Topic

Beginning of game too hard?

I am venturing out of my bug(forum)-cave to make a comment. The game is quite fun at the upper levels once a lot of skills have been unlocked, but the beginning seems tedious. Also, there is a certain order that makes the skills flow in order, but if you have not played before, or have not been through the early skill map recently, it is hard to know what this order is.

Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• it would also be good to explain that you need other skills
    Posted 13 years ago by Ani Laurel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I kind of like that you have to poke around to figure out that you need other skills for things, need other items to make items (needing a spice grinder/bubble tuner/fruit changer to make items needed to season beans, for instance). I think that part of the cuteness of the game is that you figure out things for yourself. Maybe I am more intuitive in my play than others... but I'm horribly uncoordinated, so I do appreciate that I don't have to be especially gifted in keystroking.

I didn't find the game to be too hard -- and, surprisingly, I DIDN'T think that the tutorial "Magic Rock" was *too* paper-clip-esque. He was humorous, he guided, etc.

Good starting point, IMHO.
    Posted 13 years ago by Andi Handipants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think the opening of the game needs more thought generally, and a bit more story.

like, NPCs other than the rock would help give the game more depth in it's opening moments.

I think the Zelda games have the very best openings/tutorial sections. a good place to look for inspiration.

might even help to give each player a "starting village" populated by peole who get xp, skill, currant awards for befriending and helping Newbs.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I could also see that "starting village" idea going very badly too...the incentive for those awards might turn into laziness and general unhelpfulness for newbies, and instead just showing them the shortcuts to get rich faster.
    Posted 13 years ago by Thursday Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I enjoyed the whole aspect of learning through experimentation - you certainly get a greater sense of accomplishment when something happens - expected or not.
    Posted 13 years ago by Yeoman Subscriber! | Permalink