Topic

Energy and Food & Meditation Limits

Last night, quite a few of us found ourselves bumping up against the limits of how much food you can eat or how many meditations you can perform to restore energy. I'm not sure what the intention of the new limits are, but shouldn't it not really keep you from playing the game unless you do something silly like stuff yourself needlessly? I think it could be a bit of a turn off for new players to find themselves unable to play because of something like this.

Posted 13 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Agreed, although it didn't really affect me for large chunks of time, but I did find myself bumping up against that limit a couple of times. I guess it just needs to be monitored and tuned a little bit maybe? Quite handily, when I was stuck, the day rolled around and reset my energy etc. which seemed to be most opportune...
    Posted 13 years ago by RealJimBob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, it felt pretty off-putting to me. There was no warning of getting close to the limit. A warning would have made it somewhat more stomach-able. All the sudden I became unable to get quoins for the rest of the day, and later lost the ability to meditate while speed mining. There was also no decent explanation of when this limit would reset.

I do understand that some players might take some things overboard or find a bug or design flaw which allows them to get an abundance of quoins. I understand that there needs to be some sort of protection to prevent one player from ruining the game for others, but day-long artificial limits will definitely turn off players with a hardcore play style.
    Posted 13 years ago by Brady Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, this was disconcerting at first, but with some warning and transparency of how this works, I don't actually think this is a huge problem, plus I think it makes the game more strategically interesting and less grind-y, which is a good thing.

The quoin limit I think will be nice once there's a mass of new players, as running around quoin-farming is just too easy to do otherwise -- although some sort of narrative explanation for why this limit exists would be ideal.
    Posted 13 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps the limits are to prepare for a zynga like system where you can only play a little bit at a time and buy more energy (with real money) if you want to keep playing?
    Posted 13 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh thats true. although I'd rather pay a monthly subscription than pay more money each time i ran out of energy.
  • Prayers to the giants that they're not going to make us pay, that's not really something I want.
    Posted 13 years ago by Sweet Sadie Wren Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, let's hope that tiny speck never does anything that could be called "zynga like" except for maybe achieving great fortune and fame ;)
    Posted 13 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They are going to need to make some money somehow though - the hosting costs alone must be ridiculous.
  • I'm not sure we can say that the limits on food consumption exactly snuck up on anybody, I recall several warnings while eating along the lines of feeling full, or satiated or something and a warning that I wouldn't be able to eat much more. I think the balance seemed pretty much okay at the moment (based on my experience yesterday) - especially once you work out all the other ways to top up energy - but having lots of players sitting around just chatting for long periods isn't exactly going to keep them playing...
  • Maybe I spoke too soon - currently stuck in a 2 hour waiting pattern until I can eat/meditate again....
  • the devs have stated that the limits are in place because they force players to make choices about how they use their energy.

i think this maybe isn't the best way to accomplish that end, but it certainly prevents finding a juicy energy cycle and infini-grinding 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

instead you need to ration your energy in order to maximize each day.

this takes skill.

for example you can attempt to finish the day with 0 energy to get the most out of the new day energy re-fill.

you can time a level up for the middle of the day after your first energy drain, ince that also re-fills your energy.

you can use meditation and quoins and emblems to gain energy without it counting against your tummy limit.

you can do all your item purchasing at the end of the game day, when your energy is low and waiting for re-fill, rather than wasting time buying stuff while you have energy you could be using.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink