Topic

Favourite book Series?

I'm floundering between the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen believe it or not), the Pendragon series by D.J. MacHale, and the Deltora Quest series by Emily Rodda. I truly don't think I can pick a favourite. I'm in love with fantasy novels. I have to admit though, I'm expecting to see lots of Twilight or Harry Potter answers. 

Posted 13 years ago by KitkatCat Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Yes, I love me some Harry Potter, I mean, if you're asking "book series", it's the top of the crops for me. But I also enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy and I can't wait to see it on the big screen.
    Posted 13 years ago by onizuka83 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like Skullduggery Pleasant a lot :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Amy Galda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh; impossible to pick one - I've been waiting for the end of The Wheel of Time for decades, but I'm not sure it's a fav anymore, or I just have to know how it ends after so long!
    Neal Asher's Spatterjay novels rank pretty high up, as do Robin Hobbs Apprentice Assassin books (not as fond of her later ones).
    Loved The Night Watch series too, and will always have a soft spot for The Earthsea Chronicles, by Ursula Le Guin.
    Posted 13 years ago by Katchen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell.
    Posted 13 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you can call it a series then Tolkien's work: The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings. Even his unfinished stuff is good!

I was really hoping The Dark Tower would be my new thing (I love westerns and fantasy so this seemed like a perfect fit) but I got to book 4 and started snoozing.
    Posted 13 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One series I fell in love with (although it might be a bit young for me, but my grandmother loved it too, so who knows) is the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. It centers around a group of teenagers that were genetically engineered with bird DNA, giving them wings. Fascinating. I read one book in a day.
    Posted 13 years ago by bored no more Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chronicles of Earthsea, especially the later books (and yes, I know some will think me an utter heretic for saying so), but not really The Other Wind.

LeGuin again: Gifts/Voices/Powers. If this is YA, it's extremely challenging YA.

Not really a series, but Mary Renault's Greek novels. (I hesitate to call them "historical novels" because the history is a patchwork at best -- not her fault; there was only so much we knew.)

Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials series, despite that he let it get a bit out of control (too many characters, too many neat worlds underdeveloped).

Pratchett's Discworld, whose range of quality does admittedly start at "completely unreadable," but when it's good, it's very good.

More recent series: Naomi Novik, Temeraire series. Sarah Monette, Mélusine and its sequels. Lois McMaster Bujold, Chalion series (skip the third; it's pretty awful).
    Posted 13 years ago by Clumdalglitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, my greatest love. Then Lord of The Rings and anything by Clive Barker; I'm  waiting for the next Abarat and hoping there will be a third book after The Great and Secret Show and Everville. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I, myself am partial to the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

@Zira, one time I read the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (all of his books in one), and I read it in a week. It made me depressed for the next couple days :(

@shipwreck That's just as well, Blaine the Monorail was the best part of the series for me, and the ending of the series is a huge letdown. Stephen King is the master of the huge letdown, even if the body of his books are usually pretty good.
    Posted 13 years ago by Johnny Triangles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In English: Hitchhiker, Earthsea, Harry Potter (in no particular order).

In Spanish: La Saga de los Confines, by Liliana Bodoc, which deserves translation and a lot of attention.

I'm surprised nobody mentions George R. R. Martin.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm currently reading Game of Thrones, book 2, Ice and Fire, by George Martin. I love, love, love it!
    Posted 13 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • His Dark Materials is probably my favorite book series although it can be a bit dry at times.  It may offend some people with the organised religion vs. science and industry but still, the twists and turns it puts you through make it worth the read.

Discworld is a bit inconsistant but the setting and the interesting characters really make it for me.  Plus Terry Pratchett is awesome!

Harry Potter is up there but uber-fangirls pull the memory down.
    Posted 13 years ago by Homura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lindsey Davis - Falco chronicles, Roman detective, very witty, written by a female with a man as the main character, as I never read detective novels not sure why this has been my favourite.
    Dune - original writer, don't like the spin offs.                                                                                    
    Harry potter (sorry)
    and Discworld - original writers again the spin offs are meh
    Tolkien in my youth about 30 years agoish 
    Posted 13 years ago by Phochai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i love the girl with the dragon tattoo and the subsequent books (even though i haven't read hornet's nest, shh).
    i am indeed a harry potter fan, though i've only read the books and didn't partake in the movie fandom.
    the earth's children series (by jean m. auel) is a series that has held me captive since i was about 11, though the books were far too mature for someone so young.
    Posted 13 years ago by EE Cummings Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @EE Cummings: I love how you choose to write your name (that name) using capitals, but don't use them anywhere in your post. :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Ximenez Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dragonlance (specifically the Amber series is my favorite out of them all), Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, The Nine Princes of Amber series, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (all of them), Oh, my list could continue.

However, my favorite book of all time is and will always be The Princess Bride.
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.  Read them years ago, but they still stand out as my favourite.
    Posted 13 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I forgot Dune! How could I? Shameshamshame on me :(
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned George R. R. Martin too, considering the success he's having. Personally I stopped out of boredom half way through the second book and have never regretted it, no matter how much I've shocked friends with such an unconsiderate gesture. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @bored, Loads of my friends read Maximum Ride, as well. A good friends is reading the manga version, which looks pretty cool. 

Btw, I forgot to elaborate on my books. I'm a fantasy fan. I still can't pick a favourite.

Artemis Fowl- An Irish teenage criminal mastermind, Artemis Fowl, discovers a civilisation of fairies, and gets into a load of trouble with the fairy police, namely the LEPrecon(leprechaun. Haha. It stands for Lower Elements Police recon. As you can see, the author LOVES wordplay) unit in particular. Especially after stealing their gold. Very humorous. 9 books in all.

Deltora Quest- An adventure to find 7 different gems from a fabled belt, in a land of magic and monsters. There's actually 3 different series in it. That's the first series. There's 8 books in the first series, 3 in the second and 4 in the third.

Pendragon- Very cool, very cosmic-y series that is fairly exciting. Lots of talk about the universe and an evil demon trying to conquer it all. Also quite funny if you appreciate sarcasm and understatements. 10 books in all.

Yup, I'm a fantasy nerd.
    Posted 13 years ago by KitkatCat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got Deltora Quest for my kids, then read them all. Pretty neat series.
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. ((I want a watch-dragon!))
    Posted 13 years ago by Phoebe Springback Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I was little Deltora Quest totally owned.

I think maybe the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, although I can't say I was left all that satisfied in its conclusion.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hated the end of the Dark Tower series- felt really cheap, which is too bad, because I loved pretty much everything preceding the very last chapter.

Also really love William Gibson's Bridge trilogy.
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah I know right!!! Last chapter was just the biggest freaking let down. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • David Eddings, The Belgariad and Mallorian?? something like that 2 sets of 5 books
    Posted 13 years ago by Suzy Spring Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Katchen, reading night watch now and also love earthsea.
    Posted 13 years ago by Artilect Subscriber! | Permalink
  • For a while I really loved The Wheel of Time.  It has gone on much too long now, gotten too complicated and has outlived it's author.  After about Book 8 I began to forget what was going on.  I'd like to read a one vol. synopsis of the whole story sometime after it is finished.  Not going to happen but I may find something similar on the Web.

I read mostly mysteries but got hooked on Sc-Fi/fantasy on a summer vacation many years ago.  At the time I did not know that most of these stories continue into two or more vols.  i hate waiting for the next Book  in any series even when i really enjoy the story.

Now I like series in which each vol. is a complete story.  They may continue into other vols. but they do not leave you hanging over a cliff.  I like Charles de Lint's urban fantasys.  I enjoyed the Heralds of Valdemar books by Mercedes Lackey.  Those are easy reads and though they continue, each book can stand alone.  The Shannara (sp?) series is good.  R.A. MacAvoy's novels are very good.  I liked her Damiano series as well as her other novels.

I love mysteries and most of those are complete in one book so I don't have to wait and wait to learn the end of the story.  Sharon McCrumb is wonderful!  I like her Ballad series and the Elizabeth McPherson novels.  I can identify with those books because i live in the South and am familiar with many of her locations.

Too many good books to pick a "favorite".  My fav is whatever I am reading at the moment (the Kellermans, husband and wife).
    Posted 13 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the Eragon series and can't wait for the next/last book to come out this fall. I also love anything written by Raymond E. Feist - great fantasy/adventure books.
    Posted 13 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Too many to list, but currently enjoying David Drake's Honor Harrington novels. Good science fiction, great characters.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm enjoying the Sandman Slim novels as well... there are two so far, so I guess it's technically a series :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tolkien (of course)David Eddings - The Belgariad
    David Eddings - The Mallorean
    David Drake - Honor Harrington series
    Mercedes Lackey - Heralds of Valdemar
    Robin Hobb - The Farseer Trilogy (anything by Robin Hobb, actually)
    Anne McCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern
    Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar Saga
    Douglas Adams (anything)
    Naomi Novik - Temeraire (alternate history Napoleonic era with dragons)
    Robert Heinlein's Future History novels

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more later.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink