Topic

Death

what does death add to the game, if anything?

the crushed grapes become wine in the world of the living, i think.. any ideas for how this wine might be used any differently for any other item?

would you like to see hell expanded? do you think it might be possible for some players to eventually want to spend more time dead than alive?

what about other ways of dying beyond running out of energy? would you like to see that? any ideas for how this might occur?

does the existence of hell preclude the possibility of zombies or ghosts? would you like to see zombies or ghosts integrated into the game somehow?

Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• personally I want to have the option of purchasing property in hell. I can see it now, a lovely little cottage with a picture window on main street in hell.
    Posted 14 years ago by InfiniteVoid Subscriber! | Permalink
  • after the end of the first testing session i ended up as a "zombie". the game considered me dead, but i somehow avoided going to hell. i could walk around the game doing things without incurring any energy penalty, because i was already at 0 energy.

unfortunately i couldn't make anything, due to the lack of energy. so i couldn't complete most quests. i was just a mule.

it would be cool to be a zombie tho, as part of the game-play, not a bug. to be able to lurch around indefinitely without need for food or rest, though unable to engage in more complex tasks.

it might say something about the nature of grinding if the best way to go about it was as a zombie : ]
  • Death is stupid. It's jarring and totally distracts from the game.
    I'm doing something and BAM suddenly i'm taken away from what i was doing.
    Who wants that? :\
    Posted 14 years ago by yeoz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yes. we should at least have the chance to play out epic death scenes.
  • what is the alternative ?
    When you ran out of energy : The player will stand still, while recovering energy ?

I kind of like the whole hell idea. And yes, it's awsome to interact with it and having to be "dead" to complete some puzzles.
    Posted 14 years ago by .gatto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • you could run out of energy and not be able to do anything complicated, like making, but still be able to walk around and pick stuff up and such. energy could then serve as as a brake on potential infinite making engine strategies. you could walk around trying to scavenge some grub in order to build up energy reserves in order to complete quests. or become frozen and slowly regenerate energy.

anyway - i'm not sure that "interaction" is really what goes on in hell, currently. you just squish grapes. i'm also unaware of any puzzles you have to be dead in order to solve.

constantly shoulder checking an energy meter just to be able to walk around and talk with people isn't exactly my idea of 'fun'.
  • i prefer the 'no making' concept, myself. it is a bit more like hunger in real life.

when you get hungry, you don't *die*. at least not very quickly. you become depleted of energy, irritated and unable to do much of anything except be desperate to eat something.

i do like the concept of hell and in game death, but maybe falls from a certain height or eating poisonous items is a better way to invoke it.

.. or maybe maybe make your low energy state a lot easier to notice sneaking up on you. it's like yeoz says, you're in the middle of doing stuff and BAM you're dead. the alternative is to either not do very much, or to be constantly keeping your eyes on the energy meter.
  • I quite like the idea of death as it make a player more conscious of their actions while making and harvesting items, I think there should be more of a consequence than a short trip to hell... the grapes of wrath are too quick and easy to complete to be of any real deterrent to death, I like the idea of having poisonous items though.

Also why's I end up in hell I was being good and everything...
    Posted 14 years ago by Jeff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i actually don't mind death so much now. in the last testing session it was changed so that as you got close to death while walking around, you'd receive plenty of warning before actually dying.

so no more walking around laa dee daa death.

still, you could end up dead if trying to make large numbers of items without the requisite energy. if you're the kind of player who is processing items in the 100s, i think it is fair to be smacked on the nose from time to time if you're not paying enough attention to the energy part of the equation.
  • I would rather stomp grapes in "purgatory" for a while with Lucy and Ethel, and save hell as a quest of its own. I want to go down to hell to fetch someone or something out, like Orpheus.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I didn't get to 'die' this time, but I agree that Hell should be a very different quest, with a very difficult task to complete in order to escape, if ever.
    I think that perhaps the character should appear as a translucent 'ghost' of it's former self.
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An interesting experience, playing and dying for the first time all within the space of minutes! I'm still not sure if it was caused by my slow computer or something buggy in the game, but that's another thread. The idea of having a Purgatory for an "oops" sort of death, and then a separate Hell with its own quest(s) is rather appealing (as per Lalu's post).
    Posted 14 years ago by Calliope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Death is stupid. It's jarring and totally distracts from the game."

Death is stupid always catches my eye in this thread. I love that line. And somehow, it seemed like it needed to be a haiku:

death is way stupid
    it's jarring and distracting
    grapes are slim solace
    Posted 14 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's interesting to me that striatic thought death was less likely this week. I hadn't seen hell till Tuesday myself, and then managed to land there a few times. Whatever warning mechanism was added, I didn't notice it. (Which seems to be something I am pretty good at in Glitch, hyperfocusing or something and missing something I'm meant to see.)

I kinda like the notion of hell myself and feel like it's kinda a newbie mistake that people will learn to avoid if it's annoying to them. I do think the grapes are odd for hell... it's awfully hot down there and they wouldn't survive much longer than a snow cone. But I realize they're largely a placeholder till hell gets filled out a bit.

So I'm a hell fan. I think there should be a quickish way to get out for people who want to, possibly that is expedited by having an object or skill. And I also like the notion of having to complete a challenge to get out... but it would be tedious if you had to do that again and again, which is why there should be a more expedient way out.

Also, I think there should be some brimstone in your pocket when you return from hell, which might be a valued ingredient for making something.
  • I also wonder about having nine circles of hell, and whether there's potential for something interesting there. Hell right now is somewhat the first circle (limbo), for the innocent damned as I recall. (Although the other eight circles in the Inferno map don't map onto Glitch well, so it falls apart on that level.)
  • Don't know why I'm running on about hell today... I'll shut up soon.

But I just had a thought that the nine circles of hell should be like hula hoops or some other kind of silly circle. Maybe you have to get (or get through?) nine circles of some form to get out. Something with nine circles would make way more sense than grapes to me.

(Hula hoops would be funny, though I can't quite figure how to add them to the character or have a hula hoop action. Maybe they would just orbit the player if they were picked up.)
  • "I think that perhaps the character should appear as a translucent 'ghost' of it's former self."

a la Dofus...still, watching other people as ghosts was always more fun than being one yourself.
  • Hell/death is an essential part of the game. If your energy goes too low, of course, it makes sense for you to die. To emulate a "real world", there needs to be a balance of life and death. The concept of grape crushing is "cute", but I think there ought to be a quest or a greater challenge to get back to the "land of the living". As far as other things that can kill you...how about some trees are poisonous and kill you and/or you squeeze too many chickens or nibble too many pigs and they go crazy and kill you?
    Posted 14 years ago by SquidProQuo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If I die too many times or too frequently in a set period of time, I should be reborn as a strange animal, like a warthog--or an odd plant. I would have to get players who aren't already on my buddy list to pet me or harvest me a number of times so I can be reborn again as my original character. The players who bring me back could get xp as their incentive.
  • I like that idea Lalu. *pets you for 1000xp*
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like Lalu's idea as well, kind of like the rock-paper-scissors game where you work your way to superhero.
    Posted 14 years ago by lauraglu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like to see hell expanded too. I was down the bottom of The Drop and there's no food options and I didn't take enough with me. Low on energy and spazzing out I could not seem to get out. Eventually I 'died' but then it was easier, squish a few grapes and all was well. I thought I needed to be punished way more for my stupidity that time! But, just for being tired there should be a 'you are tired, no more play, enforced sleep somewhere' thing maybe, rather than hell?
    Posted 14 years ago by onelittlebird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i said earlier in this topic:

"i actually don't mind death so much now. in the last testing session it was changed so that as you got close to death while walking around, you'd receive plenty of warning before actually dying."

i still agree with that, except the one time i died during the most current test was while gardening, since i had absolutely no warning while in the gardening interface. this should be addressed.