Topic

This is adult behavior?

It seems strange to me to call an environment where it's popular to be rude and crude, an "adult" environment. That doesn't look like adult behavior to me at all. It also seems strange to me to imagine that it's only harmful to children. I think it's poisonous to people of all ages.

That doesn't mean I want administrators to try to impose mature, responsible behavior. I think that would do a lot of harm, and little or no good. It means that I don't agree for adults who don't like that kind of environment to have no place to go but children's forums.

I'm hoping that behavior like that is not really as popular as it looks, and that it's only bullying that makes it look that way. In that case it might help for people who don't like it, to speak up.

Posted 13 years ago by Ferond Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Personally I don't think the majority, or even a large portion, of what's out here is rude or crude.  Sometimes it's easy to focus on the negative stuff, but there's plenty of positive stuff around :)  
    Posted 13 years ago by Ebil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Your arguments based on an etymological fallacy are powerless here!
    Posted 13 years ago by Vicereine Linnæa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What behavior are you referring to, Ferond?
    Posted 13 years ago by Cupcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you truly believe that you don't want administrators to try to impose mature, responsible behavior, then discussing this to death won't solve anything for you.

All you can do is decide, for yourself, whether the behavior around you is within your own comfort zone, and use the game's tools to block players whose behavior is particularly distressing.

What, exactly to you intend to achieve with asking for people to "speak up"? 

Have you had a chance to re-read all those other threads about trying to use community pressure to get players to conform to certain standards of behavior that are not actually part of the rules?

[cupcake, I've started the timer running.  Let's see how long it takes]
    Posted 13 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Tick...tick...tick...
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When you ignore someone in game, does it ignore them in the forums as well?  
    Posted 13 years ago by ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nope.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Last I checked, the "block" feature just stops you from adding someone to your friends list, which stops you from sending the person IMs in the game, or hugging, kissing, splanking, and so on.  It does not censor public conversation in any way.
    Posted 13 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • am i the only one who doesn't really understand what this thread is about?
    Posted 13 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @flask -- You are not. XD
    Posted 13 years ago by Arii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @flask

No, I don't quite get it either. I haven't seen nearly the level of unpleasantness in forums this break as has been seen in previous breaks.
    If this break in forums was too rude for anyone, they'd probably have had a heart attack in some of the last few breaks :P
    Posted 13 years ago by Biohazard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Biohazard -- Agreed.
    Posted 13 years ago by Arii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not sure that speaking up is the best response. I started doing some research on bullying prevention, and now I'm thinking that people just need to learn to recognize when they're being bullied, and find their own way to respond to it. That may or may not include speaking up about it.

Ebil, I agree that most of what's posted is not rude and crude, but that doesn't resolve the issue for me.
  • Who's  being bullied?
  • I've allowed myself to be intimidated all these years, but now I realize that saying all I have to do is avoid the parts that I don't like, is like saying that people should be free to leave their dog's droppings everywhere in public, and everyone else should have to step around it.
  • Most of the time I'm not rude or crude. I can be very genteel. Sometimes, though, I want to be crude, to vent a little, or to talk about some facet of the world which by its nature is considered crude. When those times come, I don't want to have to worry about how other people are going to feel about it. So, I've been confining my crudest thoughts to the Uncensored Chat.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sid Soloveitchik Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so confused. :/

There needs to be some context. I would in no way call the general Glitch environment a place where it's "popular to be rude and crude". There are bad moments, as in all games, no matter the age range for which it is intended.
    Posted 13 years ago by Little Miss Giggles Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, I'm not sure I understand the connection between your original post and Glitch.

This is a forum about Glitch, but your post is beginning to look more like a general comment about cyber bullying, and encouraging others not to allow themselves to be bullied. 

The whole post may actually be better suited to the Off-Topic forum.
    Posted 13 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey!  ~~waves furiously~~  games open, the game is open!
    Posted 13 years ago by Stormy Weather Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sid, thank you!

Giggles, in the two days I've been browsing this forum, I've already suffered several times from seeing rude and crude language, but what concerns me most of all is to see people rejoicing together about being able to do it, and cheerfully discussing in-game crudefests.

I was very happy and excited when I first found Glitch, and when I first started playing. Now the possibility that anywhere I go I might step in some pile of rudeness and crudeness, is very disappointing to me.

Windborn, I agree with you. This thread was about Glitch when I first started it, but now I've generalized it, and it would be better suited to the Off-Topic forum.
  • I took the liberty of moving it for you Ferond, and hope you still find your way to the threads that are a bit more light-hearted. Like this one or this.
    Posted 13 years ago by Blanky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Blanky!
  • As far as Glitch is concerned, I might have misread the signs. I'm a little paranoid after some experiences somewhere else.
  • Yeah I have not seen any nastiness here on Glitch. Maybe that's just me.

I think you have to accept though that in any environment with a large grouping of people you're going to come across things you don't find particularly tasteful. 

Cyber bullying is a whole other issue though. It's pretty sad when people try to feel good about themselves by becoming little keyboard warriors that like to give people a hard time.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can't decide if "little keyboard warriors" are chibi samurai viciously assaulting a keyboard, or keyboards dressed as samurai.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sheepy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is being "rude and crude" the same thing as cyber-bullying, though? Is that in reference to things like nude parties, language, no-no and "animals with bad names" (which I will henceforth refer to as AWBNs)? I've come across some rude people, but haven't felt bullied so much as mildly annoyed- if they're in game, I walk away; if they're on my friends list being rude to me, I just unfriend 'em. I've only really had one example of the latter, and mayyyybe two of the former, so it doesn't seem like an endemic problem to me, I suppose.
    If it's the nudie-party/AWBN/no-no/potty-mouth, I mean, there's not much you can do other than develop a thick skin to it. Are some things perhaps juvenile? Sure... but I don't know that they really count as being bullied, and, as ever, many offensive things are subjective.
    You wanna put these forums (even some of the more controversial threads) in perspective? Go peruse your local branch of 4chan, perhaps peek in at a few YouTube comments, and then maybe swing by Something Awful for dessert. I guarantee you that this place will look like fluffy bunnies and twinkling sunbeams compared to much of what's on offer throughout the rest of the internet.
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Sheepy

hahahahahaha, I want to say the second option.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I still don't understand the point of this topic...
    Posted 13 years ago by Piratice Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Piratice, I really dont either.  I have come back to this post a few times to try and understand, but really I just dont.  I can be crude, gutter brained, and dirty sometimes, but I in absolutely no way consider that ever being a bully.

I guess I have totally missed the point.
    Posted 13 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Jeff, Djabrill, thank you for your sympathetic interest.

Innie, the point of this topic changed after I started it, and now I've lost interest in it, but I can try to explain what happened if you'd like me to. For now I'll just say that, no, I didn't mean that any time you're being rude and crude, you're bullying.
  • I do think there is some merit to the idea that, for people who associate a style of abusive (or pseudo-abusive) speech with abusive people from their past. Generally speaking, I'm not willing to change my speech for just anyone, however. It might well be analyzed that for me, using "foul" language has come to symbolize freedom from abuse. I think it's really important to distinguish between the two.
    Posted 13 years ago by FlirtyvonSexenhaven Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Flirty, thank you for explaining that. I can sympathize with that.
  • Let me tell you, people at the local high school is far cruder. This is nothing.
    Posted 13 years ago by KitkatCat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to get walked on all the time.

-  Thing that helps me now is thinking that, "Jerks are the exception, not the rule- until you yourself become one."

People will say things that hurt- but if you can't let it go, you'll miss all the good stuff others are saying too.

Hope that helps a lil!
    Posted 13 years ago by Zeezee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Zeezee!
  • i am still mystified by this thread.
    Posted 13 years ago by flask Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, seriously. Huh? What are you referring to when you say "an environment where it's popular to be rude and crude"? No one seems to have asked that question, and your meaning isn't very clear to me. The vast majority of active players here are mature, polite adults, and the one's who aren't 1) don't make it 'popular', 2) are quickly squashed, and 3) are inevitable.
  • On EOTW day, I played hop scotch with about 30 "people" who had brought everything they owned to a party in order to share with virtual strangers.  No, most adults don't behave that way.

Lots of adults do bitch and moan though.  I've noticed that.
    Posted 13 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink