Topic

Kingdom of Loathing

Anyone here who thinks this game has similarities with KoL?
(Or are the makers of this game, somewhat inspired by it?)

Posted 13 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I don't see a connection, apart from both being fun and funny. :)

To me, KoL's humor is more dry, and Glitch's is more whimsical.
    Posted 13 years ago by machi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The other day a player posted Fernswarthy's Letter on the notice board in the Gregarious Grange flat. I laughed out loud :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Victoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An adventurer is me!
    Posted 13 years ago by Jennyanydots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh wow, I haven't played KoL in years! I would agree with machi though. Also, doesn't KoL have battles or thieving? I seem to remember being in a group and trying to get stuff from other groups.
    Posted 13 years ago by anonymoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Years ago I played KoL. And for many years the account lay dormant. But screw going back, glitch is more fun.
    Posted 13 years ago by Some_Random_Guy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There is PvP in KoL but it's optional. To "activate" it you have to smash the Hippy Stone on your campsite :) They have that kind of humor with Glitch in common.
  • Humor and crafting. But Glitch has more crafting.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zurin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • There's also lots of crafting in KoL! Especially when you've ascended a few times. I think there's more crafting in KoL eventually.

I would love to see some more adventure quests in Glitch. Perhaps the butterflies are tired of getting milked and would just want some massages, eventually dropping a super-special item. Or the piggies are jealous of the butterflies and want a massage too. Something like that, playing within the excisting world but adding temporary different mechanics.
  • I love the idea of the pigs being jealous of the butterflies getting massages.
    Posted 13 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I saw similarities with KoL on multiple levels but considering that KoL is riffing on the MUDs from looong ago it isn't too surprising. I think that community interaction is easier in KoL but that could simply be because I have been on KoL since forever (2004 I think? 2005?).
    The humor is similar and the gather/travel aspects are too. I think KoL relies more on puzzles and pop culture and Glitch seems to have a heavier crafting/collecting and cuteness bent.
    I hope that both games continue to thrive.

I did wish for a community channel that was active to yell "I have a baby piggie!" in the first time I got one. ;)
    Posted 12 years ago by Lynore Sunshine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh, and the calendar is very similar to KoL imo
    Posted 12 years ago by Lynore Sunshine Subscriber! | Permalink