Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 Next
  • LETS GET IT TO 1000 YAY
    Posted 12 years ago by Ultra-Dynamic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • even better: 1009
    Posted 12 years ago by Khetnen Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is just spam... Please stop. Let's go back to how we love it, while trying to get 1,009 posts?

I like the Scion of Purple Stuff. Why aren't there more? Like a Scion of Purple Toy. There's a Sno Cone Vendor Toy.
    Posted 12 years ago by I Love You TS Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm super frustrated, though I know I shouldn't be; I put down two garden plots in my test house front yard, just seeing how they dropped - I can't get them up or delete them.  I feel ridiculous, knowing they'll all reset, but I keep going back and.. nope, they won't budge.  Anyone else put down garden features and not been able to get rid of them?
    Posted 12 years ago by Wye Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wye, you can get rid of them by using them up either naturally (through use of the plots) or by pouring Wine of the Dead over the plots. 

You can obtain Wine of the Dead by trading certain tickets (received after someone mourns/celebrates your tombstone) with a bartender at the end of Naraka. After pouring the Wine of the Dead over the plot, you'll have the option of either restoring the plots or removing the plots. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wine Of The Dead is also available on the Auctions.  
    Posted 12 years ago by WindBorn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Stuff that was once sitting on my counter is now floating above my counter.

Edit: Fixed! Thanks, Millie.
    Posted 12 years ago by E D D I E Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Drag your counter into your inventory, then put it back and rearrange the stuff that was on it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Please incorporate the bog house basements into the new bog houses. This is a must for all bog house lovers.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sir Lagsalot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my god the bog house stuff.

*immediately redecorates entire house*

I have always loved the bog house decorations best of anywhere. Any chance we could have MOAR wall decorations for the test house? I don't have nearly enough. Another sixty MIGHT do. :||
    Posted 12 years ago by Arii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Love the bog house stuff also :)

Really chopping at the bit for the imagination change over that should happen any day now...
    Posted 12 years ago by Boaz Jachin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • On the 'Whimsy' house, the window for the top portion of the house doesn't change with the other window customisations. So when my lower windows are purple and in one design the top one is in brown and in another design. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Oristia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One of my pigs and both of my butterflies have randomly disappeared out of my home street, in spite of being well cared for and placed in ideal conditions.
    Posted 12 years ago by Raziya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Raziya, pigs can be pignapped and butterflies get used up rather quickly. It's not a random disappearance in all probabilities.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dinnaga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if you all are still reading this.  My Glitch pauses for a few seconds as I walk across the house at the same place every time.  There is a wallpaper change at the spot she stops walking, and it's a little before the door upstairs.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lucille Ball Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Geez, Rook! Here I was expecting a new update/test, only to find out this is almost 2 months old :(
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • huh? Rook's post gone? Now it looks like Ipulled it up. Crap.
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Woah... how did he do that? I thought we couldn't delete our posts, only edit them?
    Posted 12 years ago by Shepherdmoon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will you be able to put furniture up for auction
    Posted 12 years ago by GuyOn A Buffalo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We can delete posts; however, this old bumped thread has been superseded by the R3 topic.
    Posted 12 years ago by kevbob Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 Next