Topic

Updates on the home page ... are they automatic?

I can see a bunch of my friends' updates on the Home page. Things like "stoot barfield finished learning Animal Kinship V". I can also see messages I posted myself, but those are more like tweets rather than "accomplishments": "Just let my daughter redesign the avatar. Might regret it."

When I acquire skills, are those automatically posted on my friends' home page / walls? If so, it'd be nice if my own skills/achievements could appear on my own wall as well.

None of this is a big deal ... I think the bigger issue is just that I'm not clear on where the updates are coming from / whether my updates are going out automatically / etc., and I'd like to have a better sense of what's going on.

Posted 13 years ago by charliepark Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I am also confused that my friends' skill learning notices are showing up days after the last test completed. I can't add new skills after the test closes...is that true for everyone? Someone I know just accomplished Mining IV five minutes ago and the last test ended on Friday...very confused about this.

I am hoping we can eventually hide or sort different types of notifications because all the skill learning notes and such are sort of burying messages directed at me. Not that I have a ton of incoming messages, rather the opposite...but I am missing the few that I do get unless scroll back frequently. So either be able to hide some notices or go to your Profile page to just see items directed at you.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Was he/she a dev? Because the devs can play anytime, as evidenced by the fact that I see stoot barfield and jdawg learn new skills and get new achivements all the time.
    Posted 13 years ago by Houdini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some skills take several days to finish learning, so you can start learning them before the test closes, and then finish learning them several days after the test closes, which I think is why you're seeing these notifications show up when the test is closed.
    Posted 13 years ago by quoo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Some of the skills take days to complete... as long as you start them when the game is running, the clock keeps ticking away to finish them up. You just can't start new ones when the world is closed.
    Posted 13 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As far as I understand it, the updates on the front page show several things:
    * (friend) requests which appear automatically
    * updates (msgs you write will appear on your friends' front page, friends' msgs will appear on you front page, also updates like who finished what skill which show up automatically)
    * blog updates
    Finishing a skill days after the last test makes sense for the reason quoo and clare described. Mining IV took 2 days, 9 hours and 36 minutes to learn.

And yes, I agree that the front page tends to be covered in skill finishing updates. Would be good to hide/filter those.

Who else finds it hilarious to follow a one-sided conversation between a friend and someone you are not friends with?
    Posted 13 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, not hilarious per se but maybe vaguely disconcerting to get one side of a conversation on my home page updates. This also goes back to the desire to hide skill updates so you don't miss personal messages - I think we need a separate way to send a message to a specific person. Then ideally we could select a 'mailbox' option on the left-hand list of update types to see only messages sent your way.
    Posted 13 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ah, did not realize Mining was a 48 hour deal, thanks, I had it in my mind that it was around 11 hours or so.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink