Topic

What kind of music do Glitch players like?

I'm 25 and I like late 80's-early 90's grunge/alt rock/pop-rock.

My personal favorites are Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. :)

Posted 13 years ago by The Black Chicken Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• My tastes are broad and varied. Everything from Sinatra to Stevie Ray Vaughn, Classical to Film Scores. 
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • FRANK ZAPPA!!!! Even have him tattoo'd on my back, hahaha.

Also Jeff Buckley, obviously. I reaaaally like old school blues too, the likes of Robert Johnson, Lead Belly, Blind Lemon Jefferson and the sort.

Also I'm 20.
    Posted 13 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 33 and I am a devoted (and some might say tragic) fan of the Beatles, David Bowie and I'll listen to most anything from pre 1990 and probably know the words.

And CeeLo.

Damn, I'm thirty THREE?
    Posted 13 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 31. The Civil Wars, Nickel Creek, Death Cab for Cutie, and Ellie Goulding (just for fun)
    Posted 13 years ago by Quinton Falkner Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yay for Nickel Creek! I love their take on Pavement's Spit on a Stranger.
  • Ambient, dub, oldskool hardcore, indie folk, garage, trip hop, alternative.... ect. ect. You gotta have wide horizon. Rock music got boring when I was 15.   
    Posted 13 years ago by BenAlex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 26 and I prefer most music from the 90's - early 2000 (big surprise I guess). Some of my favorite bands are Goo Goo Dolls, They Might Be Giants, and Foo Fighters. I love anything that has poetic lyrics and a good tone. My all time favorite song is Big Machine by Goo Goo Dolls.

I also like pretty much anything with a violin or similar instrument.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ryft Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm 30. I listen to industrial, dubstep, trancestep, glitch, ambient dub, reggae, black and prog metal, 20s to 40s big-band, avant-garde classical, breakcore, rhythmic noise, indie hip-hop (not so much shoegazey as unusual stuff), rockabilly, world music (especially Romani, Indian, and Middle Eastern)... most things, in other words. Oh, and the Deftones.
    I refuse to listen to modern country or top-40 radio (this dance-pop electro-house garbage needs to die quietly in a corner IMHO), I haven't been interested in punk since I was 15, and I don't find most indie-four-piece-with-a-clever-name bands to be compelling enough to get excited about.
    Posted 13 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I completely agree Djabrill! I can't stand all this auto-tune crap they are throwing out all over the place. If you can't sing, then don't.... quite using technology to do it for you! Skimpy clothes and flashing lights do NOT make you a good musician... just my opinion lol.
  • That. ^^^
    And I'm sick of hearing how some random person who can sort of carry a tune (the way a lot of the people in my high-school choir could) is a genius for wearing clothes whilst letting other people produce their work and run their vox through more filters than a Dasani bottling plant. If "genius" gets applied to cookie-cutter pop-stars anymore, then clearly the bar has been woefully lowered.
  • It's all about merchandising Djabrill lol. They aren't selling the music, they are selling the image. Apparently, all teenage girls wanna look like 9 year old boys and all teenage guys want to look like drug addicts. =P

...and wow I sound old.
  • Hee. I'm fond of "hipster" music (the indie stuff you've been talking about). Sue me. ^___^
  • I'm pretty much only into Vocaloid, or J-pop/rock...
    Posted 13 years ago by Cirnots Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I tend to listen to soundtracks to movies/shows/videogames/etc so pinning down genres is difficult; recently I've been listening to the Persona 3+4 OST and the various remixes that appear in youtube. I have to admit that I love Yoko Kanno compositions and the Amélie soundtrack.

I love mashups, covers of all kinds, a capella medleys of various disney movies, the odd catchy tune that pops up in advertising, silly geeky stuff, twee pop songs from the 90s and early 2000s, the opening/ending themes to shows from my childhood - I will forever be bitter that I can never hear the full version of the Cybersix themes - I'm not afraid to admit that I'm also fond of some of the popular music that came out in recent years. Anything and everything basically.
    Posted 13 years ago by Saulie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm named after a Raymond Scott song.

I DJ at various nights, where I play krautrock, psych, C86, outsider music and J-pop (not usually in the same night, but sometimes...).  I mostly go to DIY gigs.  I tend to like stuff with an unusual slant (I have an affinity for the avant-garde and experimental) but I can also appreciate a good tune.

Ryft and Djabrill, you sound like you're both about 60 years old!  Either that, or teenagers who are desperately attempting to carve out your own identity through opposition.  Auto-tune is a tool, that can be used brilliantly or crappily, it's not something to rail against.  But then, I also love vocoders and talking guitars...
    Posted 13 years ago by Cindy Electronium Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Black Chicken - I'm not criticizing anybody who likes indie rock, it just doesn't jiggle my handle. I'm synaesthetic (my brain is wired to interpret one sensory input with more than one sensory reaction), which plays a lot into what I do and don't enjoy, and indie rock is generally pretty synaesthetically boring to me. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

@Cindy - Autotune is a tool when it's not a crutch or a gimmick. I'm 30 years old. I produce music and DJ. As a job. All I expect of the music I listen to is a reason to listen to it... perhaps an original idea, or maybe a unique take on something, rather than the same stuff I've heard 50 times. I can appreciate a catchy song, but I appreciate a good catchy song more. The trouble I have with top-40 is that there's no substance there- it's basically the same thing, over and over. As an example, how many songs are there about being in the club on the radio right now? How many of those heavily feature Autotune? How many of them are unique to themselves and won't sound like the next song? Loads, many, and very few. 
    I'd like to stress a point here that should be taken for granted- musical tastes are subjective. It's all very well to disagree with somebody's personally-held assessment of music, but another to get all hot and bothered and jump somebody's case for disliking something you like yourself. My loathing for Lady Gaga, for instance, doesn't mean I'm a terrible person with deep-seated psychological problems; it means that I don't like it due to preference, much like my dislike of yams. And that's about as deep as it is, too- I don't like it, and getting brow-beat about how I must be 60 for disliking something and don't know what I'm talking about won't make me like it.

Also, find me a 60-year-old who's into dubstep and industrial. I'd love to meet 'em.
  • @Djabriil: I'm a 50 year-old who plays Rock Band. And I'm with you and Ryft - not a big fan of auto-tune. (In short, when done well, it's cool. But it's not done terribly well very often.)
    Posted 13 years ago by TK-855 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • While I have everything from Simon & Garfunkel to the Melvins in my collection, I mostly listen to electronica (Psybient, Trance, etc.). Some of my favorites: Shpongle, Entheogenic, Banco de Gaia, Younger Brother, Infected Mushroom, Loop Guru, Celtic Cross, Hallucinogen, Prometheus, Juno Reactor, Orbital, Total Eclipse, and several dozen others.
    Posted 13 years ago by Eleni Ivanova Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Djabrill: Blixa Bargeld is 53!  Chris Carter is 58!  Cosey Fanni Tutti is 60 in two weeks!
    Posted 13 years ago by Cindy Electronium Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Then there you go.
  • If it is authentic and expressing good talent I pretty much like it.
    Posted 13 years ago by Rev. Lightbringer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like plenty of things, from Bad Religion to Lady Gaga to Public Enemy to Duran Duran. The genres I spend the most time with are probably 80s electropop and 90s trip-hop. The only big genres I'm not really into are country and dubstep.
    Posted 13 years ago by Effigy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • another +1 for dubstep :)

also a fan of the glitch mob. they always come out to sf at least once a year. dope show fa sho!
    Posted 13 years ago by Ironmoney Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Forgot to mention my love of cheesy 60's pop. And being a 90's baby the tunes of that era always take me back, haha. I have tended to drift away from more current music. Was looking through my itunes the other day to make a playlist for a party, and bar a couple albums, the 'newest' music I had was at least a minimum of 5 years old, haha, and they were all just compilation albums.

@Saulie, how good is acapella? I have to see Ted from Scrubs band The Blanks when they come to Australia. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was a teenager in the 70's and of course I love the 70's rock. I also love some 60's.. mostly the late 60's, some of the 80's. I love country, jazz, blues, and classical as well. Can't seem to get into the newer music really. I suppose some of it is ok but Lady Gaga makes me puke.
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh yeah, she is not pleasant. In saying that she does have some good messages going that I guess are pretty uplifting for her target audiences. A little girl did a cover of one of her songs which is just amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0wi1m-89o
  • Oh yeah that little girl did a very nice job of the song. I think that is the only song that is pretty good in GaGa's songs . I think what turns me off is not so much her song but her stage performances. Some of it is just plain gross. There is no way I would allow my grandkids to even have her music in our house due to some of the stuff she does on stage and certainly refuse to buy it for them.. their parents agree with me and don't let them have her music in the house and won't allow them to watch her videos.
    Posted 12 years ago by Casombra Amberrose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just don't care for the plasticity and marketing-as-art of the whole thing. I'd rather listen to music than a commodity, particularly when I don't find the commodity in question to be that different from any other being pushed at the moment (all this "amazing artistry" BS that gets thrown around about her notwithstanding). It's not that I think people who like her are idiots- I personally just don't see the appeal in the least.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, will certainly never be jumping on the Gaga train.
  • I'm on all of the trains. There really isn't a genre where I can't find something I like.

But my favourite is REM.
    Posted 12 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm completely obsessed with 60s/70s French female singers like Francoise Hardy, Jacqueline Taieb and France Gall, however am off to see Motorhead tomorrow night....work that one out?
    Posted 12 years ago by Geezereth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • last.fm, anyone?
    Posted 12 years ago by asparagus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • www.last.fm/user/Cefeida
    Posted 12 years ago by Cefeida Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I mostly listen to classic rock. Lately I have been listening to some jpop/jrock.
    Posted 12 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • METAL! Mostly Thrash, as there has been a lovely revival of late: Havok, Gama Bomb, Mantic Ritual, Bonded By Blood, and the like.

I also dig Gogol Bordello, Revolver, lots of old punk, the Strokes, and on and on.
    Posted 12 years ago by shipwreck Subscriber! | Permalink