Topic

Juju's --what kinds of individual names do they have?

I confess to having a minor obsession with jujus and juju culture.  For example, I like to imagine that jujus live in bandit clans and have clan dances around the light of piled up firefly jars, and that they square dance.  Why square dancing? I don't know, maybe it has something to do with the bandannas. 

Anyway...juju names.  What do they call each other? How do the blue ones tell each other apart from other blue ones, and so on and forth with all the other colors?

Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Jujus are all colorblind - they don't know they are blue, green, purple... etc.
    Posted 13 years ago by jasbo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow. Ok, so they are colorblind AND identical.  How do they tell each other apart? Pheremones?  Sound signals?  Square Dancing moves?
  • LOL @ Nanookie - I love your brain!
    Posted 13 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What - all Jujus look alike to you?  
  • Nanookie, they can tell from taste.

One reason why you don't often see more than one Juju at the same time is that to tell one another apart, them must lick each other. This is not unpleasant, but it does remove a tiny bit from the surface of the Juju. (This is why the most popular, respect Juju's are actually quite a bit smaller than other Jujus.)

Juju's names are derived from these tastes. However, their taste buds are move more complex that ours. They have words for bitterness, sourness, sweetness, saltiness and umami, but also have words for taste we can't even conceive of. Some juju anthropologists use the words: quellness, flitziness, blunnernes and pfftssttblark (to just name a few).
    Posted 13 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Jasbo: I thought it took years of training to tell jujus apart, but that most anthropologists can't do long term studies because they keep getting booted out of the nostalgia lands in ten minutes; also, with all the booting, they can't get decent funding for research projects .  As a result it remains an arcane branch of Urian anthropological study.  What, you can tell them apart?!

@LBO: Ah, so that explains why juju marriages are called "Stickiness Ceremonies".  I heard that the requesting juju licks the requested juju until they stick together at the top. Then they get rolled off into a private place for the marriage nuptials.  What was the phrase again?  Oh yes: "Making a new flavor".
  • To be fair, all Glitchen look alike to jujus.
  • We don't all look alike??????
    Posted 13 years ago by marycontrary Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think they are named like mobsters:
    Joey 'Fingers' Juju, and Mikey 'Pickles' Juju, and so forth.  That's just my gut instinct.
    Posted 13 years ago by Wiggles The Fluent Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think they tell each other apart by who steals what. the paper thief juju would steal orbs- that's another one altogether.

I also like to think they all have names starting with J. that might seem confusing, but with the "one type of item per juju" plus LBO's taste theory, it gets easier to distinguish (for them anyway)

I imagine them living in coves, playing cards or dancing in their spare time. They have a juju alert system that tells them when Glitchen are approaching the timed areas, and they randomly select a JuJu to go steal something. except of course for the website JuJu, Jinx. He only shows up when the game is about to open.
    Posted 13 years ago by bored no more Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What do they eat? I believe they eat Jam and Jalapeno peppers most of the time, but they get Jell-o on special occasions.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nevet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My only questions are what flavor are they and how do we eat them? :9~

j/k, hilarious posts you two ;)
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ...they get Jell-o on special occasions

Nevet - I knew it!  They're cannibals!  Fargin' bastiches!
  • @jasbo...I would have thought so too, but remember, there is the rather compelling theory that jujus are more like the jujube candy, not upside-down jello cups.  Which is good because if they really were upside-down jello cups, their insides would be falling out all the time.  I always thought that explained why they run so slow--don't want to jiggle too much.

J names, J named foods...this makes a LOT of sense. So does the idea that they only steal one particular item.  I wonder if they have initiation ceremonies, where jujus on the brink of adulthood are sent out to sniff out the belongings of some giant stompy Glitch...and whatever the juju youngster brings back, that is what it steals for the rest of its life.
  • Initiation ceremony - so *this* is what I saw in the last test! Two jujus were chasing me at the same street, I guess one of the adult and the other was the youngster.
    (Boy, this thread makes me like them a little bit. This is weird...)
  • A lot of times they mention their boss. WHO IS THE JUJU BOSS?!?!?!
    Posted 13 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The juju boss is clearly the black, scalloped juju that shows up when the game is borked.

Juju boss doesn't mess with paper - he screws with the very servers.  He's badass.

@Nanookie - if they're jujubes, why would they need to worry about jiggling?  Jujubes will tear the very teeth from your head, they're so solid.  

Either way, I'm holding to my cannibalism theory.  Evil f***ers.
  • @jasbo: Oh no, IF jujus were made of jello, THEN they would have jiggling issues.  But you are correct, as jujubes they are like tiny bullets.

And the juju leader clearly looks like some kind of hardcore licorice.
  • @Jasbo, is that Juju name BTW????
  • What, Nevet, "Evil f***ers"? 

Could be....
  • I think the Boss looks like a Switzer's Licorice Bite.  I have eaten thousands of them which may explain why they chase me in the Ancestral lands.  Now that I know they have campfires that may explain why they steal paper though it doesn't explain why they never take my planks.  They never seem to steal pens so I suspect they are illiterate. 

Where do they get their neckerchiefs?  This might explain nekkid Glitches, they've been robbed of their wardrobes by jujus who need more neckerchiefs.
    Posted 13 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jujus have a very complex culture. For example, they have tribal dances that include copious amounts of sugar.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well Jasbo, if the are cannibals, they might as well curse themselves!

@Zeezee, your paper theory makes sense but what do Jujus do with the orbs they steal? They don't seem like the meditating types, but who knows? 
  • My belief about orbs is that they smash them and give the shards to the Rook.  They only steal them because the Rook demands it as a proof of fealty. And of course the Rook would prefer as few orbs in the world as possible.
  • I had no paper theory; That was 'Bored no more'.

But I love it when you say my name- Keep sayin' it!
    Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Rube is the jujus boss.  Don't let that simpleton appearance fool you. He's crazy like a fox!
    Posted 13 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I see jujus, I see Rolos ... I imagine they are filled with lovely ooey gooey carmel.
    Posted 13 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Something else about jujus: their unusual perception of depth and space.  Glitchen of course, have notoriously terrible space and depth perception, nearly non-existent.  Without even discussing dimensional space, peripheral vision...just as a start, they can't even perceive volume with any reliability...a pile of three things looks as identical to them as a pile of three hundred things.  Thank the Giants for imagining action and count menus, or Glitchen would surely have blinked back out of existence LONG ago.

But about the jujus:  They don't really bother with numbers, have you noticed?  It's mostly about the number 1 with them.  So when it comes to a pile of things, while a Glitch's action menu would do a rapid calculation for him/her, jujus conceptualize the seeing in terms of time spent experiencing the objects.  So..one cherry--a blink of cherry.  Three cherries is a longer period of sensual experience, and three hundred cherries is a considerable chunk of time.   

At one time the way to slow down a juju was to put a large pile of things in its path, because it would stop in its tracks in order to experience the entire stack.  Jujus can get lost in a stack of cherries for days, if the quantity is sufficient.  This was of course BEFORE jujus developed the short jump teleportation that they practice now, which allows them to avoid piles before they "fall into" them.  
  • I think they're like greeters: A senior brings a trainee along when stealing. 
    Posted 13 years ago by KitkatCat Subscriber! | Permalink