Topic

gardening feedback

Gardening was the first talent thing I tried. It seems really fun, I like the idea of doing something that helps make the world look nicer for everyone that isn't competitive really, but social.

I don't know how it will develop, but right now the talent progression seems a little rigid. Each talent you get a quest using that talent that gives tons of XP. You can't really deviate from the path though, until you get Botany you are really only making components for when you do get it, that don't have any real intrinsic value. Maybe when there is an auction house or store this will be more useful. Maybe one of the low level items in each tree could be "toy" type things you can make, that are sort of fun and related to the specialization you picked.

One problem I noticed, if you decide to skip a gardening talent before botany, the quest you get at botany will be very difficult, requiring you to have components you don't necessarily have the skills to make. Maybe all 4 of the sub talents should be a prerequisite for botany?

Anyway, super fun. I know I should try and test the other trees, but the concept behind gardening in this game might make me stay. :)

Posted 14 years ago by cohesion Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Welcome! And thanks for the feedback.

We agree that there's a lot of massaging we have to do to get that aspect of it working right: none of the branches of the skill tree are smooth and easy yet. We're still at the point where we're adding things as fast as we can (and sometimes a little out of order) so that we can balance it all once all the pieces are in place. For example, we're working on mining, meditation and alchemy branches now (bits of which were tested for the first time today).

Over the next few months as we work our way to beta it will change a lot (sometimes probably quite radically). And observations like this help, so thanks!
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I did notice that because I skipped spice milling and went straight to botany, I was stuck petting and watering trees and donating to shrines in order to level up (myles followed me for a time and can attest to how mind-numbingly boring this is).
    I understand that when the game is bigger I will have more to do, so ignore me if this wasn't pertinent in the grand scheme of things.
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes, I had the same problem as spatula. I got stuck with three quests I couldn't perform (why would the game give me a butterfly milking quest when I spent all my skill points in the gardening sector and I didn't have any animal skill points?) and then, what do you do? I got totally stuck and eventually left the game in frustration. This bummed me out. :(
    Posted 14 years ago by Mackenzie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I skipped gasmogrification and bubble tuning and got botany, and had a rather hard time with the bean making quest, and then I ran into the same issue with the butterfly milking.

The snocone quest was brutal on the currents- I'd bought a house, and had already harvested just about every tree ever, so I got stuck for a while with no currents, and no ingredients available to make things to sell. I ended up getting frustrated of wandering around picking things off the ground so I sold my house again to complete the quest :(
    Posted 14 years ago by fluorescence Subscriber! | Permalink