Topic

What's the weirdest food you ever had?

Just curious.
The weirdest I had was pig intestine. Believe it or not, they're delish.

Posted 13 years ago by KitkatCat Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Anglerfish. It's got the consistency of Spam, with a strong fishy flavor. Not recommended.
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Alligator.  It tasted like chicken.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Vegetarian haggis.
    Posted 13 years ago by Clumdalglitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Zeezee, I would say, it tastes like what chicken would taste like if it were a fish.

Weirdest food...well, I ate a piece of raw tuna straight off the filleting knife once, but that's not all that crazy.

Oh, oh, there was that Mexican worm spice powder thing. If that's what it was. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Clumdalglitch - I'd think that'd be less intrinsically disgusting than the real thing, at any rate...
  • @Djabrill: It wasn't bad. A bit dry, over-peppered, but definitely edible. Appeared to be made mostly of minced black beans, maybe some soy.
  • Okay, so yeah, relatively pleasant! And assorted-innards-free! lol
  • 100% innards-free!

But definitely high up there on the "what a weird food idea" list. (This was in Edinburgh, by the way, so I wasn't completely weird for trying it. Love Edinburgh. Can take or leave vegetarian haggis.)
  • Black pudding.  it was.. not tasty.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Only one food??  Umm...  Horse testicle - sashimi style.  It was... I'm not sure how to describe it.  ^^;
    Posted 13 years ago by Marebito Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Polish and I also regularly visit the Asian market and get weird food.

Duran Waffers:  Not recommended.  Taste fine but the smell.  OH GOD THE SMELL!
    White Borsch:  It's made with fermented wheat.  It's actually really delicious.
    Moon-cake with an egg in the middle:  Made with lotus seeds.  Actually pretty good.
    Aloe Drink:  Really delicioius.  Most of the normal flavored ones taste like a light grape juice with a clear pulp to it.
    Galaretka:  Vegetable broth flavored gelatin with carrots, other veggies and whitefish.  I don't like it.  
    Blood Sausage:  Buckwheat mixed with blood inside a casing.  I like it.  It's a bit spicy but it's good.
    Posted 13 years ago by Homura Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Homura: you mean, Durian, right?
    I love durian when it's a fresh fruit. It's way less pungent when its fresh. And many moon cakes often come with salted eggs in the middle. It's great with the lotus paste and sunflower seeds. Mmm...... 
    Anyway, my slightly weird taste in food may have come from my mother. When she was a kid, she had stuff like eggs cooked in a cup of hot choc (made with boiling water straight from the kettle, so not much chance of salmonella) and chicken testicles. Regularly.
  • Ooh pig intestine is lovely. One of my favourites :)

Personal weirdest was deep-fried snake. It's a cross between pigeon and fish. Very tasty.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saro Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i have eaten roadkill.

and grasshoppers are crunchy and nutty, but you have to prepare them properly or you run the risk of getting a very bad parasite.

the WORST thing i have ever eaten is earthworms. no matter what anyone tells you, they are not "nice and peppery tasting", not even if you prepare them as recommended in cornmeal and then parboil them and sautee them and put them in a light cream sauce with roasted garlic and red peppers served on toast points.

the are still very, very bad.

voice of experience.
    Posted 13 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Grasshoppers covered in a chili powder, they were pretty until the chili kicked in.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • After reading this list, I am so thankful to report I have never eaten anything weird! Phew!
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Cuy, aka Guinnea Pig :D

In Peru. The ears are especially crunchy. While there, I also had alpaca, several different ways.
    Posted 13 years ago by Essie Kitten Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Alpaca? Was it like venison?
  • Probably the Chapulines I had in Oaxaca.

Also I'm kind of amazed about how many beverages contain "cochineal extract"  (aka smushed up bugs) for coloring. Wikipedia: "It has become commercially valuable again,[9] although most consumers are unaware that the phrases "cochineal extract", "carmine", "crimson lake", "natural red 4", "C.I. 75470", "E120", or even "natural colouring" refer to a dye that is derived from an insect."
    Posted 13 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • horse in Korea on my way to Japan
    Posted 13 years ago by Artilect Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @KKC, alpaca tastes more like bison, IMHO
    Posted 13 years ago by Essie Kitten Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some things I've eaten that others mentioned: Cuy (guinea pig), horse both cooked and raw (but I haven't tried the testicles), grasshoppers, snake, alligator.

I've also eaten jellyfish... it didn't really taste like a lot, lol.
    Sea Urchin (Uni)... don't care for it, although I've tried it several times and I know how to prepare it.
    I also don't care at all for pig liver... was kinda gross actually.

Lengua (beef tongue) is great on tacos, but it smells kinda funny.

Chicken feet are a waste to me, they just taste like a bunch of gross chicken skin. Maybe I should try them deep fried?

Tripe - There's two main kinds. I enjoy the 'honeycomb' tripe they put in pho. However, the 'bible' tripe they use in menudo is something I really don't like one bit. I believe the difference is which stomach they take it from (ruminants like cows & sheep have 4 stomachs).

Marrow can be pretty tasty!

As I came across this thread, I was also trying to find a good place in the bay area to try Huitlacoche, a fungus that grows on corn and is said to be very tasty. So that's one thing I *haven't* eaten, but I hope to fix that soon.
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've had huitlacoche. Thumbs up; I quite liked it.
  • It's official: Squorble is the king/queen of weird food!

When I want to lose weight I should just read that post again... I mean... yum! Maybe...
    Posted 13 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Certain octopus are yummy. Octopus flavoured chips are yummier. Sea cucumber and pig liver I have on regular basis, so it didn't strike me as weird. There's also a kind of black fungus that my mother likes to put in soup. Also, 'lui char' is this rice and green soup- the soup is apparently made from some kind of smushed vegetable. Look it up yourself.
  • Certain octopus are yummy. Octopus flavoured chips are yummier. Sea cucumber and pig liver I have on regular basis, so it didn't strike me as weird. There's also a kind of black fungus that my mother likes to put in soup. Also, 'lui char' is this rice and green soup- the soup is apparently made from some kind of smushed vegetable. Look it up yourself.
  • @Clumdaglitch (ETA: and @Squorble - you have so many foods I missed your mention of Huitlacoche) I forgot Huitlacoche! + yum for the corn smut!
    Posted 13 years ago by The Cat Face Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, corn smut's delicious- on tortillas with black beans, cheese, tomato & peppers.
  • @Squorble You don't like chicken skin?! Then you're a bit of a lost cause... :P Yeah, not likely you'll like chicken feet if you don't like skin.

I just love various types of tripe and offal thanks to my contact with this dish: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuqi_feipian . I think everything meaty is delicious when buried in chilli sauce!
    Posted 13 years ago by Saro Subscriber! | Permalink
  • tofu - yuk
    Posted 13 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kibbeh nayye.
    Quail eggs. As a shot, right outta the shell.
    And a bunch of Filipino, Korean and Mexican weirdnesses that I never got the name of.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Kangaroo I guess. Actually I think I maaay have had a crocodile pie once too.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Whole, raw, gray, slimy baby octopus preserved in brine.. Head was like trying to chew a jacks (game) ball.  Gag! Swallowed it whole cause my parents taught me that it was an insult to spit out food at a host's table. All I could do to keep my gorge from rising.. Ugh!

Love black pudding, haggis and gator tail though! LOL
    Posted 13 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I once had possum, crocodile and emu in the one dish (possum is quite nice, crocodile is like a weird white meat that isn't quite chicken or fish and can be quite plain, and emu is like super dark chicken meat, and can be dry if you cook it wrong).  Crocodile and Emu are farmed for meat, but I thought the possum was from New Zealand, where it is a pest.  Then I found out it was wild caught in Tasmania and felt a bit guilty :/

But the weirdest I guess would have to be witchetty grubs, straight out of the tree.  They are quite yummy, and taste like fatty pork.  If you can't handle the wriggling, they are nicer barbequed (still take like pork).  When out on a friend's farm cutting deadwood, we would often look for wood grubs or wild bees nests for snacks :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Trowzers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Okay, I'm jumping back in here.  :P  Most of the seafoods mentioned (sea urchin, sea cucumber, jellyfish...) didn't even register on my 'weird' scale since I've had them so often.  In the seafood category, I'd probably toss in the most deadly - fugu or blowfish which is yummy.  And the most controversial would be whale which ranged from yummy to icky depending on the restaurant.  I've also had shark fin, but I see that as more expensive than unusual.  ^^;  Other animals that didn't strike me as weird include alligator, frog, bison, elk, and goat, while more on the unusual side would be snake (yum!), yak (yum!) and ostrich (too gamey).  Beef tongue is really yummy, and ox tail is pretty good, too.  ^_^
  • Never liked chicken feet, intestines, blood sausage and the like.
    Bone marrow is the love of my life - I was banned from it for a while when I ate so much I got sick.
    Foie gras, whenever it's brought home. As my sister says - "animal cruelty has never tasted so good!"
    Weirdest thing would have to be balut - fertilised duck embyro boiled alive and eaten in the shell, according to Wikipedia. I ate it all the time, until I got old enough to realise what it was. Delicious, but I feel sick thinking about it now.
    Posted 13 years ago by Frederik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mare, sharks fin I have it every New Year. Delish, though I feel guilty about it ever since I seen pictures of slaughtered sharks....... 
    Occasionally I'll try to suck out the marrow. But what I really love is the cartilage.
  • Escargot. It tasted good, but the texture was something I'd rather not repeat. Chewy. :p
    Caviar - I have no idea what people see in the stuff. YUCK. Fishy.
    Rabbit and bison, both tasty.
    Alligator, very yummy.
    Venison, of course, I live in Colorado. Not really that fond of it, but it's ok in moderation.

So yeah. I've never had anything really weird.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have eaten snails, haggis, earthworms, venison, bison, sharkfin soup, fertilised goose eggs, tiger moth soup, I've even eaten (before I understood the implications, so please forgive me) leatherback turtle.

The weirdest I've ever eaten, if I'm honest?  McDonalds.  Two weeks ago I got taken into one by my family because my nephew was staying with us.  What the HELL is that stuff in relation to the reality I usually live by?  Is that genuinely classed as "food"?
    Posted 13 years ago by stripe/shrimp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tripe,  Chicken Feet, Beef heart, Utter milk gut, Goat brains and tongue. These are so super tasty if you know how to cook them. And I do!
    The utter milk gut is my favorite, but too many calories! The milk gut even after washing and cleaning still releases some milk when cooked, and so yummy severed with salsa and tortilla.
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chicken.

Tasted like chicken.  

AWKWARD.
    Posted 13 years ago by shrimpy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Stripe
    LOL!  I believe that would be classified as "cardboard".  :P
  • @ Trowzers, I totally bulked at eating a witchetty grub, haha.
  • *balked
  • @Lelu: You don't like black budding/blood sausage? But it is so yummy! n_n
    Posted 13 years ago by Cocomoes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I do like chicken skin... when it's crispy and tasty... but all the feet I had were just soft and flabby. Just not my thing, but like I said, I might like them better if they were prepared different.

I AM NOT A LOST CAUSE!!!! ;)

The most interesting thing I've eaten recently was a raw/cured beef dish (Kelaguen) that some Guamanian friends made. It was sooooo good.
    Posted 13 years ago by Squorble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Chocolate covered ants (n a dare).  It was at 4H camp when I was a kid.  I was offered chocolate covered grasshoppers, but I knew I couldn't do that.
    Posted 13 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Goodness, hard to know what qualifies as strangest:

Sea cucumber - Nasty, kind of like clam flavored jello.
    Fingerling soup - "Those are just noodles."  "No, I've never seen noodles with eyes before."
    Horse - Well, once it's made into sausage, it just tastes like sausage.
    Sheep's head - Really, the whole thing.  I refused to try the eyeballs which are "the best part."
    Fermented Shark - Find a bottle of ammonia cleaning product and take a deep sniff; that will reproduce the experience for you.
    Guinea Pig - Yeah, chicken, pretty much.
    Posted 13 years ago by KhaKhonsu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • deer brain salsa on tortilla chips.
    Posted 13 years ago by The Crepeist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my Mereret!! Those are some rather odd 'foods'.
  • It's so interesting to read this thread! I find it hilarious that mooncake made it on this thread, because I just tried to get my boyfriend to try some the other day, and he said it was weird. Sea cucumber isn't weird to me, it's just on my "don't really like" list, aloe drink is as normal to me as soda, chicken feet is a snack food, and beef tongue is "Oh, so I guess we're not going out for dinner tonight?"

I haven't tried guinea pig, though my grandpa did want to cook my hamster when I was seven. But I'm surprised that I've had quite a few things on this list without thinking them as weird.

I guess for me, I'd have to say....sour cream and onion flavored crickets? And mostly because I was amused that they also came in cheddar and bbq flavor...
    Posted 13 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yeah, two words: Kangaroo Steak. 
    Often found on supermarket shelves. I had one once. Roo burger. It was.... um, fishy. Consistency of beef, and tastes kinda....fishy ish.
  • Balut.

They're delicious... you just need to get past the idea that you're eating "duckling zombie".
    Posted 13 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Deep fried and battered spring bear meat, Moose heart, and gator nuggets. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Rev. Lightbringer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @The Black Chicken I love balut, it's so friggin' tasty, especially if one adds a little salt and pepper. I grew up eating the stuff, so it wasn't until later in life that I had really thought about what I was eating.

Other than balut, the "weirdest food" has to be century eggs. It's (preserved) egg that comes in colours that eggs should not be in, but it works, the textures/flavour is fantastic and it's delicious.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saulie Subscriber! | Permalink