Topic

Cost of name change has gone up 100%.

*grumble*

Posted 13 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• to 100 currants - that's really not so bad is it?

I appreciate that a name change should cost a little something - it discourages people with bad intentions.
    Posted 13 years ago by Wren Bramble Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You are really making me curious, Nanookie! Is there a new name you had in mind for yourself?
    Posted 13 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 100 currants isn't much, agreed.

@Mina: my current name came out of a dare, and it's sort of grown on me. But not completely, it's a bit long.
  • Ohh I like the idea but it should cost more, or real-world money to discourage such things happening frequently. At 100 currants I wouldnt think twice about it if I wanted to change my name weekly. And once the game gets going and we start getting higher levels imagine our currantcy accounts will become much larger. Also, imagine scammers and general a-holes running around pissing people off until he's hated by everyone and then changing his name to do it all again. I think it should cost a lot a lot.
    Posted 13 years ago by Cap'n Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wow, I guess I better get it done while the getting's good...
  • this is probably too complicated but i think it should be more expensive at least 1000 currants .. but you should get a credit for one free swap so as not to punish new players who make a mistake and realize their name is ill suited to the world within the first session or so.
    Posted 13 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Perhaps it should increase exponentially.
    First name change = 1 currant
    Second = 10 currants
    Third = 100 currants
    Fourth = 1000 currants
    and so on...

That will only significantly impact serial name-changers, and for most folk won't be a problem...
    Posted 13 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "and for most folk won't be a problem..."

i know on plurk people often like to change their names slightly to match the holidays, and although i never do that myself i find it rather amusing. exponential pricing would cut out that possibility.

changing names should be difficult, but i'm not sure it should become impossible over time.
  • "but i'm not sure it should become impossible over time."

Perhaps there could be an equivalent exponential decay in cost if you left it unchanged for a while...
    Posted 13 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • that would work. actually that'd work best of all because it would allow for periodic name changes but with appropriate spacing to avoid confusion.
  • Let it scale by player level. Low level players cost 100c, at about level 10 it's 1000c, etc.
    Posted 13 years ago by Nill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nill, generally speaking that might work but the thing is that in glitch advancing by level isn't supremely important. number of skills and wealth in currants has more bearing on gameplay than level.

this is good, by the way, since people who grind a lot get the prestige of a high level number and a small convenience benefit from the larger energy gas tank .. but they aren't superhuman compared to the casual player.

but the problem is that it becomes very easy to create incentives to intentionally keep yourself at low level. this would be one of those incentives.

maybe it would be cool to have players fighting to reduce XP gain to a minimum in order to retain low level status and gain access to low level abilities and prices .. but be aware that it is a possible outcome when you tie prices and abilities to being low level. especially in a game where levels are disconnected from abilities to the extent they are in glitch.
  • When I changed my name a while back, it won't let you change your name again for 2 months. Which is probably much simpler way to discourage people from doing it too often
    Posted 13 years ago by shhexy corin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 2 month idea is a good one.
    What about first name change being like 1000 currants (not too hard to achieve but enough that it encourages people to pick a decent name in the first place) and after the first one it should cost an outrageous amount of currants or some flat cash fee like say $10.
    Be fair about it though - right in character creation people should be told right below the "Pick a Name:" box have a warning "Note: your first name change will cost you a relatively small amount of in-game money, but subsequent changes will have a fee of $X"
    Posted 13 years ago by Cap'n Bob Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i forgot about the 2 month thing.

yeah, that's pretty much the only deterrent you need. the currants thing seems mostly to be for flavour.

you should probably be able to change your name a few times in the first week or so. we ran into a player who had trouble with his name early on and had to get a dev to change it.