Topic

Looking for a Glitcher to talk to about a discouraging Glitch experience.

Something happened to me in Glitch that has completely destroyed my interest in playing. No, it is not about foul language! I'm having trouble getting over it, and I thought it might help for me to talk to another Glitcher about it. It needs to be someone who is familiar with how a social environment can be unfriendly in ways which are invisible to most of the people in it, and I need to find some way to talk to her or him privately.

Posted 13 years ago by Ferond Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• If you wish you can talk to me via facebook. Or you might see if there is someone on Glichaddicts that you have more of a relationship with. They have a full messaging system.

(Internet/social orders/etc can be harsh and often spiral out of control... lacking face to face or even hearing tone causes all sorts of issue.)
    Posted 13 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Agreed, Bacon-o.  My email is [redacted] com if you want to chat with me, ferond.  (I'm probably going to come back and edit my email addy out in about an hour or so to protect my privacy.)  I'm Jill.  I've been watching what's been going on, so I think I have an idea about what's bothering you.  I hope that you won't get discouraged about the game just from this weekend.

ETA (because Kookaburra's post reminded me to) I have to be at work from about 12:30 Eastern to about 6:30 or 7 Eastern, so I won't be available then, but after the game opens, our glitchen could have a private chat at my house in Groddle Heights as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by Varekai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am at work, so I can not volunteer for now, but this evening if you still need to talk, I will be available.

Meanwhile, I will just put my two cents in. Don't let someone else ruin it for you. Only you can decide if Glitch is a good fit for you, but in any environment there will be a few folks who do their best to make other people's experience unpleasant. Don't let them win. If good people leave, the trolls and douchebags will take over. If the rest of us simply ignore them, the fun will be gone and they will wander off to other lands.

But, as Lord Bacon-o says, without tone and body language anyone can say or do something that does not come across as intended (just look at the jokes in the forums that are so easily misinterpreted). If someone says or does something that seems out of character, just ask them if what they meant. More times than not, it will be a misunderstanding.

Finally, we are all humans and do or say stupid, thoughtless things sometimes with no consideration of who might be listening or watching. Most of us have no idea that we may have hurt someone. Speaking up is scary, but it can also help another become a better person.
    Posted 13 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you all!

Varekai,  I'll email you.

Lord Bacon-o, I can't find any way to send you a message or a friend request on Facebook. I don't see any buttons on your pages but the block/report button.
  • Weird. I just sent you a friend request.
  • Confirmed.

Now I have to go to bed. It's almost midnight here.
  • Night, ferond!
  • Ferond, I have had an experience here that is making me reconsider playing and very reluctant to post in the forums.  I would love to talk with you, but we'll have to IM in the game to exchange private information.  I absolutely will not take the chance that I'll be attacked outside of the game.  I'm adding you as a contact in game; and if I see you on at the same time, I'll IM you.  Please, feel free to do the same.
    Posted 13 years ago by lovintnt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lovintnt, at the moment I'm not planning to play any more, but I'll consider going in just to talk to you, later, after I get a few more hours of sleep. Oh! You mean IM in the game to exchange contact information? What about sending me an email? My email address is in my profile.
  • If you see me on GlitchAddict, we can chat (all of you!)... I'd like to keep thoughtful Glitchen around.

There are options to create either a one-on-one or an invite-only-group chat... Morticia and Gomez have a pretty awesome thing going over there. =)
    Posted 13 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think I've found a resolution to my problem, but I would still be glad to discuss it with anyone who wants to. Varekai and lovintnt, you'll hear from me eventually, but I'm still trying to get myself back into bed!

Jennyanddots, I'm looking for a group here that might have interests in common with me. Are you mentioning Morticia's and Gomez's chat as one that might interest me in particular, or just as a good example of a group chat?
  • I think Jennyanydots means GlitchAddict.com has options for chatting with people (so you could talk with another Glitcher about your experience). 
    Posted 13 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ferond, I hope you do get some sleep!  And I also really hope that you'll join us back in-game again. 

I also really need to join glitchaddict.
  • Varekai, I still have no interest in playing. The only way I see right now that I *might* play is if there's something I want do do with people I'm working with, that I can only do in the game.
  • Chat won't work for me, Jennyanddots. It's too hard to organize, and I need to be able to communicate with people who are not on line the same time I am.
  • I'm still available via FB if needed/wanted.
  • Have you thought about starting the group yourself? Then you'd have the group forums to use as well.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Actually, I'm not looking for a group any more. I've explained that in the thread where I said I was looking for a group.
  • Ah, sorry about that. I got my threads mixed up, was reading both of them. Good luck finding somebody to talk to. I hope you feel better when you do.
  • No problem! I didn't mean that in the impatient way it looks. Sorry!
  • It's okay! I just hope you find something that helps! It's sad that anybody was so discouraged from Glitch by other players. Just remember, there are more here that will support you than go against you. I hope you find an interest in the game again in the future!
  • Jia-pop, sorry I missed this!

It wasn't other players that took away my interest in playing. It was what I was thinking about the administration. I'm okay now.
  • It's okay! And I'm glad that you're feeling better about that! I'll see you around!