Topic

Skills queue

How about allowing the player to queue skills to learn, so that the player can focus on the rest of the game?

Posted 13 years ago by Linus Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

Previous 1 2 3
  • That would only work if we couldn't learn while offline. If we had both, then someone could just queue up all the skills, wait a week, and come back and know everything. (well, not really, but you get the point.)
    Posted 13 years ago by Cainunable Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But even then, you could potentially queue up the whole skill tree, go and sit in your house and leave the game running in the background. Voila, a few days later you've maxed out. I think it's better to reward players who are actually active in the game. And, really, how much time does clicking on a new skill take?

(though I would like it if all the extra bits — skills, auctions, realty, gardening — were in the game client rather than on a separate web page)
    Posted 13 years ago by wurzel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Is this counteracted by needing to Spend Emblems and earn specific Achievements with items before a skill is opened up? Skill queueing seems best for early skills, when the time committments are shorter than 3+ hours. Once you get up to 3/4+-hour tasks, queuing doesn't mean too much given the quests and achievements you have to do first.
    Posted 13 years ago by tiff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A skill selection feature in a mobile app would be nice, assuming they or someone would build such a thing - say if the API has the ability to choose new skills.
    Posted 13 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "A skill selection feature in a mobile app would be nice"

was thinking same. Also if there were ever recipes or crafting items that take a long time to generate that would be good to do via a mobile app.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • api.alpha.glitch.com/

"/simple/skills.listAll
    Return a paginated list of all skills. This data should be cached.
    page (optional, default 1) - The page of results to return.
    per_page (optional, default 10) - Number of results to return per page.
    /simple/skills.listAvailable
    Return a list of skills that the authenticated player can learn next.
    /simple/skills.listLearned
    Return a list of skills that the authenticated player had learned.
    /simple/skills.listLearning
    Return the authenticated player's currently-training skill, if any, and when it is currently scheduled to finish.
    /simple/skills.learn
    Start learning a new skill for the authenticated player."

so, can already be accomplished using the api.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've been messing around a bit with the API and was able to schedule/queue skills in the last weekend test.

I'm working on a greasemonkey script (maybe also Chrome extension when it's done) 'cos it's the only way to access the API programmatically since ClientIDs are not being issued at the moment

Less than half way done but here's a sneak screenie: imgur.com/t9sgI/
    Posted 13 years ago by ping Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Posted 13 years ago by Herp Derp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Ping fan.
    Posted 13 years ago by Alexis Hex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • III.
    2. If a skill in queue cannot be learnt for whatever reason, it will gum up the queue. Please remove that skill from queue to fix this.

----------------------------------------------

If all that has not discouraged you, you can install/view this script from:
    glitch.li-ping.com/greasemo...

For error reporting, it will help me a ton if you have Firebug installed or know how to access the FF error console.

* I'm kidding. But I take no responsibility for anything bad that may happen with the use of this script.
  • HOLY PING PING
    Posted 13 years ago by EgIantine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ping: You should make that Youtube video unlisted...

Woah, so using that, we can learn skills even when Glitch is closed? :D Shame I can't be bothered to download Firefox.
    Posted 13 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The video is already unlisted.
    And no, you can't learn skills when the game is closed. The screencast was a "simulated" version (I tweaked the code to simulate the game being opened, hence the light testing caveat).

Chrome is my primary browser, so a Chrome extension version is definitely on its way...
  • And now for Chrome: glitch.li-ping.com/chrome/g...
  • Will try out the Chrome version. Thanks ping. I've set up my queue already - will it kick in as soon as the game opens or do I have to submit the first skill myself?
    Posted 13 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This looks quite awesome, oh cupcake ping! I can't wait to try it out.
  • Trying it now! (wooot)
  • @bluto: When the game is opened, all you need to do is to open up alpha.glitch.com in Chrome. The extension will submit the first skill in queue automatically. Please note that alpha.glitch.com has to stay open in one of your browser tabs for it to work.

@Nanookie: lol
  • How does on add skills to the queue in Chrome?
    Posted 13 years ago by Houdini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • On the main page. You should see a plus button. Have a look at the youtube video above.
  • Awesome, thanks.
  • How would you use the API? For instance, how would you run Striatic's script?
  • @Houdini: Um what?
  • OK, just realized that what striatic had there was a list, not a script. Sorry. What I mean, is, basically, how did you do this?
  • It's just javascript calling the api through your Glitch session in the browser.
  • Fixed a bunch of stuff in test earlier, so please update/re-install the Chrome extension / FF GM script from the same links as before.

Current version: 0.1.4
  • Oh OK, thanks.
  • [Redacted due to double post]
  • Houdini, with Chrome open, just click the link and say ok to install when Chrome gives you a warning message (bottom of yer browser). Then re-load the Home page, you should see the Skills Queuer on the page near the top. Then it's pretty obvious from there.

Haven't tried FF yet.
  • Yeah, I knew how to install it, I was asking how you would use the API. Thanks anyway, though! :D
  • derp.
  • You rang?
    Posted 13 years ago by Herp Derp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Info/updates will now be consolidated here: bit.ly/gqueue

burp.
  • Great work ping
    Posted 13 years ago by mathy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can I install this and start organising my learn skills now or once the game is open. I understand I need to keep game open for it to start and keep learning.
    Sounds like a fab idea though Ping :)

Edit, re asked my question, as even I did not understand my self lol

Edit to edit. I down loaded it and even I can figure it out, truly that's saying something. Can't wait to actually use it. All setup and ready to go :) ......drums fingers.....waiting ....waiting... :)

@Ping Glitch need to employ you :) Thanks for making this.
    Posted 13 years ago by Misha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well done! I'm thoroughly impressed.

Rather than getting a list of learnable skills, why get the list of all skills and the list of learned skills, and then list the relative complement of learned skills in all skills (i.e. the list of all non-learned skills)? That way, the user could select any combination of skills, even ones that aren't available yet. If someone makes a mistake, it's their own problem.
    Posted 13 years ago by RobotGymnast Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've played around with the script a little, and I've made a few modifications, which I believe work without any negative side-effects:
    -Users can now queue ANY skill, not just available ones.
    -If the queue moves on to try and learn a skill which isn't yet available, it's just removed from the queue and it moves on to the next skill.

Note: For skills in your queue which you can't yet learn, the time remaining shown is the "base" time remaining, i.e. the time unaffected by Better Learning cuts, etc. When the skill becomes learnable, the correct time is displayed.

Dev info:
    -GlitchQueue now caches internally the list of all skills, as well as the list of all available skills. When creating the list from which users can select a skill, it displays the list of all skills.
    -When displaying time remaining, it displays total_time for an unavailable skill, and time_remaining for an available one.
    -When trying to a learn a skill, it first makes sure it's available, and if not, removes it from the queue.

My not-very-tested copy is here: pastebin.com/A9Mb5mP4
    Thoughts, Ping or anybody else? I hope you'll incorporate my changes into your "official" script.
    Posted 13 years ago by RobotGymnast Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i love this thing
    Posted 13 years ago by IxÆoN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can you modify the Chrome toolbar button to show whether or not the game is open? Red for game closed, green for game open?
    Posted 13 years ago by Double Rainbow Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It stopped working,I uninstalled, reinstalled and it will not accept the script. When i click to install script a new tab in Firefox 4 opens with the text. What do I need to do?...Nevermind...it is working again and I don't know why
    Posted 13 years ago by PurpleLogic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As of this last test it no longer updates for me. The app is there. Greasemonkey is working (use it elsewhere). But no more pings/polls. and no more "game is disabled". Am happy to un-/re-install but do not know how.

What to do?

PS, I have a lot of error messages that say something about "width". Make any sense?
    Posted 13 years ago by Lellie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It looks like the FF Greasemonkey version is the problem. I don't use FF much now these days but I can take a stab at this.

@Lellie Do you know what version of Firefox you are using? Can you also make sure you have the latest version for Firefox at http://bit.ly/gqueue ? You reinstall/update just the same way you installed it the first time.
  • @ping, thank you for getting back.  I re-installed FF (4.0) and created a new profile I even installed Chrome.  Both gave me same results = no red "game is disabled", so I presumed it had gone wonky.  However, thinking about it, does it make any difference that I am currently learning a skill?  It is a long one I started just before the last test closed and it has many hours to go yet.
    The "width" error concerns alpha.glitch.com and not your script, which both FF and Chrome report as working just fine:-)
    I will report back when the current skill has been learned.

All is well .. now that I have finished learning my skill, the red "game is disabled" is back, how nice, I can go to sleep now even if the game is open.
    Posted 13 years ago by Lellie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It probably isn't working for folks because the game's URL changed to BETA.glitch.com instead of ALPHA.glitch.com. I went through my copy of the script and did a find/replace to change the URL to beta and it seems to work again. Well, I get the red "game is disabled" message again at least.
    Posted 13 years ago by Shwan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was working last test for me, but it's not working at the moment. I assumed it was because of the move to the beta website, and like Shawn I did a find/replace to change alpha to beta. My edited copy of the script isn't working though. /:  I don't really know what I'm doing here so I may be screwing it up somehow.
    Posted 13 years ago by Amy Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I pushed out a fix for the url change for beta.

Chrome folks should just have to click on the "Update extensions now" on chrome://extensions/ to get the new 0.1.7 version. If that doesn't work, please reinstall again from http://bit.ly/gqueue . 

FF/GM folks, please remove the old GM script (go to Add-ons, User Scripts), restart FF and then install the new version from http://bit.ly/gqueue again.
  • It's working for me now. Or at least, it let me add skills. We'll see what happens when the game opens. Thanks a billion ping! You are a hero to those of us who have to abandon our computers to go to real jobs during the day. Hugs & kisses!
    Posted 13 years ago by Essie Kitten Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Ping tyvm !
    Posted 13 years ago by welshcorgi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not working here on the PC - will try the Mac later when I get home.  This sounds awesome, and since it is the only thing I can do at home (learn skills), this will be wonderful for me if I get it working.
    Posted 13 years ago by riscy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am using FF4.  I uninstalled the old script and installed the "new" which doesn't work for me.  I noticed that the URLs for it are all "alpha", not "beta".  I'd love to have this work for me.  Before they changed the URL, it installed properly but I never got to try it because of the URL change.  Thanks for this script, I hope to have it working "soon".
    Posted 13 years ago by Brib Annie Subscriber! | Permalink
Previous 1 2 3