Topic

Anyone else having trouble with evading hi signs?

A week ago I would have told you I was GOOD at evading the hi sign. But now it seems no matter what I do, my Glitch keeps pausing in mid-jump, just long enough for the hi sign to nab me.

Things I've tried:

Reloading. Like, BILLIONS OF TIMES
Changing browsers. I've tried Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera.
Closing all other applications and windows and tabs, and running nothing but the browser.
Making sure the browser window itself is just big enough to hold the game window.
Making sure browser is up to date, and that flash is up to date.
Making sure browser has absolutely no add-ons or extensions.
Deleting all cookies and clearing cache.
Updating my entire operating system.
Shutting down my wifi and plugging the ethernet cable directly into the computer.
Dumping my entire inventory just in case it has something to do with that. Yeah, I know, grasping at straws, ha!
Swearing. Crying. Complaining constantly, which I think is kind of starting to alienate all my friends and anyone else who comes within earshot of me.

This is not a problem of skill. The hi sign can be two or three planks behind me, and as I'm frantically jumping along I'll just sort of "catch" in mid-air and BAM. It gets me. This is true when I'm on spinach and/or hairball. Even a perfectly-timed triple jump is subject to this problem. Normally I don't have any real noticeable "lag." I have a new computer and a fast (broadband) connection. And like I said -- a week ago I was able to evade a hi sign quite well. I mean, it was a challenge to do it for very long, but when I failed it was due to my ineptness, not to being momentarily frozen in the middle of what should've been a perfect escape maneuver. *scowls*

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, have you found any ways to deal with it? I'm willing to try just about anything!  Or am I truly alone in my hi evasion misery?

Posted 12 years ago by Sirentist Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Unfortunately you may have a case of permalag as a result of your computer/internet speed/other factors :( Solutions may be complex and non-straightforward. Perhaps other people on your network/connection are lagging you?
    Posted 12 years ago by TomC Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to be able to dodge the hi sign for 30 seconds or more, then I took an arrow to the knee.  But seriously, since I got the lower two evasion badges, I can't evade a hi sign for more then 9 seconds.  It is, as they say, teh suck.  I don't have noticeable lag either.  I haven't tried swearing or crying though!  BRB!
    Posted 12 years ago by Sloppy Ketchup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can you only evade hi signs in one street, or can you move to different streets while running away?
    I have always only been able to evade for about 10 seconds, because after about 7 seconds, the hi sign speeds up faster than my glitch can move.
    Posted 12 years ago by ₰ℓ№ʀ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • One thing I've noticed with the hi-sign evasion is that it seems like when I get a little "lag hitch", my Glitch doesn't keep moving during the hitch, but the hi sign does.  So there'll be a little pause on the screen, and when it resumes, my Glitch will be in the same place, but the hi-sign will have jumped forward a bit.

These hitches seem to disproportionately take place while I am running from hi-signs, and one or two of them is enough for the hi-sign to catch up by entire screen lengths.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I can evade but I've always used spinach.  There are definitely variables that change the speed of the chase that I haven't been able to identify.  It seems sometimes the Hi sign itself has a random speed.  But it's also easier to break records on some streets than others.
    Posted 12 years ago by Webbie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm having the same issues.  Yet, I thought if I lagged, the whole game should lag to right?  

Though my lag issues is to due to mainly to my internet connection,  I feel like the speed drastically increases after achieving the two badges.  
    Posted 12 years ago by arose4beni Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wonder if it's related to the way that when the juju bandit appears the street lags, i lag, but the juju doesn't...
    Posted 12 years ago by FlatEarther Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Flatearther, definitely I experience the same thing.  It seems like the game server keeps running but you get paused.  Very annoying especially with those damned Jujus.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zoethor2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I got the 11s achievement on the first day, and haven't managed to beat 9s since.
    Posted 12 years ago by Janitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got the 11 second and 61 second, but since then I'm doing great if I evade for 9 or 10 seconds. I tried jumping like crazy and cursing but that didn't help. I will try spinach and hairball, but from this discussion, I have a feeling I will never see the other two badges.
    Posted 12 years ago by GreyGoose Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Same here as GreyGoose's experience. I got the first two achievements, and now I can't get more than nine seconds anymore. The Hi signs speed up and catch me, anyway. Before I got the first two achievements, I could run and jump a bunch to get away from the sign. Now? Nope. Even hairball doesn't help.
    Posted 12 years ago by Imberis Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've had no noticeable lag but it's almost like the hi signs can put on the thrusters and speed up to get you.

Also, funny note, my Chrome spell check wants me to change thrusters to housemasters. True Story.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lily Linguistic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am  experiencing the same lag issues with evading the hi sign, I am in mid air, the game pauses me but the hi sign keeps going.
    When it first came out I was able to evade for more than 6 min at one point but unfortunately the timer was not working back then because it was bugged. They might have debugged it so the timer works but something else is not working. My average evade time is about 20 secs.
    Something else I  am experiencing is that when my spinach ends and am trying to activate another one, its like it won't let me because the Hi sign is coming  towards me.
    Personally I think the Hi signs want to eat our spinach!
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeasilver Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure, after the first badge, the little Hi's speed up after around 8 seconds. I just can't seems to get away from them.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr Mellifluous Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm pretty sure the signs speed up after 8 seconds no matter what badges you have. Mine have done so in recent weeks, and that was before I got the 11s badge.
    Posted 12 years ago by Xiri Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, now I feel much less alone in my inability to evade for long. I thought people assumed I was crazy when I explained to them that the darn hi signs jumped at me and if I jumped, they'd absolutely pop to me and catch me. Frustrating but meh. I do feel bad for any badge grinders with the same problems as me on this one though.
    Posted 12 years ago by Avery♥ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My experience with HI signs: You can evade them for 11 seconds, then suddenly they get really angry at you and doubling the max speed you will ever achieve they darts towards you like a moth%&#çing sniper bullet and then is over man, is just over, no amount of mixed spinach and hairball triple jumping on the jumpiest Kloro street will avoid it NEVER.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mikah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 mikah lol
    Posted 12 years ago by Twinkle Star Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 1. Displace Unblock Chi

2.Solve anagram.

3. Evade Hi Signs.
    Posted 12 years ago by Vogon Blarg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm thinking we need to sew these badges on our outfits! An 'Evading" cape might help. I got nothing else.
    Posted 12 years ago by Burnbomber Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Initially if you ran far enough they would lag farther behind and you could plot your next evasive manœuvre. About the time my last attempt of nearly six minutes wasn't counted they seemed to tweak the pursuit mode so that rather than becoming tardy after ten seconds or so it caught up and hugged your rear making escape impossible, I guess too many people were getting the achievements too rapidly and they tweaked it to make it more of a longer term challenge?
    Posted 12 years ago by Benzyl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got the 61 second evade pretty easily. Haven't tried for the next one yet...
    Posted 12 years ago by Bashere Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I used to be able to evade the hi signs for a good five minutes if I got the groove going, and it netted me all the evasion badges that were available at the time. Since the addition of the newer badges, though, I haven't been able to break ten seconds. It's pretty frustrating.
    Posted 12 years ago by Singing Monk Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm having the same experience. I used to get over six minutes with the only challenge being not to slip up, but now I can't get any longer than 11 seconds. It doesn't seem possible to jump over the signs without them catching you anymore.
    Posted 12 years ago by CuCN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, I got the badges for evading for numbers of seconds early on, thank goodness. Now I'm working on the daily record badges and although I'm still sometimes able to make the record for a given location, it's just a matter of sheer luck.  It all depends on when the mid-air pause gets me. That's what's so frustrating about it -- it has very little to do with skill now. It's worst when I've just executed a lovely escape maneuver and then get frozen while the damn hi sign races across the screen to nab me, ha!

Usually I can't evade for longer than 10 or 15 seconds now. It's weird, though -- some streets definitely do seem to cause this problem more than others. I was able to evade earlier today for 298 seconds on a totally uncultivated, unexpanded home street, just by way of hairball and a rhythm of well-timed triple jumps. I'm beginning to wonder if it's the movement of animals or other players that causes the mid-air "hitching."
  • And somewhere out there is a staff member looking at this thread like ---> this thinking: "They are onto us... but we will say nothing to them... NOTHING"
    Posted 12 years ago by Mikah Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have a slower connection (DSL) and an older computer (5 years old, maybe going on 6 here soon) and on some days, if there's no one else on the network, I do alright in evading the hi signs but not getting those huge ones yet. I've managed to get 22 seconds without the use of spinach (because sometimes just double clicking the spinach causes you to lose precious seconds, especially if you lag) on a home street that was cultivated, I've even gotten close to that on my own homestreet (18 seconds). My guess would be that it's luck, because I've even had lag spikes and still managed to evade some hi signs in that manner. I dunno, it's just weird how it goes.
    Posted 12 years ago by Ayasta Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Any word from staff on this?
    Posted 12 years ago by Aurora Dellaterra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When the hi-signs speed up at the 6-7 second mark or so there is a definite "hitch" a la juju, deimaginator etc

I think that hitch is when you are actually evading the sign...When someone hi's right next to you there's no notice for evading a hi sign for 3 seconds...only after speed boosts (and us momentarily stopping)  are we actually evading.

Also, "Updating my entire operating system." not that I think it matters in the least to this issue...which one?
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was actually thinking of posting this exact topic. I was going to ask it from the other angle: Have hi signs been speeded up? I can't seem to evade them for more than 9 seconds anymore. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Eror Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had one going, it was a fair distance behind me and I'm running as fast as my glitch legs can carry me but it slowly started speeding and then BOOM warp speed. >.<
    Posted 12 years ago by Lily Linguistic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i hear you, i also can't evade for more than 9-11 seconds with jumping. altho i was able to get the first two badges about 2 weeks ago. i see people on my home page are getting the badge tho, and i hear toxic moon is the place to do it. anyone want to have a party with me?
    Posted 12 years ago by Zudora Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yesterday or day before a friend and I were doing the big circle running up the stairs in GGW.

With hairball and bouncing it was still possible to sometimes get about a minute. She got the badge I'm still tryin :)

However, many failed attempts at the 9 second mark due to the hitch.

Also, rounding corners the glitch seems to stop for a moment as the hi-sign cuts the corner.
    Posted 12 years ago by M<3tra, obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Vogon

That anagram is ridiculous. There are like 100,000 word combos in there. Grr. Can you give more hints?

--Me
    Posted 12 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @SchWM "Double Click Spinach"
    Posted 12 years ago by CuCN Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh. 

--Me, who SHOULD have been able to do that.
    Posted 12 years ago by SchWM Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (Metra, I'm on a MacBook Pro; I updated my OS from 10.7.4 to 10.7.5.)
  • I am sure the sign speed has increased.  I think when the badges first came out, the devs were tinkering with the speed, sort of like what happened with the salmen.  I remember some times the hi sign would flash to you from a screen away after a few seconds.  Other times you could run faster than it with no hairball, spinach, etc.  Now it has been tweaked.  I can still evade it with spinach, but if I pooch the double-click just once, it is all over.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shootsin Latters Subscriber! | Permalink