Topic

Donating animals. We do it for giants, why not for real people?

We were kicking around an idea in Global Chat about how much the giants enjoyed the donation of a pig, and that pig donations were just as exciting in real life.  One random conversation later (as is wont to happen in GC), we stumbled on the idea of the players and/or Tiny Speck working with Heifer International to do that very thing.  Perhaps with Glitch-specific animals.  For example:

A single pig can be donated to needy families for $120, or a share of a pig can be purchased for $10. 
A flock of chicks can be donated for $20.
Honeybees can be donated for $30 (the closest thing to butterflies....).
A self-sustaining garden can be donated for $170, or a share can be purchased for $20.

Certainly, the Penny Arcade folks have shown that gamers are generous with the Child's Play initiative.  Perhaps we can do the same with Glitch.

Discuss.  :)

Posted 13 years ago by Miss Configuration Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I'm in.

Suggestion, if tinyspeck are up for it. Either add a donation button on the subscription page
    or a tickybox to add ?(a dollar)? to your subscription amount that gets passed to the charity.

We're playing at farming to feed out little glitches.
    Let's turn that into something to help people who don't get to squish grapes and come back if they run out of beans.
    Posted 13 years ago by Duke Euphoria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think this idea has enormous potential!

The Glitch community is so warm and caring.  And Heifer International has been around for years doing exemplary work...    The idea that we can share our community in a very real, caring, compassionate and constructive way with the real world...  well I just love the idea!!   And what makes it all come together, in my mind anyway, is that we can share with Piggies, Chickens, Trees and Gardens!!!  All things from our wonderful Glitchy world!! 

I just donated a $10 share of a Piggie!! 

Maybe you will too. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We did a similar thing a couple of Christmases ago. There are a group of 15 -18 of us (depending on every bodies plans) who usually spend Christmas and New Year together. Rather than us all buying 15 -18 individual gifts, we usually do a secret Santa instead, but since we're all adults and none of us really 'need' anything for Christmas, we decided we'd go through a charity and each send a Goat to Africa on behalf of one of the others in our group. 
    The year after we adopted animals for each other. I got to adopt a Gorilla for a year.

The sending the animal to needy people felt more satisfying, as while I'm all for helping animals, I do believe in looking after ourselves too.  
    Posted 13 years ago by Ebil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've added this link to my profile.   I don't know how much traffic the "Off Topic" forum gets... but I SO like this idea.   Maybe others could add a link to their profiles as well?
  • We should set up a Glitch Team at Heifer.  I wonder if that would require Stoot, et al's approval?
    Posted 13 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like the idea. And I support it by 20$. Someone's going to have chicks flocking to them.
    Posted 13 years ago by Some_Random_Guy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Great idea!
    Posted 13 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ Kookaburra....  I totally support the Team at Heifer idea!!

And I suspect TS would get on board if more players were requesting.

Thanks for responding!!
  • @kookaburra - I think that's a fantastic idea.  Let's set up a Glitch team at Heifer to start.  I'll float the idea by TS and see what (if anything) they would like to do with it.  For each copper subscription in October, TS will donate $1 to Heifer?  Who can say?

@Pirate Apples - That's a great idea for getting the word out.  Once we have a glitch team set up, we can use that link in our glitch profiles!

Either way, the players can certainly get the movement started.  I'll look into setting up a glitch team at Heifer later tonight and keep everyone posted.
    Posted 13 years ago by Miss Configuration Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Excellent Miss Config!!  Thanks!
  • Thank you both - this is such a wonderful tie in! I'll be there the first day :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Bless you Miss C, I do something like this every year for Christmas, it's a wonderful idea.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink