Topic

Tools for N00bs

For a long time now I've had in my yard an area dedicated to free tools for low level characters.  (There is even a nice sign pole describing the intention.)  Designed as a nice little swap space the goal was like those take a penny leave a penny things.  

Hey, lucky enough to find an Ace of Spades in my pile?  Great, leave behind your old shovel for the next guy.  For a long time, this worked very well.  People took things, sometimes things didn't arrive in return, but that's ok too.  After all, it's entirely possible you still needed a scraper and took one that was sitting there.  Great, enjoy it in good health.  :)

To support this I routinely made or purchased tools to put in the pile.  Which, as a high level character is just something nice I like to do.  I also accept that there are some folks that will take advantage of this neat little charity I've established without ever dropping anything off for the pile.  Honestly, that's ok too, since bad things happen to good intentions all the time.  (Really this isn't a "pity me, my cool stuff was stolen out of my yard" type post.)

What I'm not a fan of, is when there are multiple of each of the cheap tools available and suddenly, without a "Who Visited?" list to support it, they are all mysteriously gone.  So, what I'm asking for here, for those willing to assist of course, is if there are any glitchen out there with spare tools of any quality or type, drop them off near the sign in my yard.  I appear to be in a situation where everything has vanished and could use the help in restocking.  (Oh, and also, if you are the type to come by and leave with multiple copies of all the tools, just don't.  It's really bad style.)

Thanks in advance to those that like what I do in my yard with tools.

Posted 12 years ago by Nerd of Epic Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• A special thanks for the lovely pile of tools provided by king smo.
  • A special thanks for the lovely pile of tools provided by Annuska.
  • A special thanks for the lovely pile of tools provided by swampfox2222.
  • And because I'm likely to lose track, thanks ahead of time for anyone else that decides to support this cause.  :)  You guys rock!
  • You might want to give your butler a stack of tools to distribute, since some players will no doubt be visiting your street specifically to remove the entire pile of tools.  If you coordinate with a few other players, you could create a little tool route.  :)
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • what tools would you like me to drop off to your butler?
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh whoa, I appreciate the shout-out but actually I only dropped a cocktail shaker today.  (I have left other stuff on other occasions tho', because I love the idea.)
    Posted 12 years ago by Annuska Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, I'm not a super high level player but I can see if i can buy any tools to donate! :)
    Posted 12 years ago by menthia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To answer Crashtestpilot, there are no specific requests at all.  If it's a tool, it qualifies.  That means kitchen, outdoor, engineering, anything.  If there are already 19 of that kind of tool in the pile and you arrived with another 6, well then great, now there are more.  If you leave the occasional gem of a "black tool" then awesome for the glitch that needs it.  If you arrive and need something, take it.  :)

Also, as inspired by SchWM, I've been working toward my Total Tool badge and the rather insane amounts of tools this has produced (so far, I still have a long way to go) have joined the pile.  If you are crazy enough to try to earn these badges and have obscene numbers of tools as a result, you know where you can leave them.