Topic

Learning skills when not in game

I've noticed that the skill clock keeps ticking up even when I've logged off, and even when the game is closed. I imagine it should only be advancing when I'm actually logged into the game.

Posted 14 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• no i'ts suppose to be like that. learning always.
    Posted 14 years ago by Alex Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I need to remember this, and sign up for something that takes loads of time right before I leave.
    Posted 14 years ago by Nanookie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "Learning always" doesn't really make sense to me. "Learning always" while in the game, yes. But, for example, the Better Learning badges require a significant time investment at the expense of learning other skills. It doesn't make sense to me that you'd be able to sign in, start the badge, log off, go to sleep, and come back in the morning with the skill acquired.
  • If we have to be logged in, people would have their computers running nonstop for 2 or 3 months to learn the current set, a game full of afk's and bigger electricity bills. We do the same thing to learn while logged in as logged out, nothing, so it makes a little bit of sense for me. You have a point to consider, tho. You aren't the first to bring it up.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It certainly will make me play for a few hours and then choose a skill with high learning time just before logging off.
    Posted 14 years ago by Skywise Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "It doesn't make sense to me that you'd be able to sign in, start the badge, log off, go to sleep, and come back in the morning with the skill acquired."

it's cool. you still have to check in between skills to start learning new stuff.

stoot mentioned a hybrid system in another thread where you could speed learning skill by doing activities related to the skill in-game, while the skill would train over time more slowly if you didn't accelerate it. i think that would be great.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "If we have to be logged in, people would have their computers running nonstop for 2 or 3 months to learn the current set, a game full of afk's and bigger electricity bills."

A lot of games log players out after N minutes of inactivity (e.g., 15). What's wrong with that approach?
  • Give it another two weeks and I bet it will make sense that you continue learning while not logged in.
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mysterious!
  • Is there a veiled insinuation that the game will be on more starting in two weeks? I know its a lot to ask for, but one can dream!
    Posted 14 years ago by Edward Subscriber! | Permalink
  • it is at least a veiled insinuation that the game will be testing again within that time period.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • a test friday, nothing next week, I bet a reset, then at least 1 test the week after
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink