Topic

First thoughts

I had completely forgotten I'd signed up for testing, so it came as a surprise to me when I received the email. So I entered the game with no preconceived notions of what should be going on.

I immediately liked it. It jumps from slightly tense right into carefree, comfortable outdoors. The introduction is not necessarily fluid, but it works well, is succinct, and I absolutely love the music.

It got a little dicey for a minute, though, when it started talking about quests and exp. I started to think "oh, this is just another one of those games that looks innovative, but isn't". So far, it's kept me intrigued enough to not stop playing, but I haven't yet passed judgment on whether or not it will turn out to be another game like that.

I honestly thought it was going to play a little more quickly on the idea of "thinking is doing and doing is thinking", but it sort of fizzled out for me as I wandered around the world.

Also, I found the survey questions didn't really apply to me. I care neither about quests & skills, nor a big world, I care about things which make this specific game unique, which was not an option. I assume the skill system will be interesting the more I play, so I selected quests, skills, and experience. Then the question about game ownership of property vs in-game elections gave me no context and made little sense for me. Does property mean real-estate? If so, then that could certainly be interesting. But what's really important to me is, again, neither: I prefer social interactions to be as interesting and developed as possible, and I suppose a political system could help develop that.

So far, I'm intending to play again, but really I've had more fun setting up my new Twitter account to follow the game progress than I have playing the game itself.

Posted 13 years ago by RobotGymnast Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I followed this game for like a yea now, so that surpise didn't came to me.

And sorry, your story is too log to give you a normal reply haha

WHAT SHOULD I REPLY ? HI ?
    Posted 13 years ago by LarsLikesMilk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the feedback, RobotGymnast — we appreciate it. We're still in the early days and laying down building blocks: the game was quite different six months ago and will be even "diferent-er" six months from now …
    Posted 13 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Had the same surprise as RobotGymnast, thought it was spam or a virus or something haha. I have liked the game though. Really cool. Kind of reminds me of a simplified version of Wurm Online if you've heard of that.
    Posted 13 years ago by Fizio Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm enjoying it thus far. One of the things that would have been nice would have been the addition of having the option to authenticate via a Google account. And I too thought the invitation was spam at first glance.
    Posted 13 years ago by DiscoBall Inferno Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As a teacher with a personal goal to use Gamed Based Learning in education - Glitch is in my radar.

How and for what purpose Glitch could be used? I dont know yet.

Introduction is fun but after ten minutes I am still a little puzzled as to my aims? I share the point of view of RobotGymnast - I honestly thought it was going to play a little more quickly on the idea of "thinking is doing and doing is thinking", but it sort of fizzled out for me as I wandered around the world.

So, I will pop back soon and play again - but I need to have an aim? A destination? That may just be my view of course?

Perhaps adults need a reason to play whereas my students seem to play for playing sake??
    Posted 13 years ago by Kristianstill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have to say I'm sorta on the same line with a few of the above comments. I want to like and enjoy this game - but I struggled with any sort of goals right off the bat. I was trying to explain the game to a friend and I was like... um I don't have a clue what it's really about, but it's definitely different.

The one thing that's keep me goal focused right now is being able to train skills through the browser or from my Droid. I love that! So I'm looking forward to jumping back in and trying all my new skills ^.^

But beyond that, I haven't figured it out yet!
    Posted 13 years ago by Tabula Rasa Subscriber! | Permalink