Topic

Eggs and Pignapping

So i wanted to talk about how animals currently work in the game. First thing i thought of when i got my own house in glitch was, wouldn't it be awesome to have some of my own pigs in here! So knowing that the baby pigs and chickens from vendors cost 10k i set out to get some eggs, however when i finally managed to craft one it not only did i realize it said i needed a chicken to hatch it but also a really high skill that you can get around animal handler 3.

This very high barrier to get even one pig my own way with the really high skill and the 10k currants to buy a chicken to hatch them with "forced" me to look for other means.
So instead i got the capture a pig skill, after catching one or two with the really cheap pig bait i realize that with meditation to compensate for the lost mood and energy you lose when you fail, i would pretty easily be able to capture every pig in glitch in a very short time and just put them all in my house.

This brings me to my point, while capturing pigs is a lot of fun and so is having pets in your house, doesn't taking pigs from the areas where everyone can use them and putting them in your house completely go against the social game that tiny speck seems to be aiming for?

Also shouldn't breeding your own animals to share with the world and put in your house have a lower barrier of entry than stealing them does. Spending hours to get this skill and buying the most expensive item in the game so far doesn't seem like a good point of entry for something that could be so beneficial for the community but not very beneficial for yourself since you can't nibble off meat that often.

Sorry about the wall of text but i think this mirrors the anti-social aspect of glitch talked about in another thread very well and i wanted to share my experience.

Posted 14 years ago by Logrus Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• "Also shouldn't breeding your own animals to share with the world and put in your house have a lower barrier of entry than stealing them does."

i think you're right. creating should come first on the skill tree, and then kidnapping. although the making depends on gardening skills to season the eggs so it would be tough to put it low on the skill tree..

anyway, you should at least get a decent amount of XP when you release a pig into a public area instead of a home, to encourage people not to hoard. since it requires buying pig bait, this couldn't be turned into a free XP exploit either.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • how do you capture pigs?? i couldnt find the skill to do it...
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i think you need a certain level of animal kinship, and then you use pig bait, which you buy from the cooking vendor.

once you get the correct level of animal kinship [i think it is level II?] a quest is unlocked where you have to kidnap some piggies.
  • You need animal kinship 3 i think and then you get another skill that you can train that makes you able to capture them.

I have to say the idea of giving exp as a reward when you put a bred pig in a public area is really good idea.
  • i have animal kindship 3 but i cant capture them...
  • Like i said, after animal kinship you unlock a skill you need to train to capture them, so you have to train that one as well.
  • As for hoarding piggies... During one of the very first tests, a player grabbed all the pigs and put them in her house. It may be worth finding the post talking about this as I'm sure something was being put in place to ensure that type of thing wouldn't happen again.
    Posted 14 years ago by Spatula Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thursday....
  • I think a limit to the number of piggies in your house would do the trick, or maybe you can have piggies equal to your kinship skill and any more than that escape after 15 minutes counting hogtied ones in your inventory. This could count for anything capturable. Butterflies are same same way with another skill aren't they? or is it chickens?
    Posted 14 years ago by Tarod Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but then if you breed them... they would just run away. how about you can only have a certain amount of captured piggies.
  • I don't wanna repeat too much of the old thread, but they have to spawn. When a pig is captured, a pig escapes from a sty or a pig tree piglet becomes an adult or it gets the plop scared out of it which becomes a pig or...

Thinking about it later, if captured pigs remained an NPC, spawning wouldn't be necessary. They'd stay on the street, wriggle free, and be available again. Make eggs to get them in your house.

Thinking about it later later, what would the point of capturing be if you can't haul them somewhere?
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "I think a limit to the number of piggies in your house would do the trick"

that would surely help, and prevent individuals from gaming the system - but glitch might still run into problems if a large number of people the maximum piggy number.

so i think you'd still want an incentive to release them in public, or auto-spawn.
  • To be perfectly honest i'm not sure if i think capturing fits in with glitch, it feels a bit awkward, the only real use i see for it since i don't really like people using it for houses is moving a few pigs from an area with a lot of the to an area with less.
  • Capturing pigs for your house used to be muy importante [get it way before the egg skill]. Nowadays it's only slightly useful: dying, badges and energy.
  • I have to admit, I kind of like having a piggy at home. I captured one and bought one, but they're just so cuuute and I like to pet them. C:

But are we really supposed to be able to name them after learning Animal Kinship __ (4 or 5 or something)? Or is it just a little "go pretend" thing? Because I wouldn't mind naming them at all. :)
    Posted 14 years ago by Bunyip Subscriber! | Permalink
  • capture isn't needed to have a piggy at home. you can always hatch one. although that is much more time consuming.
  • yeah but butterflies and chickens you have to hatch at home and can't capture. it should be the same with piggies. You have to hatch them
  • Stoot said something like they're working on a spawning model which would make capturing a non-issue. Capturing used to make the kinship skill set VERY attractive. It could have some important TBA use.