Topic

Is it just me or has there been alot of lag lately?

Is it just me or has there been alot of lag lately?

Posted 12 years ago by WhereIsTheCandy Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 Next
  • Biff explained it exactly and for these reasons I have barely been playing. Glitch is no longer fun, just a frustration I avoid. 
    Posted 12 years ago by PurpleLogic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I take no satisfaction in seeing what I predicted almost 3 months ago when I really started to take notice of the performance degradation in Glitch. As a enthusiast and follower of all things video games and my experience and observations with past internet games and services, you could have the funnest, immersive, engaging game on the internet...  at the end of the day to the end user, if they have to jump through performance and stability issue hoops to get to that fun, your going to have a hard time getting people on board.

The performance issues are the NUMBER one issue....

While I may have minor experience with Flash Animation and coding, I do know the how memory and resource management is done in computing....

Glitch, in its current form, is the only Flash Browser-based game that manages easily reach over 1 GB in memory that I know of

However the memory isn't THE ISSUE its more of a side effect of the main issue and that is, the game engine doesn't appear to do any proper loading and unloading of resources.... (As in when I leave my home street to a public empty street the resources from my home street are still running in the background)

If this is something that is can't be fixed without completely rewriting core systems, so be it, but the more things that piled onto the janky core systems the harder it will be to fix the major issues without breaking everything else... (I can't think of any but somewhere, there is an analogy that is a lot easier to understand than my frustration fueled paragraph)

To add a little humor to this post here is a light-humored analogy
    Surviving the performance issues in glitch is a lot like surviving a bear attack, the more you move and do actions the worse it gets, keeping movement and actions to a minimum you can run glitch for hours without seeing any jarring drops in performance..
    Posted 12 years ago by Kamer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ha, so you think it's one unloading problem too^^

Maybe someone will be able to answer me,
    In the Q+P console what does the second number means for memory?
    For example, the fps were a lot better with 450/500 than with 450/800

The first number seems to go up and down, while I "suppose" stuff gets unloaded,
    but why does the "total/allocated"? number only goes up during a session?
    Posted 12 years ago by Lemo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The degradation over time is one aspect, but not the only issue. For me, the periodic lockups are more annoying. I'll see times when selecting an item in the world just spins for 5s or more. Sometimes canceling and re-selecting fixes it and sometimes not.

I suspect this is due to insufficient network servers and/or routing problems. (God told us they were having load balancer problems yesterday, but this problem isn't limited to yesterday by any means.) Please TS, try bringing more API servers up and/or increasing the resources on the ones you currently have running.

At any rate, I suggest avoiding "twitch gaming" type quests and race games until they make some major improvements in performance consistency (I gave up on things like races and the Smuggler quest a while ago).
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well for me, the past few days (about 3 now) have been filled with disconnects and reconnects, waiting forever for menus, watching my text take forever when I type it into a chat box.

Today it hit a new low. I can only connect to a certain number of servers and when I do, the ms is sky high (13k is the highest so far). Everything else checks out except connecting to the servers (and the CDN is pretty high too sometimes) and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my ISP on strike (AT&T) or Glitch is just being extra Glitchy with me. I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox and IE, it's all the same. I even start my sessions with cleared cache, so I know that's not the problem.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have no idea what alot of this stuff means but I also experience performance issues the longer I play.  Usually have to reload after visiting 5-10 streets.  Movements become very jerky, glitch response compared to keyboard or mouse clicks is terrible.  I used to be a pro smuggler but have failed the past 5 missions because my glitch doesn't jump when i hit spacebar or gets stuck running in one direction.  Anyway I pressed Q & P and this is what I get:
    No Keys down
    Render FPS averages about 5/30
    Physics FPS 59/60
    Mem 730/735
    Ping 179

Is use windows 7, firefox 14.0.1
    adobe flash version 11.2.202.233 (because the newest flash is even worse with crashing)
    The newest upgrade locations were hard due to the slow reaction response from my glitch.

I know exactly what Puprlelogic is talking about (the "other" game & lag) and it is very frustrating.  I mentioned months ago before the big reset that I was concerned that a large influx of players would cause performance issues, however it seems less a problem with players and maybe more so with content?  (since the issues have gotten worse over the last month or 2 and new players were only just let in last week-ish)
    Just my 2 cents :)
    Posted 12 years ago by Gadzooks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have the "choppiest" "sluggiest" home in Ur (multiple other glitches' words).  I think I'll now avoid it.  Any possibility of tool vendors selling tents?  Or would that be a toy vendor?
    Posted 12 years ago by Rennie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Maybe a shed in the back?

Actually, compressing the house into a functional bag would be awesome.  Most of the time when I go home, I just want to get stuff or put stuff away.  If I could add and remove things from their respective SDBs without having to return to my home street, it'd go a long way towards keeping the lagbeast at bay.
    Posted 12 years ago by Biff Beefbat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I dread returning to my /home. It's just not worth the frustration anymore for me, having to try and organize my play around avoiding my house as much as possible.
    Posted 12 years ago by N2ZOrtolanaBlue Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch has been really lagging for me the last few days I mostly use IE.
    Posted 12 years ago by koolaroo Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 Next