Topic

Forum enhancement

Whenever I came to check the forum, I was frustrated by one thing - I could not see which topics have new replies to them. So, last night, I wrote a little extension for Google Chrome, that fixes it. You can download it here:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dckfjmkhknpiddlfjgggllpnmlfdpgjl

What exatly does it do?

1. It shows how many new replies (if any) are there since you last read the topic: http://glitch.fczbkk.com/sshots/overview.jpg Clicking on the red indicator takes you to the first unread reply.
2. Unread replies are highlighted in the topic detail: http://glitch.fczbkk.com/sshots/highlight.jpg
3. If there are any new replies, there's a link at the top of the topic, that takes you directly there: http://glitch.fczbkk.com/sshots/jumpto.jpg

Enjoy.

Posted 12 years ago by fczbkk Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Looks like the right answer to this forum maze :]
    Firefox anyone?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • nice. thank u.
    Posted 12 years ago by tiptronic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lemo: It should be no problem to port the code into Firefox. I might do it, if people are interested. At least I'll have some excercise. Haven't coded anything for Firefox in a long time.
  • Very helpful, but it seems to have a problem with forum threads that have multiple pages. (for me at least, using Chrome in Ubuntu Linux)
    Posted 12 years ago by Hawkwell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • thank you so much!! =)
    Posted 12 years ago by starrkittyface Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Come on firefox users, show some interest ^^
  • I am interested! 
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarlett Bearsdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • fczbkk, I really like your enhancement!  Maybe you could add one more feature??  I now know when there are new comments on posts I have read, but for the rest of the posts there is no indication whether or not I have read them.  Since I don't read every post, but rather skim through the titles and read a few that grab my interest, it would be nice to be able quickly to differentiate between a post I haven't read and one that I have but which has no new comments.  Perhaps where there is now a red  bar with "x new" for new comments, there could be a black bar with "0 new" on posts I have read but which have no new comments.  That would be great for the way I read the forums!  Either way, thanks again for your nifty tool!
    Posted 12 years ago by Hawkwell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Hawkwell Thanks for the bug report. I'll try to find a workaround for multi-page threads. And thanks for the idea for indicating viewed threads with no new comments.
  • Niiiiiice, thanks you so much :D

+10 000 xp for you
    Posted 12 years ago by Rutger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would love a version for Firefox... thank you in advance!
    Posted 12 years ago by TransplantedEntwife Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 for Firefox!
    Posted 12 years ago by Pirate Apples Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Have it loaded...thanks for the enhancement!!  It works great.  Wish it told me of threads that I had read that had no new comments so I could tell which threads I had read and which ones I've not opened yet. (maybe a green tab if I have read it, but no new comments?)

I initially thought it wasn't working, but then as I thought about it, makes sense, you can't tell if I've read a thread before I loaded the tool.  Look forward to seeing how much more I like it after I've used it for a while...I know I will, and thanks for the improvement/enhancement to the forum! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Pink Flamingo~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hi everybody! Thank you all for your feedback.

I have updated the extension, so that it indicates threads that you previously read, even if they have no new replies. The new indicator is green and it says "no new".

Your extension should update automaticaly soon. Or you can update it manually right now by going to your extensions settings page (chrome://settings/extensions) and clicking on the "Update extensions now" button. Or you can re-install it from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dckfjmkhknpiddlfjgggllpnmlfdpgjl
  • I've been using this for a few days and IT IS THE BEST DAMN THING EVER!!! Thank you soooooo much!
    Posted 12 years ago by phelps.mike Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wow, this is really fantastic. Thank you so much fczbkk :D It makes the forums so much clearer. Great job.
    Posted 12 years ago by Flowerry Pott Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1
    Posted 12 years ago by Jewel Stoned Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Raaaahhhhhhh when is the firefox version coming?
    Please, pretty please?
    (:
  • This is really great.  Many thanks!
    Posted 12 years ago by crassielassie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Truly awesome, and much-needed!

--Me
    Posted 12 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks so much for this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Abby Cadabra Subscriber! | Permalink