Topic

What feeds your brain?

From what I've seen, we're a diverse group of people - all ages, different life experience, different gaming habits, etc.

So what feeds your brain? What kind of books do you enjoy? What kind of media? And how is it translating into your Glitch experience?

Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• At the moment, dubstep/electronica and bombastic classical/cinematic music (E.S. Posthumus, X-Ray Dog). For books mostly sci-fi/fantasy or business.

I don't know how much it counts as relating to Glitch aside from putting on music or a movie while I play, though. c: (Or I just don't have the imagination for it.)
    Posted 13 years ago by machi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Catching up on George R.R. Martin's 'A Game of Thrones' (books), and then delving into an Introductory Class on AI next week.
  • Oh... Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld'. The strange, surreal life of Discworld fits enough into Glitch. There's no need to explain much I think. xD
    Posted 13 years ago by Worath Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My favourite book ever would be Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Other that that, I do enjoy anything by the following authors : Neil Gaiman, Isabel Allende and Gabriel García Márquez.  
    I also quite enjoyed the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith, but not so keen on his other work. 
    I'm really not sure how they all fit into Glitch, but I like to think that some of the Devs must share a similar sense of humor to Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Like Worath said the surrealness fits in nicely lol 

I really don't enjoy very much TV, as I find sitting around and not interacting with things gets deeply boring, so it's internet all the way for me and that fits into Glitch just perfectly :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Ebil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is a good question! I take it to mean 'what really interests you and helps satisfy your curiosity'.

The most interesting book I've read in the last year was probably Deliver Us From Evil. It deals mainly with theist (specifically Christian) belief. But all kinds of books interest me. Another good one I read last year was Tokyo Vice. Right now, with a baby Hobbit on the way, I've been reading a bunch of parenting books.

Documentaries, exploration games, shows with thoughtful stories (Deadwood captivated me recently), the monthly trip to the museum, and cooking. Cooking I have been doing a fair bit of lately as (a) I have gotten a new Lebanese cookbook which feed my brain for heritage, (b) it's a skill I want to get better at, and (c) I'm working with my hands.

So the exploratory aspects of Glitch I really like, the ramblings of animals and trees that give us clues into the history of Ur, and the cooking. Of course interaction with other players. That too.
    Good stuff!
    Posted 13 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A long-standing hobby of gaming has led me to read/watch everything from SF/Fantasy to History, Philosophy, and Science, which is why I asked. Gamers tend to be a mind-hungry, curious bunch.

@Shipwreck: If you're interested in cooking, look up 'Ratio' by Michael Ruhlman - it simplifies some basic recipes to simple ratios, and is fun for both serious and home cooks.
  • @machi: +1.5mil to dubstep :) Glitch as well (without a shred of irony), 20th-century avant-garde, modern classical (particularly Bela Bartok), breakcore, black metal, various traditional ethnic music (particularly Romani, Middle Eastern and Indian), indie hip-hop, reggae and dub. Most music, really, aside from really terrible dance-pop top-40 and almost all country (stranger stuff seems to get the most plays, tbh).

I also enjoy the odd omega-3 fatty acid.
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bartok's great!  I haven't heard too much of his work, but I liked it.  Also Schumann's one of my favorites.

I love Pratchett, though strangely very few of my offline friends I've introduced to him have been as enthused about his books as I am, but they're not as much into reading it seems.

You know, I can't believe I forgot food, but I'll attribute it to first seeing this post quite early and being grumpy at work - I love to cook and bake and make a point of it to try out a few new recipes every week, time permitting.
    Posted 13 years ago by machi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • At this time I am reading Global Brain by Howard Bloom and also enjoyed reading The Lucifer Principle by the same author. Neal Stephenson has been one of the more recent authors I have enjoyed, being introduced to him through the Diamond age. I made my way to Anathem, which I have read twice. Robert Anton Wilson’s books have been a huge influence on my world view as well as several different books about Gnosticism. Stephan A. Hoeller, Timothy Freke/Peter Gandy have written on that topic. 

Robert E. Howard’s Conan is also another of my favorites. As for music, I have been on an ambient kick for months. Aphex Twin, Tangerine Dream, Brian Eno, and more. A lot of obscure soundscape/Drone artists such as Steve Roach ,Demdike Stare, and Phurpa have been on heavy rotation recently. To broaden it, I listen to anything that can be classified as easy listening Bert Kaemfert to heavy metal/punk. I have a place in my heart for the the trippy stuff. 
    I like cartoons all the way from Disney (Monster’s Inc.) to Ralph Bakshi  (Wizards) to old school Saturday morning cartoons (Scooby Doo), and Anime (Spirited Away). As for how it’s translating or how I perceive Glitch. 

Well… the idea of every character being interconnected and therefore affecting the game experience of all other players is in alignment with Gnosticism and the Global Brain. I appreciate the art of the game and how it all meshes together to create an intriguing outer reality. It’s cartoonish and surreal style appeal to much of my interests, and I sense many conscious and or subconscious mystical influences throughout the game. reading Global Brain by Howard Bloom
    Posted 13 years ago by Rev. Lightbringer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Pterry fans! <3 <3 <3
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ETA- Stephen King. I'm a huge Dark Tower nerd (even if I wasn't completely enthused by the end of the series), and The Stand is still in my top 10.
  • I read all the way up to the Wizard and the Glass. Are the next few in the Dark tower series Good? The Stand is amazing, but I haven't read King in years.
  • I think they're all really good (Wizard and Glass might be my least favorite, honestly, and I don't hate it really), and I'm a big fan of the Randall Flagg character... but the way the final book ended was (to me) kind of a let-down. Don't let that dissuade you from reading the rest of the series, because the action really picks up as the series advances, just be forewarned is all.
  • I love you all. My gods, people who read BOOKS. You're all a welcome breath of fresh air.
  • - Mainly a non-fiction reader. Currently getting through The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson and Freedom Riders by Raymond Arsenault. Read a LOT online and have an addiction to magazines.
    - Currently listening to BBC 6 Music and Spotify a lot (new Tom Vek is getting a lot of airplay, and I still can't stop listening to TuneYards)
    - Currently watching a marathon of Say Yes To The Dress on TLC -- not my choice, but hey, I'm away from home and the rugby isn't on here :(
    Posted 13 years ago by wurzel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The BOOKS comment was not about people with e-readers, but people who read, period, and aren't just caught in the 9-to-5 grind. Like I mentioned earlier, I'll read anything that interests me. I might go from George R.R. Martin back to Harold McGee's "On Food And Cooking" (it's close to 1K pages, highly informational, favored by chefs and foodies). Or on to something else. Never can tell.
  • I know so many people who do not read, it makes me a little sad actually.