Topic

XP

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not a fan of the term "XP". Everything else seems tailored to the game, in human language: Energy, Mood, Currants... and yet when it comes to experience, we're talking about an incongruous piece of jargon. Perhaps widely known among gamers, but certainly not everyone who's going to be playing Glitch.

Plus, in the intro, it doesn't even explain what XP means. You're just relying on players knowing: given the nature of the game, I'm not sure they will.

Posted 14 years ago by wurzel Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• That is a fairly good point... I could see people enjoying Glitch who've never played anything like this before... at least explaining it to be experience points would be nice for real newbies :o)
    Posted 14 years ago by Katrina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Kernels"?

;)
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wisdom points?
    Posted 14 years ago by FrankenPaula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • kernels + wisdom points = nuggets.
    but I don't like nuggets.

let's re-purpose another web culture term: noobs. Oh the irony! The more noobs you have, the longer you have been playing. Or combine it with knowledge: knowbs.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lol i love the idea of using noobs.
    Posted 14 years ago by Cayden Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wisdoms/wizzies!
    Posted 14 years ago by Sasson Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Neurons?
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Neurons is a great idea. It should be something connected to the game. GiantMindPoints, CreationPoints...
    Posted 14 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Existence, this score determines how strong your connection to this world is. They say that sometimes at night, people with a low existence turn in to mind gas and just float away." (I mean, no one wants to become a giants brain fart, right?)
    Posted 14 years ago by Logrus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i like kernels best.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • wrinkles.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Or, from some of the early brainstorming of in-the-minds-of-giants on our side, we had a variety of mental items players could come across and then build things out of: figments, notions, musings, etc. Maybe one of those.
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If skills aquisition is going to be based on time and each skill is lvled individually is there really a need for overaching XP at all. Does it truely serve a purpose other than attempting to elevate oneself above the other by getting a greater lvl.
    In Glitch we are all created (or thought up) equal we should only be judged on our interactions not on an arbitory lvl system.
    Posted 14 years ago by Jeff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • yeah but without XP how will alpha.glitch.com/leaderboar... work ?

; ]

i think XP has got to go. replaced with cooking points, mining points, gardening points and what have you.

though you don't even need to call those "points", just "ability".

i think this would appeal more to casual gamers, like me, maybe. since xp and points are too formal to be casual!

right?

although i think all kinds of gamers respond to gold stars : ]
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • +1 Striatic. Glitch, do you really want to create lifeless people that have nothing to do but try to gain experience by repeatedly clicking on a rock? Or do you want people that go on a little bit every day to hang out with friends and interact with the game community (=. Dont make another WOW
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • They already said XP is gonna be a pretty much superfluous thing once the revamp rolls out.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ha! I knew I was leveling absurdly fast due to a couple different extra-glitchy bits I encountered when playing around with powders, but that leaderboard is truly ludicrous... :)

I liked the Existence Points idea as a way to translate the xp trope to the glitch narrative, but also agree that maybe it's not that important to have it at all, what with the Great Skill-Level Decoupling coming up. But it would be interesting to have some sort of measure of progress of how we--individually and collectively--are all doing in working towards Emprobabalization or whatnot. (Ooh, and there could be world events! where stuff happens to decrease our collective emprobabalization and we all have to work to gain enough EmprobaPoints to fix the glitch in the Glitch... uh... but I digress...)

Gold stars are definitely nice, and I gotta say, I never stopped loving the little triumphant trumpety huzzah when I gained a level. But yeah, what Lolzerz said, no grindy WOW stuff please, or even worse, that whole creepy EverCrack business where you can't stop playing cause you're not sure when you're gonna level but it could be any minute now!
    Posted 14 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think once Skill is liked to time and not XP, and the giants are become a greater part of the game the giant favor points will become much more important, possible could link they type of actions you do to the giant associated with them. that was by doing what each ginat like you to do you gain favor with that and that allows you greater interaction with each giant. it also makes alot more sence and brings the giants more into the world of the player
    Posted 14 years ago by Jeff Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Good point re: XP being jargon. Been gamin' so long I hadn't even thought of that.

I like Existence and Neurons best of the suggestions so far.
    Posted 14 years ago by MetaGrrrl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • How about marbles?

so then, say for some reason you lose "xp" you lose your marbles :)

good idea though definatly support getting rid of the term "xp"
    Posted 14 years ago by stupid ears Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mmm. I like 'marbles' a good deal too.
    Posted 14 years ago by MetaGrrrl Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'd have to give 'existence' my vote. A brilliant term!
    Posted 14 years ago by TGDT Subscriber! | Permalink