Topic

Staff Topic

How to Test the New Houses

OK! Now you can test some parts of the new housing system. We're concentrating here on furniture and decoration (later releases will add the ability to craft new furniture, expand houses, cultivate land and use imagination to grow your yard and home street).

To try it out, get in the game type "/home" in local chat (it is deliberately hard to do right now so that people don't get confused and think this is *the* permanent switchover — this house is just for your testing and customizations will eventually be reset). When you're at home, there will be a new button which takes you back to the regular game world.

Once you go inside, you'll see the new furniture tab by your inventory and a "decorate" button at the top-right of the game. Go crazy. Upgrading furniture is all free right now (in the future, some upgrades will be subscriber-only and some will cost credits).

You can't get any more furniture for now and you also can't give, trade or sell furniture until the next release (or maybe the one after that). However, you can bring your stuff over to the new house and not worry about it getting lost when we reset (we'll keep it all safe) — it is just the furniture customizations that you'll lose.

To move furniture around and place items on furniture, you need to be in "decoration mode", which will hide your avatar and allow you to use the arrow keys to pan around your house.

You'll be switched to decoration mode automatically when you drag something out of your furniture bag, but you can also hit the "decorate" button in the top right of the game window.

To change wallpaper, ceilings and floors, hit the "swatches" button which appears in the top bar when you're in decoration mode. You can stamp the patterns on or drag them into place. For wallpapers you can either to a single segment or the whole wall at once.

Finally, though the land outside your house is fixed for now (you can't expand it or add/remove resources yet) you do have a customizable signpost outside: you can use that to add up to five signs pointing to the home streets of people from your friends list.

Any questions? Thoughts? ;)

See also:  Blog post  •  Video Demo

Note: If you don't see any furniture (or just your trophies) inside your furniture bag when you enter your house, type "/home" again.

Note 2: You can type "/home" from wherever you are in the world, including other people's houses.

Note 3: We will give plenty of notice before the real switchover to the new housing system and, if you own a regular in-world house at that time, all of the items inside it will be moved over automatically. You don't have to move everything yourself.

Note 4: Many questions and answers have been summarized in this (unofficial!) FAQ

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19
  • Ok first love the new housing so thanks. I have encountered a little bug I just changed my name but my house and street still say the old name. I have /leave and cleared cache but its still saying the old name. Just thought I better let you know. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by ♫Melody♫ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Only two complainys camt go in attic amd no cabinent
    Posted 12 years ago by SockMonkey101 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Only two complainys camt go in attic amd no cabinent
    Posted 12 years ago by SockMonkey101 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not a complaint at all (love the new houses) but it seems weird to me that I can get to the house streets of people that haven't played for months and months and essentially use their streets as as extension of my own. Seems like this is ripe for abuse?
    Posted 12 years ago by Idalia Dahlia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Idalia - I don't see the abuse. Where's the harm? Just effective use of available resources :) It's not as if you're taking anything away from anyone.
    Posted 12 years ago by Spockian Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Errata, I'm having the same issue with room decorations. ):
    Posted 12 years ago by Xacau Feera Blin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I realize that not loosing mood and energy while in decorating mode is a design feature, but should we also be able to craft while our mood is frozen?  Right now decorating mode in my new house is my favorite place for all manner of crafting.  From Bubble Tunning to Tincturing all I have to do is max out my mood and enter decorating mode... and I can craft all day without ever worrying about my mood dropping one bit.  Awesome? Yes! Intended? Probably not...  maybe object interactions should be disabled in decorating mode?
    Posted 12 years ago by Syruss Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aflak!
    Posted 12 years ago by OMG BACON!! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • suggestion (or request) and fyi

Since everyone is decorating, and wants to show off their work, but people don't want strangers in their house, maybe we could have a way to peek in anyone's window and see the ground floor (but not the back yard), at least if the (upcoming) lights are on and the curtains are open.

Also, I didn't read about this specifically being fixed so ... I understand trophies on display in your (old) "house" are not available to be displayed in your (new) "home". However, I stored away all my trophies at my house, then I went to my home and got some out, then went back to the house, and they were all still available to be displayed.  So if you want them out in both places, try that.
    Posted 12 years ago by mr granberry Subscriber! | Permalink
  • sock monkey101 - Cabinets are coming in the next release... Attics will be replaced by multiple floors.
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have read that multiple floors will be available, but I see nothing from staff about attics being eliminated. Can you please post a link?
    Posted 12 years ago by Audaria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Will our future houses still be tied to a particular locale? I love that choosing where to live has different benefits and consequences. That's actually one of the features that made me interested in playing Glitch. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Fennel Nettic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey y'all! I noticed that the floor decorations will no longer let you place them on the furthest layer back, even though you can place every other item up against the wall. Is this a bug?
    Posted 12 years ago by heartNadia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be terrific if we could start learning new house-related skills now, even if we couldn't use them for a while, and even if their quests aren't ready yet.  Many of us finished the existing skills long ago, and our magic rocks make sad faces.
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +! to glum's suggestion. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Tibbi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is great!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by gracerigney Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is great!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by gracerigney Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is great!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Waffle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It would be very nice to be able to change the frame independently of the artwork in our homes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pascale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I haven't noticed any bugs, since I first started using the new house, other than the background view shift when I first arrive. To my knowledge, the only other person who can enter my new home is the one person I have given a key to in the main game. Other visitors have had to knock. Like others, I would love to have my glitch sit down on chairs and sofas, but even better would be having my glitch lie down in his Rook's Nest bed when I'm ready to sign out. My sign out rating had been consistently at 4 but this new functionality has me enthusiastically giving the game a 5 rating. I can't wait until you do something to get me up to 'Yes Yes Yes'.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xocd Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Attics are just a preview to the floor above. If you notice in the end of the video, you can see the multiple floored houses which seem to take place of the "attic". And, I assume if you don't upgrade to the max point, you might be able to keep an "attic". :D 
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ug - I have a show every weekend in March and no time to play.  On the other hand, I'm sure you'll have it all figured out by the time I stumble back in.

<3
    Posted 12 years ago by ArtOfHands RoboGirl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So, in other words, no staff have said that the attic will be going away.
  • I'm sure this has been said ...but the hinge on my backdoor frame would like its door back.

Stoot: My new house would also like to remind you of a long running recommendation/request.. (cough) *going on a year* ... 
    HOT TUBS!

I'll even invite you over for the first Nekkid Hot Tub Party in Glitch!  :P
    Posted 12 years ago by Dagnabbit Rabbit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can assume  that staff said that the attic isn't going away, not sure if or why they would.

It was never really an attic to begin with, just something we labelled as an attic. So no worries about it going away, etc. The reason why they fixed the bug, was probably for game-play reasons as Saucelah said.

It all depends on how many floors you want to expand vertically. If there's max of ten, then just make nine, and you'll have your own "attic" aka the preview to the 10th floor. I do hope though, if we are the first one's to figure out about the attic, that we will be able to remove a floor (which could be an unnecessary idea).

Edit: So to clarify - Another room was added, we can't fully see it, probably because we aren't able to upgrade it. Since we can't fully see it, and it is above the highest floor (or the only floor, the first floor), it looks like a small space that most of us agreed to call an "attic". IF it really was a temporary attic, then it would make sense if it would lock objects, etc, to it - whether purposely hard to do or not, and maybe that would replace a cabinet (ineffectively for some reasons). Other than that, is just acts like another floor. This is how it appears from from the video stoot linked and it should hopefully make sense.

There might be some coincidence or inspiration from Cottages, tho. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't care if I can go into my attic or not, I just like it for storage. I like the way it looks. You, of course, can assume whatever you want. I think I'll assume, until I hear otherwise from staff, that they wouldn't have made an attic if they only planned to take it away.
  • This is a wonderful improvement. I love the creative designs for all the furnture. One comment, why isn't is interactive? For example there is a wonderful shell bed, but I can't do anything but look at it. I can't jump on it, rest on it or anything. Why have all the awesome furniture if you can't do anything with it?
    Posted 12 years ago by Enoreh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Apologies if somebody else has already mentioned this (I read the first 5 and last 2 pages, but wow!), but the rug behavior is weird -- that is, it wants to be *under* my couch (completely), rather than in front of it, where I might dangle my Glitchy-twitchy toes...  I guess I'm asking whether all of these things really need to have snap-to-grid like behavior.
    Posted 12 years ago by confowsled Subscriber! | Permalink
  • tiny bug: I have a shelf underneath a wall painting. Stuff I put on the shelf hides behind the wall painting. Here is a screencap of a chicken hiding back there: http://imgur.com/guW1p
    Posted 12 years ago by Lettuce Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glum I agree my wee rock looks so sad..I would love to see him learning again, its been months since he had a book to read.. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hey y'all! I noticed that the floor decorations will no longer let you place them on the furthest layer back, even though you can place every other item up against the wall. Is this a bug?Posted 2 days ago by heartNadia | Permalink

I noticed this too..I moved some of my decorations to redo my house and now I cant put them back to where I liked them.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Cryztal Subscriber! | Permalink
  • QUESTION! Will the street outside of our new house be "public"/ What I mean to say is, will anyone and everyone have access to things we place there??? Thanks.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fstra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm finding that the order of placed inventory items is not always static - each time the house reloads different things end up in front.   I'd love to be able to create layered displays of items, but if the big thing that's supposed to be at the back keeps ending up in front, then there's no real point in trying.  It feels like I'm supposed to be able to determine placement and set the order of layers from the UI, especially since it is the same mechanism as the placement of decorations, which do seem to have stable layering for the most part.
    Posted 12 years ago by Scarlett Bearsdale Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Quick question: Is it possible to get a description (the name) of the swatches via mouseover or something? I think right now we can only see the names when we "try them on" before we "buy" them for the first time. Does that make sense at all? And am I missing something?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lilleh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • small bug (maybe) - When placing cubimals on a shelf, the third one placed goes behind the others instead of in front or to the side like we were trying to place it (we being, me and my 7 year old who I was giving free reign to decorate my abode >_>)...

Edit - Not a shelf sorry, like a small side table thingy.  We only tried one table, this might not happen on others.  :>
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I, like Fstra, would also like to understand the "front yard" better.  Example, my house has a metal rock, a wood tree and a patch.  Could just anyone come in and poison the trees, or pick up any stuff I have in the front yard? 

Secondly, will everyone have the same house, with the same resources, etc., or will there be a way to decide which trees or resources we'd like to have?  What about space for critters? 
    Posted 12 years ago by DevaDuckling Subscriber! | Permalink
  • DevaDuckling, yes, anyone can come by and poison the trees in your front yard. Most items are pick-up-able too, there. (Blockmakers and icons are safe, at least. But icons can still be used.)

You will be able to customize the type of house, the resources, and trees. And size/space.
    Posted 12 years ago by Millie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Lilleh A dev has said that's a good idea, but idk if that's coming or not.
  • Oh awesome, thanks Millie! Wasn't sure if I missed something. :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Lilleh Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I love the new housing. Really fun and I'm just having the best time, but where's my cabby? lol I have to resort to putting things in the 'attic.'

Thanks TS!  :D
    Posted 12 years ago by SoyChai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One question. When can we expect to see the full release of housing? This month? next month?
    Posted 12 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ERROR: I was in Ajaya Bliss, then I typed /home to go to the test house.  When I returned to the world, I got TPed to Subarna Spells!
    W-E-I-R-D.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sweetie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Sweetie: For areas you can't teleport to or make TP scripts for (like Ajaya Bliss, and other hard-to-reach/secret places), it won't allow you to return there after going /home... I'm pretty sure it's on purpose?
    Posted 12 years ago by Bradamus Prime Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Furniture feedback:  I would like furniture to have the option of turning back to the plain original style.  I upgraded all the rugs in my inventory, then realized I wanted the plain tan the rug first came in but I'm unable to un-upgrade the item.  I wouldn't expect a refund if I choose a cheaper style after upgrading, but perhaps the plain original style could become another option when upgrading the furniture.  It would also be nice for furniture to have a few color choices, like I click on the furniture and could choose to "upgrade style" or "upgrade color."  It'd be another way for us to spend credits at least, and would take less effort to implement than adding styles!  (Hope this hasn't been said; I didn't read all the posts here).
    Posted 12 years ago by SallySomeone Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @koolaroo Not for a long time. See this post, this post, and this post.
  • BUG? QUESTION; Anyone else having problems with the veg and herb plots? I can point and click no problem but it takes me walking past several times to be able to keyboard them.

SUGGESTION: Would love to be able to 'arrange' furniture a little more - I think everything looks a little lined up along back wall now despite trying various arrangements etc.
    Posted 12 years ago by Adina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1000 your suggestion Adina.. I was just thinking the same thing
    Posted 12 years ago by Clickadee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SallySomeone wroteFurniture feedback:  I would like furniture to have the option of turning back to the plain original style.  I upgraded all the rugs in my inventory, then realized I wanted the plain tan the rug first came in but I'm unable to un-upgrade the item.  I wouldn't expect a refund if I choose a cheaper style after upgrading, but perhaps the plain original style could become another option when upgrading the furniture. 

I'd like to be able to go back to the original flooring as an option as well.

Does it bother anyone else that the door is rounded at the edges from the exterior but fully rectangular on the inside? I guess/hope we will get to craft our own doors later.

I love playing with all the options and hope I am correctly envisioning how this will all work in the future. My friends will be able to craft much more than I, but perhaps I can buy from them and upgrade the basic pieces they create??
    Posted 12 years ago by JW Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I find it weird that clicking anywhere on your house while in your street makes you enter it, even though the only thing that lights up is your door when you hover over it. I guess the old houses are that way too, but I never noticed til just now. Makes clicking on butterflies in front of your house really annoying.
    Posted 12 years ago by MX Ghostie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @ MX Ghostie, Try using the sticks.. I have one of each stick and 5 of each beastie.  Butterfly stick to the left of my street sign, Piggy stick between the 2 trees and Chicken stick on the right.  I had the chicken stick by my street sign at first but the chickens kept getting in the way when I tried to mine. The butterflies won't get in the way when you mine your rock.  Also, roving Glitches cannot take or move your sticks and the sticks will keep the beasties away from your front door.
    Posted 12 years ago by Princess Fi Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19