Topic

Where will you be when Glitch turns off the lights?...

I'm trying to figure out where I'll be when the lights go off on December 9th. I'll definitely be inworld, but where? In my garden surrounded by my two remaining chickens, crops and machinery? In Shimla Mirch, where I spent a lot time looking for free herbs before we could grow herbs at home? In Bortola, where I bought my first free standing home, after graduating from a small apartment with a 4-plot garden (I was so proud to have made it to that point)? In Baqala, where I still remember the hair rising on the back of my neck every time I saw a juju coming my way. :) Hanging out with a sloth? Riding a subway car? In a quiet spot, overlooking a great lookout, trying to freeze into my mind that sense of wonder I felt when I first came onboard as an early beta tester before the first launch? 

I confess, I didn't really grasp what the concept of this game was. I bounced around the world, during those testing weekends, petting and watering trees, pigs and chickens, nodding to Glitchens I came across. But I was impressed by the  artwork and the spirit of the "game". I had a few years' experience with Second Life, but the whimsicalness (word?) of Glitch was really unique. Something to make Dr. Seuss proud! I never connected with the community at large (by choice) once the game launched, but I always enjoyed following Global chat as I made my way through the levels and quests. 

I was intrigued, when the game went back to beta mode, that everyone was given a house. What was there really to work for? After a while, I missed the randomness of meeting people, since I didn't really live on a street anymore.  I then found that maintaining my garden was tedious and the simplicity, zen-ness, of the game had been lost for me. In late Summer I signed off. I just returned when I saw the tweet on Nov.14. I'll be here when the game closes. I appreciate what the staff of TS put out, and I hope that their artistic sensibility will reverberate in an online game somewhere in the future. Thanks guys!

Posted 12 years ago by MaxieMo Subscriber! | Permalink