Topic

Dying from Exhaustion when batch making

I found it annoying that I died of exhaustion after batch creating some stuff. I knew I was low on energy, but after making a bunch of things, I clearly miscalculated and died when the total energy cost was taken.

It looks like either batch creating, or planting in your garden (in your yard) can cause you to run yourself into exhaustion and die. The garden was worse, because the popup for my garden covered my energy meter and I couldn't see how much I had left.

Should it be this way or should it give you a warning, or even put in guard rails to prevent this?

Maybe this is just the design and I should have been paying more attention.

Posted 13 years ago by Tank Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Sometimes, you want to die on purpose. So I'm pretty sure it shouldn't be prevented. (It does prevent with smelting and crushing, and I wish it wouldn't.)

I think it's not bad to have to be responsible for monitoring your energy. Gardening is flawed right now because you can't SEE your declining energy as you're toiling away, but they're going to redo Gardening soon.

I haven't been able to X out of a batch thing in process. I think if you're able to see your energy as its declining and you're able to X out, it would be fine to leave it up to you to learn not to die if that's not what you're intending. But yeah, I think there are some nits with current things.
    Posted 13 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I try to start any action when I'm fully tanked up and then meter out how many actions to take in order to check the process and re-fuel. So, I'll enter the garden with lots of energy. Or instead of grinding 300 of something, I'll do smaller batches of 50 or so. Sometimes you can fuel up while you're doing something (like at projects), too.
    Posted 13 years ago by zeeberk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What would be nice is something that tells you how much energy something will take before you execute it - preferably alongside your current energy level. I tend to work in small batches to avoid dying (it happened once).

Part of the problem is that things are so variable in terms of how much energy they take - why is it that smelting takes much less energy than crushing, for example?
    Posted 13 years ago by Mo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've noticed that when I'm helping with a street project, I can go through my inventory and eat things while the blending, or tinkertooling, or grinding etc., are still going on.

I have never tried to eat or drink while gardening, but I have died in my yard several times, while repeatedly clicking on plots I fail to clear/water/harvest...really happy to hear that the gardens are being reconfigured.
    Posted 13 years ago by Picture Picture Subscriber! | Permalink
  • With the cooking skills, it does tell me that I don't have sufficient energy to perform the task and not let me start.

It would be nice if it mentions alternatives to getting the job done (e.g. try making smaller batches) or allow the same thing as the street dev module to allow you to eat while performing the task.
    Posted 13 years ago by nightning Subscriber! | Permalink
  • when i joined my friend who bumped me to the top of the list had asked me for a drink because his mood was low. if u ask me the mood should decrease slower.
    Posted 13 years ago by Hotshawt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I think it's not bad to have to be responsible for monitoring your energy."

even without accidenti-death you have to monitor your energy just to keep doing stuff, and monitoring an energy bar while crafting virtual goods isn't much of a "game". i guess you can call it "resource management" .. but that already exists without the accidenti-death.

energy is a constraint you have to think strategically and creatively to work around, but avoiding accidentally killing yourself by making one too many batches of something is not. in a good game, the player doesn't die immediately and randomly from something they don't even see coming.

in a side scrolling Gradius like shooter .. you can at least see the swarm of space fighters closing in on you before you explode..if only for a split second. in glitch, death is like a random out of the blue WTF, and taking pride in avoiding it is like taking pride in remembering to zip up your fly every morning. sure, you avoided looking foolish, but that's about it. you didn't do anything clever and there's virtuosity involved.

also, not only is the death itself often bewildering [unlike most games] the consequences are far more profound.

in most games, you die and get set back, but then can immediately hit "continue" and jump back in to try again. in glitch, you die from accidentally making an extra banana .. and then you spend up to the next half hour trying to get un-pooped and your energy and mood up to a point where you can get back to doing what you were doing before.

--to the devs' credit, they've done a bunch to remove accidenti-death from the game. for example, if you attempt to refine chunks but don't have enough energy, you don't die.. just get a warning that you can't crush that many right now.--
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Striatic is, as usual, right on. Dying from making a banana is just dumb. I rather suspect that no one thinks that's fun.
    Posted 13 years ago by Plurp Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because there are rewards for dying (slight now -- just achievements, but I have thought that hell will be expanded), yes, you need to be able to die from making a banana. There needs to be a way to drain the last bits of life out of yourself.

And it's hardly a surprise, on that scale of "small-energy" makes. There is a constant stream of popups telling you to find something to eat.

This is different with gardening, which doesn't give you a clue but is on the cusp of an upgrade, and perhaps with some high-energy batch things.
  • Oh wow, I'm having an EXPLOSIVE stream of ideas right now! I just thought of how we should have like a cake or something thats high-mood and gives an effect, say, SUGAR RUSH! And instantly gives you a super high energy boost. And after it gives you that it starts slowly drinking your mood until its half gone, or takes away like 50 percent, and while it does that you are "vomiting" sugar onto the ground. (note: you are just dropping sugar in its normal form. not vomit.) And while this is happening, you are picking up the sugar and putting it in your inventory to save for when you get some lemon juice. (sugar would be rare, but not as rare as a diamond! You could only get it from eating this cake which would be pretty common.) i think it's pretty unfair that lemon juice is a mood-stealer, cause i LIKE lemonade. So this sugar would be an option to add to lemon juice. Of course, it would add mood to the lemon juice. (duh!)
    Posted 13 years ago by ShadowOfThingsLost Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm curious how this is done because the game will tell me if I don't have enough energy to complete an action. It's dropped me down to critical levels even but never has it resulted in death.
    Posted 13 years ago by DiB Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think you're right, DiB. I can get down to
  • "Because there are rewards for dying (slight now -- just achievements, but I have thought that hell will be expanded), yes, you need to be able to die from making a banana. There needs to be a way to drain the last bits of life out of yourself."

no, you don't need to be able to die that way. there can be other ways to enter hell. indeed, there already is. you can have the energy loss from a mass make drain the player to 5 energy and not complete making all the requested items..

and *then* if the player elects not to eat [or hasn't brought along enough food] to replenish their energy, they drop.

only takes a couple minutes to die that way, but you get a couple minutes of warning. no accidenti-death unless you both make too much AND have no food in your pack. you can even have the excitement of a mad dash to a food vendor .. will the player make it to the vendor in time or not!?

much better than accidentally clicking the max instead of a lower number and dying in a blink. death by accounting error.
  • light foot, that substance pretty much already exists. it is called "no-no powder"