Topic

WHY R U ALL SO OFFENDED BY ALL CAPS???

huh?

Posted 12 years ago by Allie Meow Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• This belongs in off topic. Or better, in response to the thread you already had.

We need a report post.
    Posted 12 years ago by Innie✿, Obviously Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because it is generally accepted that all caps is YELLING.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dinnaga Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because, to me, it comes off as begging for attention and is generally irritating. Like a kid tugging at your shirt because they need to tell you something nooooow.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shiromisa Kaya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • People who type in all caps are to be avoided like the plague.
    Posted 12 years ago by Grumple Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It is nothing but rude.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr. Babycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because stupid people offend me.
    Posted 12 years ago by Billy McBinky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • lolz

that is all
    Posted 12 years ago by Jeff Buckley Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It is attention-seeking, as Shiromisa said. Attention-seeking behavior in adults is annoying.
    Posted 12 years ago by ✰ Lorelei ✰ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What are your thoughts on using caps for EMphasis?  Is it considered socially acceptable for chat?
    Posted 12 years ago by whimpypotato Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I think EMPHASIZING a word in caps in a chat system that doesn't allow formatting is fine, although I prefer to do it like /this/. Emphasizing only half of a word is sort of odd, but I supPOSE I wouldn't be bothered by it. ;)
  • The chat system does allow for formatting so you don't have to SHOUT IN ALL CAPS: use the HTML code tags for bold or italic to try it out.

<b> Makes things bold. Close the tag when you are done. </b>

<i> Makes things italicized. Again, close the tag when you're finished. </i>
  • Ooooh, neat! Thanks. ^^
  • Yeah for real, if you want to emphasise you can also use the little buttons at the top of the post.  There is bold, italic, and linky goodness buttons.

Since the dawn of the internet (and yes I've been around for most of it... Gods I feel old) all-caps has been a shout.  And much like Loud Howard (Dilbert), people who shout all the time are really annoying.

http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/1000/300/1382/1382.strip.gif
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ooh, Lorelei, you are now my favorite. Ty! ;) I can now computer!
  • :O oooooooooo. Allie Meow spoke in ALL CAPS! thats totally offensive.......<.<  >.>
    Posted 12 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *gets my pitchfork* for my bundles of grain, ofc.
  • The Rook, it is not offensive, but it is generally understood (on The Internetz) to be YELLING and it is not just Glitchen that find being YELLED AT unpleasant. 

She asked why it annoyed people. People told her why it annoyed them. Now she knows. Problem solved! :)
  • *cough cough* sarcasm *couch couch*
    Posted 12 years ago by The Rook Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Because, you, sir or ma'am, have clearly learned nothing from the Internet.
    And because we really don't have time for you to catch up.
    Adapt, or face scorn.

Here comes the scorn.
    Posted 12 years ago by CrashTestPilot Subscriber! | Permalink
  • B/c i agree w/ Shiromisa Kaya as she said its sooooooooooooo annoying
    Posted 12 years ago by Zozabell Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's an affected 'offensiveness.'  It gives people something trivial to be 'offended' about.  Part of Chat Room Culture.  Chat Rooms have been around since the 80's, long before the Internet was publicly available to more than an academic elite, and those of us who've been around long enough know that there are things that are eternal about them.  There's a whole realm of role-play about Chat Room behavior.  And it wouldn't be the same if people didn't have little things to get huffy and righteous about.  They'd run out of things to do and have to go out and experience the Real World.  Games like this that are structured to enable 'simulated real world PLUS a chat room' must be a godsend.  Quite often some of us wish the chat windows could just be closed (where's that 'X' to click, anyway?) so we could simply play Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Parrow Gnolle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lol, I think there's plenty to do in Glitch without ~choosing to get huffy about anything. Please speak for yourself.
  • You don't have to yell.
    Posted 12 years ago by snarkle Subscriber! | Permalink