Topic

Staff Topic

New: Icons of the Giants (or, a Third Use for Emblems)

It is now possible to use Emblems to make "Icons" of the Giants. There are 11 new items, one each for Alph, Cosma, Friendly, Grendaline, Humbaba, Lem, Mab, Pot, Spriggan, Tii and Zille. Making an Icon requires 11 of the same Emblem (e.g., 11 Emblems of Mab can be used to make one Icon of Mab).

Like Emblems, Icons have three single-use-daily verbs on them which give XP, mood and currants (though the Icon versions give substantially higher return). You also have a chance of magically receiving significant favor from a Giant when you are near one of its Icons placed on the ground. Note: In order to continue to perform their magic, Icons must be tithed to occasionally.

Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• AHH - something to work towards - leisurely, thanks!
    Posted 13 years ago by bad2dabone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sounds like I'm going to need a bigger house at some point :D
    +1
    Posted 13 years ago by Twoodle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So what happens if you get all 11 icons together? Can we create a 'Giant' statue?
    Posted 13 years ago by Ahye Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Ahye, I think you mean 11 of EACH Icon lol, and don't give the Devs any ideas for the next Current sinkhole, this one just started.
    Posted 13 years ago by TRB4 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh and I have such happy memories of emblem trails EOTW

But great move forward 

I think....*accumulating 12s*
    Posted 13 years ago by Sonneratti Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I managed to save 11 Lems for BL5 but I got curious and made an icon. I'm not sure if I should be happy lol
    Posted 13 years ago by Raktivist Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Standard emblems give mood, XP, and energy. Any reason why the icons give currants instead of energy? Anyone confirmed this?
    Posted 13 years ago by Tegid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They don't give currents, they take them.
    Posted 13 years ago by Abby Smalls Subscriber! | Permalink
  • awesome. just used like 4 emblems on teleportation and then i see this.
    Posted 13 years ago by Crocen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An icon to Cosma will look lovely on my mantle piece. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Grem Sketch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hope this means that emblems stack now so we don't have a lot of emblems sitting in inventory waiting for 11 of them.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nirosu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TRB4 wrote: On a similar note, the Icon does not seem to be the sum of it's parts. The amount of XP, mood, and energy gained from an icon is not that much more then one gains from an emblem. ~3 times more XP and mood, and only 15 more energy? Seems pretty weak.

agreed, doesn't seem worth the effort at all... more like end-game ive-got-a-million-currants-just-chilling-in-my-pocket content. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Fur Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This looks great!  Thank you so much.  You guys always surprise and delight!!!!
    Posted 13 years ago by AlmostSilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What's needed now are printable Giant masks in time for Zilleween.
    Posted 13 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love love love love love this!!!!!
    Posted 13 years ago by ✦ SHI∇IΔΠ ✦ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow... that sounds totally awesome! At this point I can't fathom acquiring 11 of a kind of an emblem since it takes more favor to get an emblem each time you get an emblem... so it gets harder and harder with time. Maybe in the very, very long term I'll get to have one of these things... That's an extra reason to stick around for the long haul! Well, I suppose that if street projects start up again and they continue to give emblems as rewards then it may be a wee-bit easier...
    Posted 13 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Never ceasing to be impressed... Wtg TS!
    Posted 13 years ago by Dr007 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • this icon thing only reminds me how scary looking the giants are. shiver.
    Posted 13 years ago by arrrrya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree that the payoffs for a shrine are really, really weak. It should at least be like 5% or something of your overall XP / Energy / Mood at your current level (so if you had all 11 shrines you wouldn't auto-level each time you interacted with them). This is kinda pathetic :-(
    Posted 13 years ago by ✦ SHI∇IΔΠ ✦ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Shivian - s/shrine/icon/g   (perhaps?)
    Posted 13 years ago by Lara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What a neat idea - the art looks great, too. I'd love it if there could be some kind of a shrine to build in your house to collect all your icons. Or even a shrine inside those group halls we might have in future! It'd be neat for a group to build a hall, and then get resources to dedicate a shrine in the hall to a chosen patron Giant. Sort of like Italian guilds used to do with saints in the Renaissance. I dunno, could be fun. :D
    Posted 13 years ago by Laerwen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Looks like a lot of people are missing this bit:

You also have a chance of magically receiving significant favor from a Giant when you are near one of its Icons placed on the ground.

Getting bonuses just for walking around your house rearranging the piles on the floor? That's not too shabby.
    Posted 13 years ago by matt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Also, maybe they don't be the sum of there parts... except in the long run.
    I also point to this.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lord Bacon-o Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @stoot barfield:

May we possibly get the option of interacting with our Icon (the three R's) without having to pick it up off the ground? 
    Posted 13 years ago by Zu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "May we possibly get the option of interacting with our Icon (the three R's) without having to pick it up off the ground? "

Yes, this would be much appreciated! Achievements for obtaining each icon would also be sweet!

My results at level 36...not sure if these vary, but are only available once per day like emblems:

Interacting with Grendaline emblem gave 25 mood, 20 energy and 36 xp
    Interacting with Grendaline Icon gave 63 mood, 44 energy and 37 xp

Someone also got 93 energy when the icon was dropped next to them in my house.

Also, they cannot be picked up in your house by a visitor...outside they can.

EDIT: Day 2 Results:
    Interacting with Grendaline Icon gave 43 mood, 38 energy and 84 xp
    Posted 13 years ago by Joe Blow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That experience gain is weak.

Can you do the exp gain for both the emblem AND the icons daily? (If you do the icon you won't be blocked from doing it on the emblem for example)
    Posted 13 years ago by Bluigi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so awesome! Another goal to work towards. Whoo!
    Posted 13 years ago by Drumroll Please Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Can you do the exp gain for both the emblem AND the icons daily?"

The emblems disappear when you create the Icon, so you can only interact with it.

The random rewards for being around it seem better than interacting with it, as another person visiting my house got 78 mood for standing next to. The owner of the stupid thing (me), however, has yet to receive a random reward :(
  • What is the mechanism for creating the icon?  Does it automagically happen when you have 11 the same?  Is there a command you use that appears once you have enough of them?  Do they all have to be in bags you are carrying?  Emblems don't stack so far as I can tell.
    Posted 13 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had all emblems in my inventory, and an "Iconize" option was then available when clicking one of the emblems. So it's a manual operation.
  • This is purple sheets of paper all over again.
    Posted 13 years ago by lucy jane Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The thing about getting favor from it is pretty weak unless it's all-Giant favor.... I mean, it has to make up for the fact that you could have tipped 11 emblems worth of favor into speeding learning with that giant...
    Posted 13 years ago by Axe-a-lot-l Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Joe Blow: We're working on making the three R-verbs interactable when the Icon is on the ground (in player-owned locations only).

Also, the rewards from the R-verbs will have a chance to be larger, the higher the level of your Glitch.
    Posted 13 years ago by Mart Lume Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the information, Mart!

One looks cool in the house...they're like pieces of art! I can only imagine all 11.

Speaking of which, maybe a shrine/icon room would be appropriate once we can customize our houses? Or something similar to the trophy case? Maybe a separate tier above or below the trophies?

Seems it will get a bit cluttered after 6 or so :)
  • Still hoping we can get emblems to stack. Even if its only stack in like 5's
    Posted 13 years ago by Nirosu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What a lot of grumblings in here.

This sounds fun and like something to work on, thanks TS peoples. 
    Posted 13 years ago by Lyn Frog, Esq Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No grumblings here :)

I think they're cool, regardless of whether they're "worth it" in what they return through interacting with them (which remains to be seen). There's a novelty factor with them, a-la cubimals, and, as you say, fun to work toward!

That said, it's important to know what they do in terms of rewards, and whether they are worth getting *right now*, or more of a longer term goal.
  • Ooh, shiney!  A new toy!  Thanks devs, though it will take me a while to get around to making one.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Neat, but if what TRB4 is saying is true... doesn't seem quite worth it, in terms of gain. BUT I'll still be doing it, lol.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cerulean Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I suspect that icons are more about devotion than the exchange of goods and services, in which case any discussion about fairness and value is...unprofitable?  
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This idea does so much for the higher level players. The art and concepts are top notch. This game continues to get better and better. Hugs devs!
    Posted 13 years ago by Riverwalker Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love this idea :)  I did manage to get a Tii.  This morning I walked up to it and got the rainbow and it told me I got.............    0 favor lol!  Maybe next time :)
    Posted 13 years ago by Cabinwood Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Mart Lume: Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you. (did I say thank you already?)

@Joe Blow: " Achievements for obtaining each icon would also be sweet!" To quote kevbob, "there should be a badge for that." Yes, please! May I suggest the name "Auntie Iconoclast" for the title.
    Posted 13 years ago by Zu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Icons are an awesome idea!

After discussing with some other players in game I've created a group for people who'd like to participate in an emblem exchange with the goal of gaining 11 emblems to create an icon

Group: Group Emblem Trading, Icon Creation

You should join if you:
    (A) Have one of each 11 emblems
    (B) Want to obtain 1 icon
    (C) Are willing to trade in 10 different emblems to receive 10 of the same back
    (D) Are an honest, fun player

Please check out the group posting for a full explanation of the idea and a list of people already signed up to participate!

-snowpuff (Corey)
    Posted 13 years ago by Snowpuff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • aww I just spent a emblem..  :-/ lol
    Posted 13 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Fits 1 in a backpack slot ....

I can see a problem if someone wants to move to another house .
    What if someone collected all 11 ?
    We need a moving box asap .

A suggestion is if you move you can put stuff like this with your collected items.
    Or a special moving box ?
    Posted 13 years ago by Great Brain Robbery Subscriber! | Permalink
  • These

are

terrifying... SO MANY EYES
    Posted 13 years ago by Cait Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just joined Group Emblem Trading, Icon Creation and signed up for one of the last spots. Mab and Spriggan are still left if you guys are interested in obtaining an icon easily!
    Posted 13 years ago by Klara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love if we could display these in front of homes, like gnomes -- to show our giant alliance. :) (With or without the bless functionality. Preferably with bless functionality for anyone who has permission to enter your house, perhaps with a key -- note how I sneak a second feature request in here... and now I sneak away...)
    Posted 13 years ago by Jirel of Joiry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • question for someone who has achieved an icon: do you have to be HOLDING all 11 emblems or just have collected 11 emblems from the shrine?
    Posted 13 years ago by greenkozi Subscriber! | Permalink