Topic

what kind of home are you interested in?

please describe your ideal house/home in glitch!

would you like a little house in the country? a cool apartment in the middle of a bustling urban crossroads? an undersea cousteau-like habitat pod? a house shaped like an anvil, hanging from the ceiling of Ix on a chain? something beside a river with a water wheel to power an automatic making machine?

a treehouse?

where would you like your character to reside?

Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• A delicious gingerbread house.

That way I can eat it.

OMNOMNOMNOM.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nommers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • not til striatic answers

Ok, I'd like an urban apartment shaped like an anvil hanging from a submerged riverside tree, but NO water wheel
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An airship :-)
    Posted 14 years ago by Skywise Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a firefield?
    Posted 14 years ago by yeoz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • oh nommers, always with the nomming : ]

to answer my own question - i would like a floating home, sitting just off the shore of a lake, that can be left and returned to via a canoe or sailboat.

some other suggestions include ..

hobbit hole
    decommissioned missile silo complex
    haunted house [comes with NPC ghosts!]
    jetsons like elevated above cloud house on stilts
    pueblo built into the side of a cliff
    space apartment in the research complex / transport hub at the end of the orbital tether
  • or maybe instead of a floating home, a house in a city something like venice. or a very small island.

what i'm really trying to get at, is a house with a driveway for a boat.
  • I wouldn't care if my house were just a door standing by itself in the middle of a field--for me it's more about what I can do inside the house and how I can make that look.

Although...a train car would make a very fine abode.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a train car house sounds really cool.

the door standing by itself in the field with a big room inside sounds a bit like Doctor Who's TARDIS.
  • As an ode to the catbus of Totoro..some large furry creature with an expandable belly button door would be nice too.
  • I'd like a castle on a cloud. Of course you'd get to it by climbing a beanstalk
    Posted 14 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm still pining for Lunkhed Commons....
    Posted 14 years ago by Peter Verona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A giant peach. Like in "James and the Giant Peach." Or a giant apple. Or pie.

Mmm... pie.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nommers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Definitely a treehouse. With hammock and hanging gardens!
    Posted 14 years ago by Calliope Subscriber! | Permalink
  • An unmarked egg tree, one of the massive ones, so I can furtively look around to see if anyone is watching and dart in. In other words, I don't want a sign up in front of my door saying I live there! :)
    Posted 14 years ago by Delphin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Meer, your house was the first one I saw when I first played. I *so* wished i could put a virtual sitcky note on your door.
  • Couch cushion home? blog.buildllc.com/2010/04/c...
    Posted 14 years ago by lauraglu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yeahhh
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • bump!

please answer if you haven't already!
  • a wood lodge. nice fire place and bed. lots of storage and farm
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A hobbit-hole.

A TARDIS.

A log cabin.

A flat such as Oxbridge dons occupied on campus back in the day.

My old house in Lunkhed Commons.
    Posted 14 years ago by Peter Verona Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Something living, like the inside of a healthy tree which I could tend, or the intestine of a slow lumbering animal with me in a symbiotic relationship. Or maybe just a large mushroom. :)
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i like the living home .. which makes me think that it could be cool to have mobile homes!
  • I'm not sure it's been mentioned yet, but I think an apartment building would be cool. I could imagine mini-communities forming among the neighbors of an apartment. Yes, I admit it, I want to live in melrose place.
  • Oh and apartments should be for rent, not for sale. They'd be an ideal home for somebody who can't afford their own large mushroom house yet. If you don't pay the rent, your stuff gets set out on the street and the locks get changed. You'd also have to put up with neighbors that have loud parties and cook smelly foods.
  • communal dwellings with private sub-dwelling would be great.

especially co-ops so you could live with all your friends in one place.
  • Gotta say: the idea of a home doesn't seem compelling at all. I want to explore the world that's promised to me, not settle down in one spot. That idea seems antithetical to exploration/discovery, which is the #1 reason why I was excited to check out Glitch.
    Posted 14 years ago by green lantern horn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • homes aren't meant to be where you spend the majority of the time. the majority of the time you're out exploring.

homes are the place you keep your stuff between adventures, and where you can drop stuff for other people to pick up.

i don't see homes as antithetical to exploration/discovery in any way.
  • plus, not everyone in glitch is going to want to be exploring all the time.

there's nothing in glitch that forces you to have a home if you don't want to. if you want to be exploring absolutely 100% of the time i'm sure you'll be able to do that.
  • A few cool homes I'd be happy with:
    - A cabin under the sea, inside the belly of a huge whale, made of parts from a sailboat
    - An abandoned airplane stuck on a top of a tree
    - A giant marshmallow in a field of nacho cheese Doritos
    - An old farmhouse on a vineyard
    - A library, with a log fire burning, big comfy couch and lots of books on endless shelves
    - In the house of mirrors of a theme park (Or some other ride)
    Posted 14 years ago by Hippowill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Or a house made of cheese would be pretty cool, with a little garlic patch outside ;)
    Posted 14 years ago by Hippowill Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A glistening mud bubble.
    Posted 14 years ago by Snufkin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • A giant multi-storied spiral yurt! With built in vines to swing from and a tree in the middle. With musical pipes. Yeaaah. Also a little gypsy-style horse-powered mobile home would be cute.
    Posted 14 years ago by Mursock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Home as place to drop off stuff for sure, and possibly furnish/decorate (actively or implicitly) in relation to acquired skills.

How it looks? A filing cabinet or cabinet of curios. An empty fishbowl.
    Posted 14 years ago by Holgate Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like one of those giant ball house things like they have in Where the Wild Things Are :D.
    Posted 14 years ago by Chai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I would like some smaller, cheaper homes. Maybe something mobile or portable, or even a tent! A tree-house (as in house up in a tree) or tree-house (as in tree with door in) would be great. It should have shelves too please.
    Posted 14 years ago by Cassandria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd lean towards the notion of unreal homes. A box, an invisible door to a secret area, a pond that isn't really a pond, but the entrance to a home.
    Posted 14 years ago by Sasson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • underground secret volcano base lair/HQ
  • A tree house, but in the stretching across an entire forest sense with rope swings, rope ladders, vines little towers and stuff like that.
    Posted 14 years ago by Flickerfly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd like a spider web..where the door opens with a push ..like a revolving door. In an area of the web of my own choosing.......Said abode should of course be stretched between objects as seen in natural settings.Keeping it in a Green theme...lol
    Posted 14 years ago by Tilly TrinkleHouse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes to PeterVerona's TARDIS suggestion!
    My other top choice would be a modern looking apartment.

I also like the tree-house (especially the house-in-tree type, but also the tree-as-house type), co-op housing, and library suggestions, although I'd think anything could look like a library inside if we'll be able to do extensive furnishing on our own.

What about mobile housing options, like a little airstream trailer that you could move to different locations? Houses on floating pieces of land (Laputa style)?

You mentioned water wheels, but I could also imagine a windmill house working pretty well.
    Posted 14 years ago by Amy Pond Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm partial to little log cabins in the woods, but I wouldn't mind a hobbit-hole community like Lord of the Rings. They make me smile.
    Posted 14 years ago by Bunyip Subscriber! | Permalink