Topic

Equivalent Characters in Names?

I was reading on the lottery thread and saw a warning about a fake Lord Bacon-o, and this person's profile has the exact same name except the "B" is not bolded: http://www.glitch.com/profiles/PA9VN9MTFSD2L79/

Does this mean there can be a substantial amount of duplicate names if people can substitute letters that are exactly the same but somehow not?

Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• That pretty much frightened me too, it could cause a lot of problems. I blocked the player immediately because in game the difference in the letters isn't visible. Only on his profile. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Zira Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes you can have duplicate names because certain characters look the same but are different. Compare
    Main character
    Doppelganger

Both names appear the same in chat, but those special characters will not show up above your head.

P.S. If you want to know the special characters, check out my Doppelganger's bio. The first "row" are those characters.
    Posted 12 years ago by Macs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That IS scary....Do you know the doppelganger at all?

Oh, nvm XD I got it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This used to happen waaaaaaaaay back in the early days of AOL. Capital I's would double as lower-case l's, and so on. Or someone would misspell a name, or swap two letters - but it looked close enough.
    Posted 12 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now I'm curious about who else has doppleganger pages....We do have players who are fairly popular by their name, so I can see this becoming a problem in the future...
    Posted 12 years ago by Jia-pop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Macs, thanks for your example! Are those characters from a regular keyboard? They don't look like special encoding or one of those extended unicode characters. And they look exactly the same when I copy and paste. Mysterious xD
  • Google "alt codes"
    *bows*
    Posted 12 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm I thought Alt Codes were for letters with accents and other symbols, but not regular alphabets. 
  • alt codes are any symbol. including different fonts
    Posted 12 years ago by Djoe6897 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @TomC The characters I use for my doppelganger are special characters. I use this page to search for these characters. The first row on the page are the standard characters one can type on a keyboard. The special ones start on the fourth row. Alternatively, you can check my doppelganger's bio for these characters.
    Posted 12 years ago by Μасѕ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah thanks for the info, very useful page!
  • To add more interest to this matter, when I try to follow my clone, the game gets confused. Both the waiting to confirm and so and so would like to follow you appear at the same time if I try to follow my clone. If I click OK, nothing happens.

confusing

I am confused, it is confused, everyone is confused.
    Posted 12 years ago by Μасѕ Subscriber! | Permalink