Topic

A farewell to the Sandbox Group

Crossposted from the Sandbox Group Forum

Well, my dears, I've been crying a lot since the bad news came down, as have many of you, I suppose. I wanted to get on my soapbox one more time to just tell you all how much I appreciated each and every one of you, even if you never posted, or chatted...you were here, and a part of this great group, and I thank you.

I can't really speak for Artilect, but I believe he started the group because he saw a need for player-created content in the game that wasn't being filled at that time.  Those of you who have been with the game since before the Great Reset can remember how exciting it was to play Glitch when it was only available for a few days at a time.  When the game was open, we were all frantically grinding away to play as much and as hard as we could before the next closing. All that obsessive playing led to a lot of advancement really fast, and the developers just couldn't seem to keep up with us.  The Sandbox Group was a godsend for players who wanted to stay in the game, but had run out of things to do. Thanks, Artilect, for starting the group.

I don't really know why Artilect made me an administrator, which I found out by surprise when I logged in to the group. I'm not much of a leader, but I was honored and did all I could to facilitate the fun of everyone in the group.  I have to say thanks to all of you for putting up with my efforts.

We had some great times, didn't we?  The Polkadot Hatted Flash Mobs, showering RKs on the miners, filling Uncle Friendly's with Friendly Acid, The Great Gnome Hunt, Floor 20, the protests at the Stoot Shrine (before we knew to call it an occupy movement!), and the quests!  Oh, the quests that gave us fun things to do in the game until the devs could catch up with us.

Then came the Housing Reset, and new lands, and feats, and all of a sudden, there were things to do in Ur again!  The Sandbox Group grew quiet, and some people were saddened by this.  I have to say though, that I was not. This group had served its purpose--it kept some very creative people playing the game, and it showed the way for others to take off on their own.

I started this paragraph to thank everyone personally, but there are so many, and so many great memories...I just can't do it.  Please know that I do appreciate the active members of the group especially, and I love you all.  I hope if I run into some of you some day down the road, you'll say hi for auld lang syne. I'm almost always chilirlw across the internet. Take care, my dears. Creative people are always breaking their hearts on the rocks of the world, but they keep on doing what they do because that is who they are. Be brave and light your lights in other corners of the world.

Posted 12 years ago by chilirlw Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I was thinking this morning... would there be any interest in an IRLSandbox Group?  The whole point of the sandbox group was to make Ur a more fun and interesting place, largely through random acts of secret gifting and art.  Some of those activities could be done in the real world... e.g. write out a poem in brightly coloured markers, then leave it on a bulletin board in a community centre.  We could post photos of our exploits somewhere.

Last year I was involved in this project: return2.me/
    ...which has sort of a sandbox-type feel to it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Miss Portinari Subscriber! | Permalink