Topic

Can you limit quests?

I finally gave up tonight.... I can't play the game without being assaulted with new quests every 10-15 seconds. Is there a way to turn off the &^%$ rock so I can work on the backlog it has given me?

Posted 13 years ago by Oliver Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• +1
    It can be completely overwhelming early in the game. Either a limit to the number of open quests, some sort of mute function — or simply greater space between quest announcements (ie Rock will only offer quests once every 5 minutess or whatever).
    Posted 13 years ago by wurzel Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I FULLY support a "mute" for the rock that would allow me to go about my own questing/exploring in peace.

Also, I would enjoy a 'read' function in the quest log so that I could acknowledge that I know about new quests without having to go through all the dialogues with the Rock for the 5-10 I have unleashed.
    Posted 13 years ago by Dr. Pennypop Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think another solution would be not to allow a person to take on additional skills if they have not completed quests on existing skills. I'm not saying you should only do 1 skill at a time, but have a limit of how many skills you can start before you finish quests on other skills.
    Posted 13 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think it's a different issue, FrankenPaula... I'm not sure how limiting my skill-building options would slow the barrage of quest offers, unless they are triggered by having too many skills stacked up. (Are they?)

In any event, I would be better able to finish quests if I didn't have to swat away the incessant pop-ups offering new skills.
    Posted 13 years ago by Oliver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Or just show the title of new quest in the quest log with a button at the side to accept the quest.
    When you click accept, it opens up and shows you the details. Otherwise, It'll just be a single line of text.

To make it better, put the new quests under a different tab in the quest log and have active quest under it's own tab.
    Posted 13 years ago by Ixirim Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can go thru the quest list and take care of all the dialogue for all the new quests, then resume playing.
    Posted 13 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I agree that the constant barrage of quests is overwhelming and confusing. It would be nice to have a maximum # of current quests - so if you already have, say, 5 going on, the rock won't offer more until you finish one. I have also kind of thought at times that I'd like to be able to ditch quests, just remove them from my quest log - like I developed the meditation skill, got a meditation-related quest, but then realized that my character was going to be more of a gardener-chef. I wish I could have taken that quest off my list.
    Posted 13 years ago by Epimiliad Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You can X out of the dialog when the rock starts to spew something at you. (And get it back later; there will be a button in the quests item to hear about the quest.)

But obviously, that is not clear.

Also, I think possibly, you're saying that you never want the popups, and I agree that should be an option, that all the quests should immediately go to "click the button to hear about the quest" status.
    Posted 13 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't mind being notified upon receiving a new quest, though the rock's insistence upon reminding me on a regular basis got a bit frustrating.

I suspect that clicking the X mutes the rock for a certain amount of time. I'd recommend extending that time period significantly, perhaps to a matter of days.
    Posted 13 years ago by Matchu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Now that I think about it, this may be one of the reasons I consistently rate low on the exit survey's "how easy was it to get started" question. The problem is the multiple newbie quests stacking with the new skill quests. But I still ran into this today when I was AFK but learning skills from my smartphone, then when I got into the game and I wanted to tend my garden, I had five new quests and the rock insisted that I know about every one right that moment.
    Posted 13 years ago by Herp Derp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yesterday, I decided at some point to just automatically "click on the x" to see if it would eventually slow down the notices. I can't say I experienced any difference. The rock kept up the pace, and was especially good at obscuring the screen when I was trying to execute a tricky butterfly manoeuver .
    I'm hoping this is a beta testing feature that will be reduced to much more occasional interruptions from the pesky pebble.
    Posted 13 years ago by caley dunn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol, pesky pebble will always be in my mind when I click on that rock now.

ETA (to Tingly): actually my brain is made of dichroic glass blobs.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • if only you said brain, i coulda said i always knew you had pebbles for brains. :(
  • I'm sure that at some point in the future, these quests will come further and further apart as everything gets nerfed.

You all DO realize we're still in Alpha - right? Or, wait...we might have just begun Beta.
    But regardless, they have to have everything so close together so we can test everything quickly. We don't have the usual spans of time to test all the various aspects of the game, so they had to cram it all together so we could break it.

I'm sure that sometime soon in the future we will be experiencing Glitch on a MUCH different timeline.
    Posted 13 years ago by Bingobar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All quests are triggered by level advancement or skills at the moment. If you learn a lot of skills without going into the game, you will be "barraged" with quests. If you don't want to be, you can open up the quest log and press the button to start each quest.
    Posted 13 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wondering what " getting nerfed" is.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The reason I suggested limiting the number of skills is because the majority of your quests are tied to your skills. Almost each new skill has a quest to go with it that is intended to teach you how to use that skill. So, if you were allowed to keep adding new skills, but the number of quests was limited, you could have a situation where you're adding skills but the quests to go with these skills can't be added to your pet rock yet. I think a lot of people would be confused about what to do with the new skills.
    Posted 13 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nerfed is when they make something weaker, like replacing a baseball with a Nerf ball.