Topic

Who are you? What do glitches do outslide of Glitch?

I'm just curious about the approximate age group of the people who play this game. Everyone seems a bit older than the usual crowd, but I'm not positive if that's true or not. I guess I'll start.

I'm Sam, I'm 21, currently an undergraduate for Economics and Psychology. I like to socialize and party, but love to get wrapped up in video games. I heard of Glitch because I heard the creator of Katamari Damacy was actually helping out on this Glitch thing and I wanted to play ever since. And I'm glad I got into it during beta!

How 'bout you?

Posted 13 years ago by Leumas Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3
  • I'm old. I'm crabby. I work hard and play harder. I'm lover and a fighter and a singer of songs. I'm somebody's mother. Somebody else's wife. I live in a world of constraint and live for a world without bounds.

I love Glitch.

And I'm a geek. Duh...
    Posted 13 years ago by g33kgurrl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nice to meet you Sam :)

I'm Jenny, I am 19 years old and I go to the University of Wisconsin Green Bay (I actually move into my dorm tomorrow, yikes is summer done already?). I'm double majoring in English and Spanish with.... an unknown minor at the moment (I'm thinking Communication). I'm kind of a boring person and do lots of internet things, haha. Also often get too wrapped up in video games/computer games, but hey, they make me happy, so who cares! I heard of Glitch from my brother. I think to be honest I wanted to join it because I heard of the millions of dollars invested in it and I wanted to see if it lived up to that, haha. I'm so glad I got into here during beta too :) Been loving it here!

And I know what you mean about everybody seeming older, haha. I swear I feel so young when I'm here XD (not that that's a bad thing!)
    Posted 13 years ago by Nea Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey Sam! I'm Megan, I'm a 24- erm, just turned 25 on Sunday- Mom / Nerd / Mac Lover / Secretary / Model Wannabe / Recovering thespian / movie/tv/Glitch addict. :)

I've always joked that I'm a 16 year old boy trapped in the body of a (*cringe*) 25 year old woman.....I love video games, cursing, and pizza ;) 

But then there's the more feminine side of me where I love to do Pinup photography, socialize, and (since I got divorced) go to the club with my girlfriends when the ex has our son.....

I'm kinda weird. ;) <3 
    Posted 13 years ago by NutMeg Botwin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i am a retired schoolteacher, a classically trained composer, and a less skilled visual artist.

i cure fish, bake bread, make soup, brew ginger ale and i am learning to make candies and cheeses.

i am a two-time state champion in mountain biking, and hold the all time record for most consecutive last place finishes in a local weekly 5k trail run series.

for roughly two months of the year i live in my car, traveling with no itinerary or plan. i like to geocache along the way.

i collect and eat wild mushrooms, know how to make stone tools, and have eaten roadkill.

pretty much i'm an unremarkable little middle-aged church lady.
    Posted 13 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My name is Adelaide, I'm 20.

Currently studying at the University of Newcastle, Australia. I want to be an archivist :)

I may have a slight obsession with collecting old photos of people who I don't even know, haha. I also am in love with clothes from the 40's and 50's. Best style ever.

I have a tattoo of Frank Zappa on my back. May have taken my fanatics a little too far.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a grandma, disabled, stay at home play on the computer all day kind of person. 

I'm a geek. I love computers. I love computer games. I read. Lots. I'm currently making my way through David Drake's Honor Harrington books (if you haven't read them, DO!). I knit, and I take lots of pictures. I cook, and bake when I'm up to it.

I'm married to a super awesome wonderful guy who is my best friend in the whole world. I have one son still living at home and three kids that have grown up and moved away, and FIVE grandkids. Five. Plus, I have two border collies and four cats. My house is a source of never-ending entertainment.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kaessa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 22 and an English-Secondary Education major at the University of Maryland's College Park campus. Primary hobbies include a whole lot of writing (fiction, usually with a fantasy bent -- urban fantasy and futuristic fantasy seem to be my pet genres), doing crafts, and playing videogames. I seem to favor any sort of repetitive, compulsive, addictive sort of pastimes, which is why I do crafts like crochet where you're doing virtually the same thing over and over until you finish a project, plus a little bit of counting and changing colors of yarn as necessary. */oversimplification, just a little*

@flask Unremarkable? I might ask to politely disagree! Sounds like a fascinating way to spend retirement. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Haiku Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a DJ and producer of industrial, dubstep and glitch (ha, yeah, I know, I've already heard it). I'm a  former submariner (STS2 [SS/SW]) and recon photographer. I'm Romani and Cherokee (mostly Romani). I'm of an alternative political bent, and of alternative spirituality, with a strong emphasis on common sense. I've got pretty mild Asperger's, which, for me, means I struggle to filter myself and not accidentally give people the finger, and it affects how well I relate to and empathize with others, though I'm pretty high-functioning. I'm also synaesthetic, mostly through sound and written words. I've been known to read dictionaries, but hate mathematics.
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *waves at Djabrill*

Former Navy here (OTA3 - SOSUS during the early 80's). My youngest son is an Aspie, great kid. He has the OMG SUPER OUTGOING form, everybody is his best friend. How does your synaesthesia manifest? I've always been fascinated by it.

(ETA: poke me if I'm being too nosy.)
  • @Kaessa- lol not too nosy- my strongest "modality" is sound-to-sight, which means sound manifests as color, texture and shape- it's hard to explain (I've had it as long as I can remember) other than to say that songs to me are left-to-right unfoldings of color, and many instruments have consistent colors, shapes and textures. It's pretty subjective as well, making it extra-hard to describe, since no two of us have the same reactions to the same things.
    I've got the needlessly suspicious (and slightly misanthropic) version of AS... I do like most people, but I tend to think of people on the whole as untrustworthy... I do really well with people I've gotten to know, but since I have difficulty in getting past it, it takes quite awhile IRL.
    I never met any OTAs when I was in- what does that entail?
  • OTA's (OTA=Ocean Systems Technician, Analyst) have been phased out, SOSUS is old school cold war stuff. Basically sea floor passive sonar arrays, with shore based listening stations. All declassified now, but it was all hush hush secret back then.

I have a lot of friends online who have Asperger's, it seems to crop up a lot in the disability forums I frequent. It's definitely been helpful learning how to handle a teen that has it. I've learned to not be subtle. :D
  • Oh, okay- I visited one at one point that did seafloor surveillance in the South Pacific.
  • I was stationed in Bermuda, we did almost the entire North Atlantic. Great fun!
  • Ahhh... I visited one in Guam- I don't remember if it was refitted or new, but the whole place smelled like Deck Gray lol.
  • Yep, we had one down there. I actually put in to be stationed there (I had friends there), and got Bermuda instead. Oh darn. ;)
  • Is that Andros? Spent a lot of time down there doing steel-beaches and UNITAS ops with various countries.
  • No, a lovely little island about 600 miles off the coast of South Carolina. I've never been to Andros, but I've always wanted to visit that area of the world.
  • Ahh, okay, I think I know where you're talking about. I tried to get Diego Garcia (joint US/UK air base in the Pacific), but it didn't happen lol- probably a similar command- very, very small.
  • I'm turning 39 next week. My inner 5-y-o is wondering how the heck it is that I'm a physical grown-up. I'm a geographer/planner by training, but I come from a family of artists and wish I'd been brave enough to be one too. I spin yarn, I knit, I play with words, and I play too many computer games to count. I joke that I'm a retired goth...colour is sneaking back into my wardrobe and I can't be arsed to put crayon around my eyes anymore. But I still listen to lots of the same old music, and my fingers are covered with silver hardware. :)

And flask, you do sound pretty remarkable!
    Posted 13 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • VS - I'm a spinner/knitter too.  

I'm a law librarian in a large public law school.  I teach and help other faculty with tech.  

Oh, and I'm 42.  Not sure how that happened.
    Posted 13 years ago by jasbo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Ed, I'm 35. I live in South Devon, England.  
    When I'm off work and I've managed to get rid of my partner (I've found that TV and beer is usually a good way to distract him) and the dog's walked and fed, I like to spend my 'me time' online.   
    I work from home (co-run a self catering holiday cottage business and live on site), so I'm dealing with people quite a lot, and while I like people in general, in my free time I like to deal with people on my terms. 
    That's why the internet's so appealing to me. I get to deal with the whole talking to people stuff, which I love, but virtual people have the added bonuses of volume controls, mute buttons and a handy little "x" in the top corner that makes them vanish any time I choose. 
    Seems pretty perfect to me :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Ebil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hooray, jasbo! ...I do worry about Glitch cutting into the spinning/knitting time, however, which is why I support the suggestion of sheep in the game! At least then I can get some virtual spinning done. :)
  • Off-off topic: spindle, wheel, both?  Brands?  

Inquiring fiberheads want to know.

I haven't done ANY spinning in yonks.
  • Both!
    Wheel = a Lendrum DT
    ...yourself?
  • Both.

Wheel = Schacht Matchless, double treadle.  
  • I'm 25. I just landed my first job post college. I graduated a bit late with a degree in Biology and another in Sociology. I stayed in school as long as I could before my parents made me leave. I thought about going back for a PhD, but I was strongly advised against it by everyone I know. So, here I am as somewhat of a grown up. Sorry to those of you who are in college right now, but life sucks after it. Stay as long as you can hahaha. 

I like video games, but I'm not very good at them. I found out about Glitch via Boingboing.net. Does anyone read it? Everyone here has been so nice. I'm worried that once we go live, we'll get a lot of trolls. 
    Posted 13 years ago by ☠ lala512 ☠ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @lala51 - I got here because of BoingBoing... though I forgot what it was when my beta invite came through lol.
  • I'm Pete. 
    I sail. I wish I could sail more.  I love it second only to my wife and children.
    I explore the world of mushrooms (hunting, identifying, eating, writing about).
    I'm 37.
    I have 2 children (4yr and 3mo)
    I have 1 wife.  She's pretty, but I can't get her interested in Glitch, so I think we might have to get a divorce.
    I work at a library fixing network and computer junk all day.

There's my life summed up :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Rachel.  My press age is 25 and is the only age I'll claim for the rest of my life, even when my children get to be that age and older.  Speaking of children, I have three sons, ages 6, 8 and 10 who keep me a steady level of insane.  I have one very lovely fiance who introduced me to the world of Glitch, you know him as Djabriil.  Before running into some pretty serious health problems, I owned my own business working as a Birth and Postpartum Doula for pregnant, birthing and recently postpartum women.  That is still a passion of mine.  When I'm not in too much pain, I enjoy knitting and I am known to be the "listener" of any group of people I am around.
    Posted 13 years ago by Irie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm Jill.  I'm 36 and I also got here via boingboing.  This is my first MMO except for Kingdom of Loathing, and I was pretty much a loner when I played KoL.  I'm a librarian, just got my MLS two years ago.  I'm working as a children's librarian, although that wasn't what I planned to specialize in when I was in school.  Before I went back to school, I worked as a theatre carpenter for several years.  I spend most of my free time reading.
    Posted 13 years ago by Varekai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Jeff Buckley: Wooo, archivists!
    @Haiku: Wooo, UMCP!
    @Varekai, Linnaea, jasbo: Wooo, librarians and related!

Any other cultural heritage pros lurking out there?

I'm an archivist by training, currently getting a PhD in archives with a concentration on videogame records (like these) and preservation. With the exception of Glitch, I generally prefer console games to computer games.

I like to draw, read, hike, kayak, adventure, and spend time hanging out with my cats and my Gloopy.

I originally heard about Glitch from someone I follow on Twitter before the beta was open, then forgot all about it until my partner started playing. 

Oh, and I'm 29.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sheepy

That is awesome!!! I seriously can't wait to finish up this degree so I can go onto postgrad and train to become an archivist.
  • btw, @Jeff Buckley - my middle name is Adelaide.  I think the only people I've ever met who had that name at all were related to me (I had 2 great-grandmothers named Adelaide, so it was a popular middle name for girls of my generation in my family).
  • @jasbo

OH MY GOSH!!! That is awesome. Yeah my great grandma was named Adelaide, and a second cousin, who is actually in her 70's, has the middle name Adelaide. I have only ever met one other person my age with the name Adelaide :D
  • I graduated from Adelaide Elementary School about 1000 years ago :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Adelaide is a small town (barely) in my county...
    Posted 13 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Linnaea

haha cute!!

@emdot

what country is this?
  • USA! California. And there is wine there. :)
    www.wunderground.com/US/CA/...
    Posted 13 years ago by emdot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well there ya go! We have a city named Adelaide in Australia, also a bit of a wine region. Something about the name maybe? haha
  • I'm 65, retired from computer programming and landscaping, currently working as a volunteer technical assistant to my wife who is teaching English at a university in southern China. Before we came here we lived in Shanghai for two years, and before that we lived in Florida, Indiana and Virginia. I found Glitch while I was looking for an MMORPG without fighting, that we can play on Wednesdays when WoW is down for maintenance.

Some of my interests are in computers, math, physics, self-improvement and neighborhood community development.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ferond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looks like we have a few fiber people in here.

Knitters and crocheters unite! :D
  • I'm Sarah. I'm 32 and a non-conventional housewife, with Betty Crocker-like tendencies...if Betty Crocker had skulls on her apron and was covered in tattoos.

This is my first "real" online game. Before Glitch I used to play on Pogo and would get bored a lot so this is a nice, albeit addicting change. I'm married to Studly (IRL), but he's only been on a few times and prefers Minecraft over Glitch. He should be fired.

Oh, I also knit and and play beer pong.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saraphim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I picture you in my head Sarah I picture some sort of kick arse rockabilly chick.
  • Ha, I tend to be sometimes! I actually LOVE rockabilly music (The Revered Horton Heat is a favorite) and used to do some pinup modeling when I was younger. And blonde. And only had one tattoo.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saraphim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sheepy @JeffBuckley I'm a librarian by training. I currently split my time between teaching in library schools and working for a small software startup (that does librarianly stuff).
    Posted 13 years ago by Clumdalglitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 27, Polish born and bred, although my upbringing was international. For example, I learned how to speak English in a French school in Ireland. Yeah. See what I mean?

Currently, besides my native Polish, I speak English, French, Spanish, and very basic German.  I'm a graduate of the Polish National Film School, and I freelance in the art and animation department.  This means that sometimes I work on film sets, sometimes I make videos. Sometimes I illustrate. I maintain several websites. I've done translations from Polish to English and vice versa. My most recent paid job was teaching an animation workshop.  Whatever the day brings, you know. 

Here's my portfolio, if you're curious: www.madziabryll.com

For fun, I cycle, take photos, and sightsee like crazy. I'm the kind of person who will skip beer at the pub to go to the Museum of Farm Machinery (true story). 

Also, as a personal project, just a couple of weeks ago I started a blog about my country and all the awesome things you can find in it. I travel a lot, and I've seen quite a few exciting places all over the world, but we have this proverb in Poland:

You praise the foreign, but you don't know your own.

And it's true. The more I explore my country the more I'm amazed at how many fantastic things there are to see here. I feel like the world should know just how awesome the place is!

So I started this blog:

polandisawesome.blogspot.com

It's light, fun, and aimed at foreigners who would otherwise know next to nothing about Poland. I know my friends enjoyed all the photos and notes I was putting up on my personal website, so I decided to apply myself and do it professionally.
    My ambition is to gather enough interest that I can hit certain organisations and companies up for sponsorship, so that I can continue writing about exciting places in Poland without the pressure of the travel costs. We'll see how that goes. The blog is still very young.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi Sam, I am a Christian woman who has received many prestigious awards in the "Counseling Community", National Counseling Association, National Rehabilitation Association, National Rehabilitation Counseling Association, National Nursing Association and National Counselor Award for the Pacific Region including Guam. I have many awards from my State and County: Mental Health Association, Psychiatric Counseling Association, School Districts have also honored me for my contribution in their efforts to provide mainstream teaching to children with disabilities. I also began the first "peer counseling" group for the disabled who in turn began their own groups and counseling centers. All the while I am most Honored by the finest three daughters and Son that ever walked this earth. I give God all the Glory and thank Him for His son Jesus!
     So happy to met you Sam!
    Posted 13 years ago by Joy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sarah, THAT IS SO AWESOME!!

@Clumdalglitch, that sounds great! I was actually seriously considering being a librarian.

@Cefeida. You sound like you would be a really interesting person to be around. Your portfolio is just amazing!

@Joy, props to you! People in your line of work deserve all the praise they can get :)
  • @Jeff Buckley: If you're still considering librarianship, feel free to hit me up for ideas or advice. Goes for anyone else, too!
    Posted 13 years ago by Clumdalglitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks dear! :)
Previous 1 2 3