Topic

"A Web Nerd's Approach to Building a Massively-Multiplayer Game"

For anyone interested in what's going on behind the client.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxG...

Posted 14 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thanks for the video. it was really interesting to see the time lapse of how the land is edited. i played a few weeks ago and was really impressed with how fast fixes were implemented. it was cool to have a glimpse into how that was done.
    i can't wait to play again:)
    Posted 14 years ago by vampje Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was really intrigued by the idea of an API for programmers to access the game. That made me imagine a world where anybody who wants to learn how can add areas and objects to the game. That would be fun! Kind of like the old timey moos where you could add rooms and objects. I think a lot of the best online content sites are ones where users add content, a game world where players can add areas and objects or even quests would be much bigger and interesting than a world that a small team of programmers can ever make on their own.
    Posted 14 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for posting, Eleanor!
    Posted 14 years ago by lauraglu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it was interesting to count how many times stoot and cal said "flash", versus how many times they said "javascript".

'flash' was said maybe once? twice?

'javascript' about a bazillion times? : ]

interesting ratio considering it is a flash game.

the bits about the API were really cool. i wish it'd been discussed a bit more.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well, it is not *inherently* a Flash game. It would be a lot of work, but it is possible for us to reproduce the whole front end in WiiWare, XBLA, iPad, whatever. (I have no idea if that will ever happen.)

Javascript got mentioned more because the internals are more interesting: they allow us to make different apps and sub-games that plug in to the whole shebang. Someday :)
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the internals are more interesting, to be sure.

anything playable on a mobile device browser would be keen.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink