Topic

new houses!

check out the realty listings on the home page. so cute!! and some new streets too, i see.

can't wait to see them in-game, and now that we've all been reset, made homeless (and never mind what i said about the xp!), maybe we'll get to soon? :)

Posted 14 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I have always been homeless so all good! :)
    I like that they seem to be a bit more accessible price-wise this time. Sadly, my children are cutting my gametime short so I probably (still!) won't manage to buy one.
    Posted 14 years ago by onelittlebird Subscriber! | Permalink
  • the bastards shut off the game before i could buy one.

*clenches fists*
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I got one. Cool interior design if a little chilly for my tastes. :)
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I like my house a lot. A couple of cupboards and a nice big garden to grow things in - it's great! :D As an aside, an option to improve your house (buy new furniture, decorate, increase the size) through either a purchase-based or quest-based system would be great.
    Posted 14 years ago by TGDT Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I bought a little bungalow, 2 rooms with a cheezy cupboard and a nice little back yard where I already started gardening. Happy happy, joy joy: I could even afford it! (Although I had no currants left afterwards...)

"Cool"/"chilly" -- bluto, did you buy one of the ones with ice hanging off the roof? I was guessing those might be igloos...

It will be really nifty once we can see the interiors and features before buying (which I was told is coming soon).
    Posted 14 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yes mine was an igloo inside but it was cheap. It had a crap cupboard though. That's what it was called. (lol)
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have to confess that owning property has been my overriding desire every single time I have played the game. And seeing all the new houses today made it so much worse!
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I haven't had time to explore the player housing yet so I wanted to ask, are you able to upgrade your house in any way?

Also what would you guys prefer, upgrading the house you have or that there are lots of price classes so you upgrade by buying a new more expensive house?
    Posted 14 years ago by Logrus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We haven't really made this clear, but these first houses were just for us to play around with some style ideas and the general form of [house interior in cross section on right + "production" area in back yard]. The houses have storage in them now and will soon get trophy cases.

The next step (which will take a while) is to have the both interiors and exteriors be fully customizable and then make crafting better through the use of toolsets embedded in the interiors so you get production, storage and crafting in one handy package.

Houses will be upgradable (adding features, new floors or rooms, etc.) to an extent, but will also be limited by their basic type and location style which means that eventually most people will want to trade up.
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We should all start with a crap house, and then go on buying bigger and better houses
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I splashed out on a nice house in Burnabee for 3000 currants, which meant I had the privilege of owning two Crap 2x3 cupboards. The potential of extra storage is great, although I'm unsure what items I would want to keep, but not use. Harvesting is very quick, so there is no point storing up items of that nature, and I tend to keep all the items I use with me at all times.

What would be cool is if you could use the house as a place for extra storage, but be able to remotely access it. Perhaps a pet, who lived at your house, could be called upon to bring items from your house to you, and take items from your bag back to your house for storage. This way, you can delay the process (make the pet take a minute or so to arrive), but you don't have to trek all the way home to pick up items. Just a thought.
  • yes!!! what we need more of is helper monkeys!!!
  • I second the 'carrier pigeon' idea storage-wise for pets. At the moment we really don't have need for storage outside of what we carry and consume, so the concept of delayed retrieval is a grand one.

Monkeys would be epic. :D
    Posted 14 years ago by Bunyip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • keep on rocking
    Posted 14 years ago by .gatto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • if you could use your house for extra storage with a pet to retrieve stuff, why not just have an infinite pack size? i don't understand the point of house storage at that point.

"The potential of extra storage is great, although I'm unsure what items I would want to keep, but not use."

as the game gets bigger and more items are created you won't have room to carry around everything.

actually, the game doesn't even need to get bigger. in almost every previous test session i ended up with loads of stuff stored in my house simply because i had no pack room.
  • I found, really, that anything that wasn't worthwhile enough to fit in a pack was worthy of being sold to the nearest vendor. As I increased levels, however, I found myself with a hoe, watering can, knife and board, test tube, pick, beaker, grinding stone, moon and lips. That is nine usable items for 8 levels. If that continues for higher levels (which I hope it does), then you'll soon run out of available space for those items. You could either a) buy extra bags at a rather high cost or b) store them at home. If you choose to leave them at home, then you run the risk of finding yourself in a situation where you could really use an item that you don't have with you. In this instance, a pet (helper monkeys have been suggested), could bring the item you need to you. The pet need only have a storage capability of say two items, and because it would take a while to reach you, you are punished for not thinking far enough ahead, but not so much that you have to go all the way back to your home to pick an item up.

Those are my thoughts anyway!
  • "I found, really, that anything that wasn't worthwhile enough to fit in a pack was worthy of being sold to the nearest vendor."

the problem with that is that as you advance in levels and those things become useful as you gain skills to use them, you waste a tremendous amount of time and money re-buying or re-collecting them.

selling to the vendor is often of only very short term benefit.
  • Which is why, as the game progresses, we need helper monkeys!
  • i dunno about that.

"If you choose to leave them at home, then you run the risk of finding yourself in a situation where you could really use an item that you don't have with you."

that's fine since this is a game and resource management is important and a helper monkey doesn't do significantly more than a bag already does. then you have the other suggestion that people be able to teleport home at will and the helper monkey becomes somewhat redundant.
  • no helper monkey. just walk...
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Not to mention you know that the helper monkey would totally help himself to whatever food you had lying around while he was fetching you that fruit changer you needed. Damn you helper monkey!!