Topic

What's to come?

I'm super new. I got my first taste of Glitch from the test on Friday and I can't wait till it opens again. It just seems too good to be true. When it is launched, I'm wondering...how will it be paid for? Will there be out-of-place pop-up advertisements? Will the game not be worth it unless your a paid member? I used to be pretty active on Kingdom of Loathing and I really liked their model for revenue - donations can get you super special rare items, and they have some really cute nerdy merch for sale too - but not being a paying member doesn't affect your game experience too much. Whatever happens I can't wait to see how this awesome game grows!

Posted 14 years ago by Mursock Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thanks Mursock! :)

There will be no out-of-place advertisements at all (pop-up or otherwise). And, the game will be "worth it" without paying at all.

We will have premium accounts available by subscription, but these will not be required to play (they will give you things like a bigger variety of available avatar customizations and multiple characters per account). And there will be some items that are only available for purchase (special avatar customizations, house decorations, etc.) Neither of these will effect your ability to advance in the game.

We are also considering some other possibilities, like in-game advertising *by players, for things in the game* (e.g., if you start a new religion, you can put billboards up in crowded transit hubs) and purchasable mini-games (both multiplayer games inside of Glitch where at least one player must have a "copy" of the game and single- or multi-player iPhone/iPad/Android games which unlock otherwise unavailable skills).
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • OMG YOU SAID iPad! *smooshes Stoot*
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "in-game advertising *by players, for things in the game*"

hm .. interesting!

all these ideas sound really interesting.

i do think there's room to buy items that "effect your ability to advance in the game." tho.

not that people should be required to buy certain items to do certain things, but more that people could buy certain items to do certain things more quickly or efficiently.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • All I know is, whoever came up with the idea to let people play for free but spend money for clothes and gear was an EVIL GENIUS. My bank account still bears the scars of my daughter's Mabinogi period.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That's great! I can't wait to see the mobile aspect of this game take off too!
    Posted 14 years ago by Mursock Subscriber! | Permalink
  • no please no paying for things that affect game play. maybe for clothing or designs for your house. but having to pay to get privileges in game has made me stop playing lots of games
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink