Topic

Differently abled

I have a disability that effects my hands as does my daughter. Altho we love this game I have to say its really frustrating getting stuck in a training place. I am slower than most but do eventually learn how to do a task. But not being able to leave and do something else when I get frustrated is really making the game hard.
I spent some time trying to learn to jump high then just gave up, during this last test. I know i will get it eventually, but it would have kept me in the game if I could have gone and done something else for a while.

I hope this does not sound like a whine really just trying to give another perspective.

Posted 13 years ago by SassafrasTea Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• bumping this to keep it up top.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are there games / services online that you find have a really good or usable interface / user experience? Anything the Glitch team could emulate?
    Posted 13 years ago by charliepark Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps add joystick compatibility? That would make it a lot easier for him it sounds like.
    Posted 13 years ago by Austang Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My disability is joint, nerve and muscle related. I tend to click without trying and have trouble clicking quickly. To be honest, I have always felt I am the unusual one and people should not have to make exceptions for me. It takes me longer to master game behaviors but I can do them.

I do feel tho, that the inability to leave a training area will frustrate young players and those older ones in my age group. I don't think I will be the only one to get frustrated with this.

All in all I think the game is fairly easily mastered by almost anyone and will attract lot's of older players with time and money to spend.

But to answer your question exactly I have never found any game that really took into consideration people with different abilities. That's why finding a game that is playable for me is a big deal, something i really get excited about.
  • maybe just a nice red "Bail me out" button would be good. Someone mentioned in chat yesterday that he was stuck in the room with the dustball even though he had supplied it with the very shiny object--that was clearly a bug, but it would be useful in lots of other situations. It would let you exit the area immediately, and then you re-access the area later via the Rock.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Exactly my thoughts.
  • We were actually just talking about a "bail me out" button! Great minds, etc.

SassafrasTea: to be clear, did you mean when you are using spinach to jump up the tree? Or the early stages of the tutorial? Also, is it specifically a mouse problem? And, if so, is using the keyboard easier?
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was the using spinach area. I don't know how it could be made easier. I am just not that great at games without some work. I was having trouble figuring out when to try to move my little person to not over jump the branches. Just going to take some time I think.
    Honestly just being able to leave for a bit and do something else will make all the difference.
  • You can do quite a lot with a keyboard if you're able to use them. It's possible (and to me preferable) to play the game pretty much without using the mouse.

Left/Right/Up/Down keys do just that in the game and in menus
    Space to jump
    Enter is an action/confirmation - such as select an item to interact with - this is really useful when you're trying to milk a butterfly, pet a pig, talk to a person, or street spirit
    M is for Map
    L is for Log (quests/teleport)

Probably some more to come or that I don't know of.
    Posted 13 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for this post, and the suggestions along the way. We like the idea of being able to leave a quest uncompleted, and will be adding a "get me out of here" button at some point. It will be useful for all players!
    Posted 13 years ago by jdawg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I know there was a bug in that area, so don't be disheartened. I got stuck there, too, I think a week or two ago. Whenever the last test (before this weekend) was. I used the time to get a lot of spinach. I think I had 5 stacks deep. What is that ... 200 spinii? Regarding the over-shooting of the branches, again, that's some tricky physics, and it's given me a bit of trouble, too.

Not saying a "bailout button" wouldn't be useful. I think it would be. I'm just saying that it very likely wasn't "you" so much as it was "the game" that was having issues. Regardless, I'm sorry it made Glitch a bit less fun. Give it a shot at the next test, and see how it goes.
    Posted 13 years ago by charliepark Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for the suggestions. I will try them next time. I only posted because I saw this as a potential problem for more people than me. I will def. be back soon as they let me back in lol. However long it takes to learn to jump is fine with me. This game rocks.