Topic

Why does Glitch "application" on Facebook require personal information?

I joined the "playglitch" application on Facebook a while ago, and in light of various recent bits of publicity about Facebook privacy, I went to my Account / Privacy Settings, then Edited Status for the Applications I use. I found that the Glitch application *requires* a lot of personal data, as below. My question is... WHY?? I can either delete the application, or I have to let it access all this information: there's no option to restrict access. Could someone at Tiny Speck address this, please?

From the Facebook privacy page about Glitch:

This application can:
Access my basic information -- Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've shared with everyone.
REQUIRED

Access my profile information -- Likes, Music, TV, Movies, Books, Quotes, About Me, Activities...
REQUIRED

Online Presence --
REQUIRED

Access my family & relationships -- Significant Other and Relationship Details and Family Members and Relationship Status
REQUIRED

Access my photos and videos -- Photos, Videos and Photos and Videos of Me
REQUIRED

Access my friends' information -- Birthdays, Religious and Political Views, Family Members...
REQUIRED

Posted 14 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Hi E.R. - right now we are just using Facebook's default settings. It's possible that we have to ask for all of that in order to get Facebook auth/friend-finding integration, but we'll look in to whether it's possible for us to specify what parts we don't need (which is about 80% of the stuff on that list).
    Posted 14 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink
  • That got me curious about what all my apps allow. I have 93 apps. 87 require the default (92%) or more (2%). 6 require less (6%).
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink