend to drink with sugar and frothed milk, but I'm partial to Mighty Leaf and Numi for store-bought teas (and have been known to  have an entire cabinet dedicated to tea at times). One of the tastiest tea drinks I've had was a vanilla "teapuccino" made with Earl Grey at Argo Tea Cafe in NYC. I've met very few teas I don't like, other than anything by Bigelow, which always has a bitter edge.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @sheepy:  I haven't been to Argo but the owner had a podcast where he talked about tea.   I <3 Dr. Tea!   I can't find it though.
  • @nanookie: Genmaicha! It's my favorite, and I try to always have some in the cabinet. Unfortunately, I'm now being accused of hoarding tea varieties and being cut off from restocking. I may start calling it a collection and displaying it, just to get around this...
    Posted 13 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Jia-pop: I think the answer is to invite people over for a  tea party. Mmm, clotted cream and scones..
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I forgot to mention a couple other teas..

Yes, a good cup of Genmaicha is wonderful sometimes!

Also, I've found a couple different brands that make Aged Earl Grey that is a-mazing. Lady Grey, whatever that means, is also a tasty variant of Earl Grey.

As for tisanes/not real teas, I also enjoy Rooibos tea.. the earthy tobacco smell is wonderful and it goes well with a splash of milk.

Yerba Mate is also tasty, and it's fun to make with a proper bombilla y cuia.

The last time I was curious about how many teas I had, I counted and there were 19 varieties in my kitchen ;)

edit: also +1 for Mighty Leaf, they are a great brand
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I LOVE TEA!

I especially like Tiekuanyin, a style of sweet green tea that is really quite cheap and delicious.  It gets up into the CRAZY SPENSIVE trendy stuff as well, but you should be able to find some run-of-the-mill stuff (still quite good!) in any Fujianese neighborhood.

For red teas, nothing I've tried beats Taylor's of Harrowgate. Their teas are shockingly strong and vibrant. The Earl Grey is almost too much bergamot, actually.
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, I just got some Lotus Sleep Tea from the Oriental market across from my work (The closest thing I found to a company name was the Sincere Trading group and it was a product of Vietnam).  It tastes like your average green tea with a pleasant sweet scent of lotus but the reason I'm mentioning this is because I easily slept 12 hours that night.  I normally sleep about 6 or 7 hours a night and chamomile tea does nothing for me.  Anyway, if you want to get back to sleep, go to a random Asian market and get some off-brand Lotus tea in a pink box.

PS:  Apparently, it has 10 percent of your daily value of Calcium so skip on that glass of warm milk.  
  • I like white tea, for some odd reason.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • White tea is outstanding!  They sell it here (HK) as a cold drink in the convenience stores.  It's wtf delicious.  But strong, I wish they'd cut it down a touch.  But what a great, complex tea flavor!  Crap, I'mma get some now!  =9~
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink