Topic

Social chat and helping others

This was a lot better for me this time. I got 'stuck' in the ground when I came back from the rainbow run. I said 'help' and someone came and said "follow me" which was awesome. I was later able to tell someone else the same but he was actually enjoying being semi-underground and said he was "hiding in the bushes" and some amusing chat developed with a few others around that.

Also, someone asked for hard bubbles and got some and someone borrowed my moon to moon a few people. then brought it back. We then had a chat about the zero merit of splanking.

Also chatted with someone else about the frustration at not being able to get unhappy enough to drink the 12 beers. That was all very cool and I liked the interaction rather than just flying about.

Curious though about if 'trolls' come in and any thoughts on control of them.
1. an ignore option so you can't hear a person if they tend to be rude or stupid.
2. everyone able to rate each person once, so really frustrating people who have low rating from lots of others may end up blocked? (although that could be used in a bullying way I suppose...)

Posted 14 years ago by onelittlebird Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• You raise a good point, there will be trolls. I guess 1 would be the simplest option.

What might also be good is the thing they do on world of loathing, they make you undertake a "litteracy quest" before you can post. I forget the details but you have to listen to somebody tell you the rules and then click that you've read each one and answer a simple grammar question.
    Posted 14 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Adding an extra chat channel (help, which effectively was used as global chat) exponentially complicated matters for my eyeballs. I got an IM but I didn't even notice it for a while, maybe it needs a special visual/auditory indicator?

Local chat was largely filled with the postings of people coming and going, which also detracted from when someone was actually speaking to me. And the speech balloons..great, but my eyeballs were usually whizzing up and down on the right hand side.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would have an ignore, but nothing more complicated until you know what (if anything) you need. Let the community decide that organically.
    Posted 14 years ago by cohesion Subscriber! | Permalink
  • local chat should lose the record of comings and goings. that stuff is appearing top left anyway in growl like notifications.

maybe there could be a toggle or "local activity" panel that could be opened when you need to verify something you thought you saw in the growl type notifications, but that wouldn't normally clobber the local chat.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Resizable chat windows are coming, which should help.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I suggest a "global chat window" with either

1 - highlight for local players (symbol or different color)
    2 - toggle/filter that shows "all players" or only "local players" conversation

or both. This way you know who is near you.

too confusing ? :) conversations may mix ? You will always have a single chat window with user / group

Alternative : tabbed local/global/user/group chat /activity windows
    Posted 14 years ago by .gatto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like tabbed where the tab indicates activity. I'll easily take that over resizable windows.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink