Topic

So I am basically a neuron with a mission?

I want to understand the premise of this game, so let me know if I have this wrong:

I have gone back in time to create an impact on the mental doings of 11 giants, entering their dreams/thoughts and thereby affecting them with my actions and what I build in the game. And the cumulative impact of all the players will determine how the world turns out this time; hopefully this time we will squeeze enough chickens to keep disemprobablization from even being conceived of by whichever giant had the temerity to do so.

So is there some kind of disemprobablization algorithm running too? Are we like the players of NobyNobyBoy, trying to get to Mars through our collective efforts?

Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• yeah, ok so fine if no one wants to answer the question, but can I at least delete this post then? It makes me sad to see it hanging out here all alone. :p
  • i haven't thought about it in terms of neurons, but i like the idea of going into the past to save the present.

it fits very well into the contemporary political landscape. both liberal and conservative rhetoric involves a lot of paleo-social revisionism about how we need to "get back" to a more wholesome/sustainable past in order to find salvation in the face of cataclysm.

i think it is hilarious that the point of glitch is to *literally* do that, especially in a social world-building game. it's possibly genius, and at the very least it has a delightfully swiftian quality.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • tho sometimes i worry a bit about the seemingly satirical angle of the game's premise.

coz i wonder if the joke is on us, the players.

and if so i wonder if it is a cruel joke or a friendly one.

but then i remind myself that even if it is a bit of a cruel joke at our expense [possibly literally, once we start playing for the game in various ways] it would at least be a cruel joke that is capable of provoking some thought. if that's the worst case scenario, i think it's a good one.
  • I'd imagine it's just something to entertain new players, quickly forgotten.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i'd imagine it's a cool piece of art and storyline that took time to imagine and create, and should be relished instead of cast aside like a disposable cup.
  • Really? That's too bad:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noby_...

As players progress individually in the game, they can submit their progress to an aggregate measure (an NPC called GIRL), and she travels further in space, the goal being to get to Mars. "Points submitted online by players to Girl will be added cumulatively, causing Girl to stretch and unlock new levels."

It is far and away the coolest thing about playing NNB (although eating a strawberry and a man and then pooping out a strawberry-headed man is an experience not to be missed).

A game set in one universe with a premise that puts the players on a massive universe saving mission? If it doesn't, it just seems like it should somehow combine the efforts of the players in a manner like NNB. I mean...it would be so *neato*.
  • No art *should* be relished. When I start a game, I rush thru the intro to get to the game. I might even read a couple rules. I doubt there will be an ultimate mission, cuz once it's completed, then what? Gilligan isn't gonna get off the island (until the reunion show.) Battlestar Galactica isn't gonna find Earth (until ratings dive.) It can be used a point of reference for things in the game.
  • Thank you gentlemen for answering my question, I appreciate it.

@Tingly: I don't know why, but for some reason when I read your last post, the word "foreplay" popped into my head. And...I see your point. But-

I still like the idea...we could both happily play that game, with you ignoring the premise while the disemprobablizationometer ticks away somewhere and me submitting my progress (or knowing it's being recorded) every time I play.
  • "No art *should* be relished."

wha? so art should be willfully ignored? that reminds me of a tourist family rushing through the Louvre as quickly as possible, barely looking at anything, just so they can say they completed it. in order to "win" at tourism or something.

obviously the intro had some effort and thought in it, and helps put the game into perspective. it's fun to discuss this perspective and rethink some of the game elements through its lens.
  • "No art *should* be relished" doesn't mean "art should be willfully ignored."

Kingdom of Loathing has an individual endgame where you can continue with your own sidegoals or be reborn and eventually recover most things from your past lives. It doesn't really fit Glitch, though.
  • You might notice that when you donate to a shrine, it increases your favor with the giant to which the shrine is dedicated. You are not currently shown this, but it also increases that giants power of imagination.

To a certain extent, one should imagine oneself gently guiding the giants and shifting the balance between them to keep the world in order and growing properly. The little homunculi inside the head, steering the giant to imagine better and better.

And there will be opponents which knock things off balance and take advantage of giants who become weak and vulnerable. Later, you will encounter The Rook.
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Alrighty then, that is what I am talking about. I just think it makes the gameplay more meaningful.
  • so there definitely is an ultimate mission of a kind. it's just ongoing, that's all.

correct me if i'm not understanding, but by paying tribute to a particular giant, it expands that god's imagination/domain/realm? kind of like giving the players a say in which level types and artwork are more prominent? paying tribute to certain giants and not to others will change the way that the game's landscape develops and grows over time?
  • Oooh, that's interesting. I may have to choose a giant to support and become a priestess.
    Posted 14 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hmm, and to think I was only donating to shrines to up my XP.

I may have to see the Giant's backstories before I choose one... this could get interesting.

Personally FrankenPaula... you choose Priestess, I'm going for Goddess!
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just kept donating in hopes of currying favours and also getting rid of things. Eggs are quite good to donate, I noticed.

I like the idea of becoming a priestess. :D
    Posted 14 years ago by Sweet Sadie Wren Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *makes a note about the eggs*

:-)