Topic

Thank You all who Served and Sacrificed...

The last US troops have left Iraq - the war is finally over...

Thank you all US military men and women for your service and sacrifices throughout these past 9 years...

Posted 12 years ago by MeherMan Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Thanks for starting this thread. :)  My Thanks, thoughts, and prayers for the dedication of all services and their families that have been part of this. So many lives that have been forever changed.  God Bless all that still continue to serve in area's of conflict. Thanks will never be enough....but its a start! <3
    Posted 12 years ago by im4noles2 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • mmmhm what about the British and Australian troops?

edited: didn't mean to sound so disrespectful of US troops, I am sure none meant to wound or kill their fellow soldiers.
    Posted 12 years ago by psibertus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Edit: Hoorah.
    Posted 12 years ago by Robert Smith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Mm thoughts to the troops but my thoughts are to the British troops who are still out there And other countries
    No disrespect but there is still a war going on
    Posted 12 years ago by Santa Clause Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I thought it would be another 10 years before the US troops left Iraq. 
    I'm shocked.

Who'd have thought they'd be able to get through the oil that quickly?
    Posted 12 years ago by Kalashnikov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Can this thread be moved, I come to the General forum to read about Glitch.
    I find the notion, that in this day and age people justify killing and maiming other people by calling it war, to be quite a damning indictment of the true stupidity of so called civilised society.
    Posted 12 years ago by OL. Der Dan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Welcome home, US soldiers! Thank you for your service!

I hope that the other countries with soldiers still there will have a similar outcome soon.

And @Robert, I hear what you're saying.  It's awful that the troops will come home to such a bad job market and a lack of support.  I'm sorry for that and if there were anything I could do, I would be glad to. 
    Posted 12 years ago by FaerieInGrey Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The White House is looking into withdrawing its troops from Afghanistan by 2014.

Via Iran.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kalashnikov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm not sure why I have to keep saying this, but... 

The Off Topic Forum is this way. Thank you. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Boom and Bust Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Welp...there's basically no way this thread is going to end well, is there.
    Posted 12 years ago by Shiromisa Kaya Subscriber! | Permalink
  • where stuff non glitch related goes

also you may be welcoming them home because there your soldiers but think about those who are still fighting and dieng and your just welcoming the remains of the us soldiers (those who are familys of soldiers) would no that its tough for them and the soldier so you should never stop giving your thoughts and prayers. because there going to have it on there mind forever and it will never go away that nasty sight from out there
  • War is over if you want it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mollie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • but war isnt over
  • There is certainly no reason to celebrate the illegal invasion of a sovereign nation on false pretenses. No reason to celebrate the deaths of hundreds of thousands of civilians nor the murder, rape, and torture it has led to. If you do wish to celebrate murderers, rapists and torturers, this is not the appropriate venue.
    Posted 12 years ago by Billy McBinky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • As a Proud Mom with two Sons in the military, a hearty Hug and unspeakable gratefulness to all of our military personnel!!!!!!  Most of America understands the sacrifices you made and are making for our great nation and it's wonderful people.  Love and prayers to all of you and your families and may you have a Joyous Christmas. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Li'll Missy Brenda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • :: applause :: Thank you for starting this thread.  I have a lot of family and dear friends who have served overseas and during the war my heart was breaking not just for them but for all the others like them over there.  Thank you God for bringing the troops home. <3 <3 <3

Thank you to our servicemen and women for all that you've sacrificed for us. <3  May God continue to bless you all the days of your life and keep you safe and well.
    Posted 12 years ago by ♪♥~ Auren ~♥♪ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Miso  & MererMan   <3  <3  <3  
  • I don't want to offfend, but if you want to help a vet, vote for candidates who will fund our hospitals, pressure the military and the VA to take decent care of wounded, and do what you can to help with the suicide rate vets suffer. 
       As a vet myself, I resent the stickers, the empty words, and the pity.  
       Pressure your boss to hire disabled veterans.  DO SOMETHING.  Vets have the rest of their lives to cope with what we saw, did and felt, and the average citizen puts a magnet or sticker on their car, or issues an empty thank you, but WON"T HIRE a disabled vet.  A lot of people are pro war, but vote and hire (actively or passively) anti soldier.   99% of Americans don't deserve their soldiers, and when I hear jingoistic chest thumping, I HATE YOU.
    Posted 12 years ago by Robert Smith Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm with @OL Der Dan, this is in the wrong forum.

History will decide the worth of the Iraq invasion, but it has nothing to do with Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Momo McGlitch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Robert Smith, Thank you for your service, with all my heart.  And yes, I do vote the right way.  I am sorry if you think I was "chest thumping"  I assure you I wasn't.  Have a wonderful Christmas and my prayers are with all of you always.
  • Now let's hope we can extricate ourselves quickly out of Pakistan & Afghanistan.  I salute and am proud of all service personnel in their fight against terrorism and helping make a better world for ALL of us.
    Posted 12 years ago by MzMunchken Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Robert Smith- Yes. All of that. +1mil.
    The suicide rate for vets is outta control as is PTSD, depression and unemployment, and people like to sit around either sniping about the injustice of war (generally those who've never served and don't know shit about it other than what they've read on some armchair politician's blog), or go on and on about defending God's favorite nation and spouting platitudes like "These colors don't run" when what that means to them is giving the rest of the world the finger. Meanwhile our country and politicians don't care about us, by and large- budget cuts, wage freezes, and civilian discrimination. If you want to "appreciate" your veterans, like Robert Smith said, DO SOMETHING. Don't spout platitudes, assess your actions and those of whom you elect if you wanna help. Know about your world.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm glad when people show gratitude for those who've served. But all too often it turns into nothing more deep than a t-shirt slogan.
    Posted 12 years ago by Djabriil Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Well yeah, Robert I *do* do all that.  And thank YOU for your service too.
    I do vote for all these things, I don't sport the bumper stickers or ribbons or whatever because I feel the exact same way you do.  Please don't think that just because we posted our thanks to veterans here, that we're just sitting idle all the rest of the time doing nothing to help those who have come home from war.  =/
  • Please remember, those who serve do so because they choose to stand up for and conserve the beliefs of our great country.  We can not expect anything to be handed to us, for any reason, just or not.  This is what we fought for and still fight for, freedom of choice and freedom from interference of personal government in our own choices.  I choose to give and serve and vote to support our country and vets, others choose not to, that is America and what we fight for.  The right to have our own opinions and Choose our battles.  No one owes anyone anything, we make our destiny in the USA, and most want to help and support the ones fighting to keep our right to do so, but because we are a free society, no one has to agree with these beliefs or support them.  That is what you are fighting for, the right to not agree and still be.  Keep on fighting, but know that all that you are today and will be tomorrow is in your own hands, not someone else's, because of those willing to fight in the military and equally those that fight silently, giving, praying, and hoping.  Don't blaim society and others for your own choices, stand and be proud that you gave selflessly for something that you believe so strongly in regardless of the vocal minorities noise.  My sons serve proudly, knowing that there could be fatal or life altering consequences, and expecting nothing in return, because they believe in the concept of America.  I am frightened and humbled daily by their sacrifice.  So, I am sorry that some of you are having a horrible time of it, I would truly change it if I could!  But I will NOT be shamed by our people or country and our beliefs.  The greatness and healing is in yourself, and those that love and cherish your sacrifices, not in government and the few noisy unhappy Americans.
  • Very well said Lil Missy. <3
  • @Lil Missy- Who's shaming you? Nothing I said was aimed at your beliefs, and my comments had nothing to do with you; I'm merely commenting on the level of commitment to those beliefs many people are willing to put into action, which is often not much. Besides, the "greatest country in the world" schtick doesn't help those who can't get help with real problems, physical and psychological problems, after laying their life on the line for their country. 
    I don't think either myself or Robert Smith are saying, "More handouts!", we're positing that all that rah-rah pro-Americanism does very little if it's hollow and isn't applied. At least I am. And as far as essentially fighting for the right to get kicked to the curb after your service is up, that's a gross misunderstanding of wishing there was more support for veterans. Nobody in the military (nobody) is fighting for the right to be passed over by the people and government they serve; that's not what "freedom from government" means by any rational definition- that means the government isn't unduly influencing the affairs of the private sector, e.g. civil rights and needless legislation. To argue otherwise is to mistake freedom from interference with freedom from constitutionally-granted assistance to service-members, a matter that the government has become increasingly lax in even though it is their duty to those who take orders from them.
    Be as patriotic as you want to, just know that slogans and self-help platitudes don't help those who've been damaged by their service any more than bumper-stickers defeat terrorism. 
  • Ron Paul 2012
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Everyone.
    This thread has spiraled like every other thread.

The thread is to commend all those US veterans who have gave their life to either protect a country, and/or protect others.
    And those who have served bravely.

While war may be wrong in some's eyes, it doesn't warrant smart ass remarks.
    And those can stay at the door.
    Leave your personal opinions at the door, and just let those whose either lost someone, or had someone serve have a little solace.
    You don't see me poking at the loved ones you lost.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • we need the 'Pentagon Papers' for Afghanistan and Iraq.

www.guardian.co.uk/commenti...
    Posted 12 years ago by Mr. Dawgg Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When a country is devestated and hundreds of thousands of people who never did anything wrong die, that's a huge injustice. Those who voluntarily participate in an illegal war are, at best stoogles and, at worst, monsters. Those in the USA military who died there died for nothing. They might still be alive if those who now shout for silence from those who would speak the unspeakable truth had, instead, shouted down the calls for a pointless, imperial war.
  • @Billy McBinky- Thanks a mint. Glad the peanut-gallery chipped in on this one. Nothing like a thread for vets- y'know, those of us who, whatever our personal politics, decided to serve in our country's armed forces for any number of reasons- to call out the trolls, is there?
  • I'm sorry if I've caused you offense, Djabrill. It's just that we trolls had to come out and say something, since the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis slaughtered since 2003 are unable to say anything at all and those being imprisoned and tortured without charge or trial don't have Internet access.

As for the USA's war dead, they'd be alive if this fiasco had never happened. Sending them off to be killed, mutilated, and psychologically scarred in an illegal, unnecessary war shows no resprect for the committment soldiers make to their country.
  • That actually goes both ways, Billy.
    Posted 12 years ago by Volkov Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Billy, please start your own thread and leave this one the way it was started, as a sincere thank you to our vets, from those of us who wish them to know they are appreciated. I promise not to invade your thread. Thank you and Merry Christmas. :)