Topic

Random facts (Renamed)

Since many of us love facts, thought it'd be interesting to see what people come up with.

The winter of 1932 was so cold that Niagara Falls froze completely solid. (Well, minus a few trickles of water.)

--Ah. Not sure where I got the word factoids, but I was apparently wrong in using it. Thanks for pointing it out!

Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • Everything you do has consequences to future generations (as long as you continue to procreate or make those choices around other people. )   See: Epigenetics.
  • Giraffes and humans both have seven vertebrae in their neck.  The difference is that each one of a giraffe's neckbones can be over ten inches long.
    Posted 13 years ago by Varekai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zeezee wrote: Everything you do has consequences to future generations (as long as you continue to procreate…
    Not procreating has just as large an impact as procreating does.
    Posted 13 years ago by Skwid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The Laryngeal Nerve runs from your brain all the way down your neck to your heart where it makes a turn around your aorta and then heads back up your neck to you pharynx, making the travel distance several times longer than the distance from your brain to your pharynx directly.

In the giraffe the nerve runs the same route except that the giraffe's neck makes the nerve over 15 feet long when the distance from the brain to the larynx is only about 2 inches.
    Posted 13 years ago by Skwid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Skwid-  Yeah, my fault. I was referring to the impacts made by epigenetics.

The left side of your body is controlled by the right side of your brain, and the right side by the left side of your brain.  So if you have a stroke in the right side of your brain, it'll affect the left side of your body, and vice-versa.

This also means that left-handed people are right-side brain dominant, whereas right handed people are left-side brain dominant.
  • Zeezee and Skwid, your little exchange reminded me of a trip I took to a primeval, protected forest this summer. The whole deal is, there is zero human interference. In a normal forest, fallen trees will be cleared, species will be controlled, growth will be regulated. But in the protected forest, the rangers just sit back and watch. And their lack of interference has an impact on the environment. The forest doesn't just stay the same. It changes all the time- when a tree falls, it opens up the canopy allowing the growth of saplings that would have otherwise never made it. These saplings may be species that feed a particular kind of insect, which will thrive over the next few years. More insects means more birds....and so on and so forth.

Sorry, a little digression that didn't even contain a proper Random Fact.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 Next