Topic

Translating Group Pages

I use Chrome. This is important.

Whenever I go to some group pages today, Chrome pops a translation bar asking if I want to translate the page from a specific language. Two groups trigger translation from Indonesian.  Two trigger translations from Malay. Having it translate just seems to take out the line breaks. I've only tried on one of the Malay groups. And I admit to not checking individual group members' names in order to determine if one of them is triggering it.

Seems like a setting within Chrome (since the whole page is in English and maybe only one word is in Indonesian or Malay) rather than a bug in Glitch. The page source seems to indicate English as well. But then, I'm only going on the limited amount of basic html I learned ten years ago, which doesn't help much. :P

Anyone else asked if they want to translate random language-of-choice pages by Chrome from another language? That is, if you have your browser language set to Spanish, are you asked if you'd like to translate a page that is already written in Spanish from something like Mandarin Chinese or Welsh or something?

Just curious. I'm sure I could look into how Google Translate works in Chrome and come up with the reason it's getting triggered. :)

Posted 13 years ago by Quirk Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I've gotten the same prompt (but I'm also set to English).
    Posted 13 years ago by jasbo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yep..same here.  Just in one of my groups it is asking the Indonesian language, but it is written in English.  The groups i belong to should not be triggering it, especially the one group...hmmm...  I am on Chrome as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by im4noles2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got it as well in one of my groups asking to translate from Indonesian to English.  Not sure why.  Likewise, I'm using Chrome, and didn't get a similar request when using FF.  I told Chrome not to translate any of Glitch's pages, so that killed it, but...  When I peeked at the page's coding, I couldn't see anything that would trigger the pop-up and thought that the page actually specified English.  O_o  
    Posted 13 years ago by Marebito Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wonder if some of the fantastic names for streets are triggering the translation-thingies? Perhaps the program realises they are not English names/words,so looks for (and finds) the closest language these names resemble.
    Posted 13 years ago by ~Scilly~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use Chrome too and have gotten the same thing.... it asks if I want the page translated from Indonesian to English. I have never said yes, because it would appear that I can suddenly read Indonesian fluently, LOL as it sure looks like English to me! :-)
    Posted 13 years ago by marycontrary Subscriber! | Permalink